Stamps/Singer Weekends

<p>@illinoismom93 take your mouse and hover over the blue date above the post and it gives you the time. Welcome back , you too @ummom2 !.. :-h </p>

<p>Thank you @biocellar! that did it : ) I figured out the new settings and am now getting email notifications for my subscribed threads so I’ll know when to head back over here. I do like the new tagging feature. </p>

<p>@18yrcollegemin - who is the contact listed for S/S? An admissions rep or someone from another department? A big issue with S/S this year is that, as others have mentioned, Cristi Busto left the []_[] last summer and she always coordinated the program and the weekends beautifully. Everything ran smoothly under her supervision and she certainly left some big shoes to fill. So a steep learning curve for ramping up to speed for whoever took over. I’ve wondered who would take over and have asked my daughter several times if she’d heard who might be stepping in to undertake the huge job of coordinating the three weekends. I’m wondering if a group of people is splitting up tasks and trying to do parts of the job this year and that’s why balls are being dropped re communication? </p>

<p>When we attended with my daughter two years ago I was extremely impressed by the way everything ran smooth as silk during the entire weekend. Every event was coordinated to perfection with no confusion or ambiguity. Darn that school that stole Cristi away!</p>

<p>@Biocellular - yes, my son’s weekend was for Stamps / Singer on February 28 - March 1, not the Singer only weekends.</p>

<p>The contact person is Danielle Fernandez. </p>

<p>Assume you have her email and phone if not. d.fernandez10 @ miami dot edu and (305) 284-5713</p>

<p>Yes, thanks. That is the email address and phone number I have. </p>

<p>All, I spoke to my son and he will swing by Admissions tomorrow and try to see Ms. Fernandez and let her know of the confusion/disappointment and try to get some transparency at a minimum.
Keep you posted. </p>

<p>Thanks Biocellar</p>

<p>We got a very generic email response to the wait list. I’m encouraging my daughter to email Danielle Fernandez with her questions and concerns. I am very interested to know if this precludes her for being a Singer candidate as well.</p>

<p>Thanks @Biocellar. Does your son work in Admissions?</p>

<p>@cooper1025, no my son doesn’t work in admissions. He’s a freshman Foote Fellow. One thing that sets Miami apart in my opinion is the sense of community. We felt like it was a very accessible place and there was opportunity to access any educator at any time (Shalala, Deans, on down). We visited other top 20 schools my son was accepted to and got the typical “there are students and then there is the institution and never the twain shall meet”. U is different. And I know this experience doesn’t engender belief in what I am saying but it is. Too bad this process hasn’t reinforced what is one of the U’s unique strengths.
Hopefully my son can reach out to someone and bring a sense of community back into the equation. </p>

<p>@cooper1025 - we just got that generic email response too. Still no response to emails that we sent to Danielle Fernandez personally.</p>

<p>It does look as if the tasks associated with running the S/S weekends this year have been split up which isn’t ideal of course. IllD93 says her email seeking student volunteers for the weekends came from a different contact. Last year Cristi recruited, assigned and trained the students who worked as small group leaders taking the students and parents to their mini-classes as well as those who interviewed applicants - with a professor of course. My daughter very much enjoyed interviewing the applicants at Stamps weekend and signed up for all three weekends this year. </p>

<p>I haven’t been following this thread the past couple of days, but I did not RSVP. I couldn’t when it opened because I live in Washington state, so flying down to Miami is a big ordeal, not to mention a huge expense, that my parents couldn’t agree to in one day. They finally figured out an arrangement, only for me to find out it’s at capacity. I’m so frustrated I nearly cried. How could they make such a huge scholarship boil down to RSVPing in the first couple hours?</p>

<p>This sounds like a huge mess this year. In past years, it has not been like this. I think everyone should contact the higher ups at Miami. These are the kids that Miami wants, and families need time to make arrangements. I can tell you that attending is definitely worth it. My D was lucky enough to be awarded the Stamps scholarship, and the opportunities have been incredible. </p>

<p>@4beardolls I’m pretty sure we both applied to Arts&Sciences. Not incredibly sure what his exact major is but I’m pretty sure its A&S - as is mine. </p>

<p>All, my Son stopped by Admissions and spoke with Danielle Fernandez who is running S/S weekends this year. She was aware of the issues/concerns and will be sending an explanatory email today to all that got invites. (…and NO she didn’t say what time and what millisecond it will be sent so just chill…!)
She said that the wait list is a very important part of the signup process so make sure you get on the wait list if you haven’t.</p>

<p>She felt badly about the process this year and was very apologetic to everyone that didn’t get an immediate slot. Keep trying and the wait list will hopefully be cleared.</p>

<p>Your son is to be commended for taking this initiative.</p>

<p>thanks @fallenchemist. He is a Chemistry/Marine double major so given your tag name maybe he’ll reach out for advice on the Chem side some day :)</p>

<p>Happy to help if I can.</p>

<p>When those emails referenced by @biocellar go out can someone please post the info here? I wrote a admin who was associated with S/S weekend in the past but has since moved on to a different department at the []_[] to let him know what was going on and to ask who it would be best to contact about this mess. I’d like to update him if families hear anything new from admissions. I"m hoping this was all just a computer glitch and the wait list will be folded into the acceptances immediately. People need sufficient notice to book their flights during the high-demand spring break period.</p>