Stamps/Singer Weekends

<p>Best of luck to all of the Singer/Stamps candidates this weekend. My DD will be volunteering and interviewing 4 candidates and is looking forward to the weekend as well. Hoping for beautiful weather for all of you traveling to Miami! Enjoy the weekend and don’t be shy…talk to the other candidates(they might be your fellow freshman classmates) and students you see on campus. Most students love to brag about how much they love the U and would be happy to chat with you!</p>

<p>Thanks! Looking forward to some warmer weather than the 18 deg. we have now. Feel bad that I’m leaving 3rd talll blond daughter at home :frowning: b/c she loves the U while my other 2 Ds get to enjoy it once again!</p>

<p>@ummom2 - I didn’t realize that the interviews would be done by students. I thought they were done by professors. Are they all done by students?</p>

<p>@3tallblonds - So you finally decided to go this weekend? You will love coming down to Miami! It will probably be a little rainy tomorrow but Saturday is supposed to be sunny and warm. I will look for the three of you tomorrow night. Maybe my DS can meet your girls. It’s always nice for them to start making friends in case they become classmates in the fall.</p>

<p>current student volunteers and professors interview the candidates together…the current student is randomly teamed up with a prof and they ask the interviewee questions…</p>

<p>. </p>

<p>Joined because of this thread, and it hasn’t been updated since the weekend began, anyone have any thoughts on the interviews? My DD went and felt her interview went well, but originally they had mixed up her scheduled time with someone else’s, forcing her to start her interview a good ten minutes late. We know the stamps and the singer are both long shots, just trying to see how everyone else felt about the weekend after the fact. </p>

<p>To anyone who went to Singer/Stamps weekend on 2/28-3/1, did the U indicate when the 1st set of awards (or finalists for Stamps) will be announced?</p>

<p>They said we would be notified by March 15th.</p>

<p>@jrmama496 Thank you!</p>

<p>If the notification is March 15th, does it mean this notification is only for the first of the three interview dates. How does Stamps vs. Singer award decided? What is the number of award for each? For those who advance to Stamps, does it require another round of interview?
I would appreciate it if those of you who went can explain the specific process.</p>

<p>My understanding is that they will choose up to 10 people who went this weekend as “finalists” for Stamps. Those students will then have an interview with the Stamps Foundation itself who will choose who gets the scholarship. They told us last year there were 6 winners and the previous year there were 3. I believe they will also notify Singer winners from this weekend at that time. I don’t know how many they award. They said that about 20-25% of people who were invited would get the Singer. I assume that the next two weekends will have a similar percentage that will be awarded after the weekend is completed.</p>

<p>@jrmama, thanks for the helpful information.
Does anyone know when they will contact the ones advance to the Stamp interview?</p>

<p>They said in about 2 weeks they will contact about both, Stamps and Singer. Each kid has a .6% chance of being selected for Stamps so I’m not putting any thought into it :slight_smile: We talked to MANY of the interviewees… so many lovely kids. I have no idea how they choose. The interviews were less like interviews and more like casual discussions… no tough question at all. Good luck to everyone over the next 2 weekends. Sat. was a long day but we had 2 hours of downtime so we soaked up 2 hours of incredible sun!</p>

<p>Definitely go to the parent portion. I thought that was the MOST helpful of the entire weekend. </p>

<p>@jrmama, I just saw your note about trying to meet up. You must not have seen us in the masses. Too bad, would’ve been nice. We were in green and yellow groups. </p>

<p>@3tallblonds, actually, I think we saw you at one point but we were way behind you and never quite caught up. Then we lost you. It was a nice weekend and I’m glad we were able to share our beautiful South Florida weather with all of you! </p>

<p>I too really enjoyed the parent portion. I was very impressed with the school and their efforts to be truly student-centered. My son is not thrilled with the whole interview process (he can be a bit on the quiet side), but he thought that his interview went well. The student mentor was friendly and put him at ease prior to the interview (it also probably helped that he was in the first group interviewed). He also said that the student interviewer was very nice. The interview was more of a conversation than anything else. All-in-all, a very well run weekend. Very glad that we attended!</p>