what can i do in high school to prepare myself and becoming a a nurse

<p>I want to know what classes i could take like in advancment before entering collage? </p>

<p>If your school has biology classes beyond regular bio, those might be helpful.</p>

<p>Do well in chemistry and bio</p>

<p>take some rop med classes</p>

<p>Ditto the above^^^ and use a spell check. Plus, if your high school has a candy striper program at the local hospital, you can volunteer for that club. Local hospitals each have their own strict requirements for the candy striper program because being at a hospital placement involves strict patient confidentiality (HIPAA), hygiene rules, and work ethic guidelines.<br>
Additionally, my daughters took the biotech classes offered at their high school which involved internships, second semester, at local biotech labs and companies. </p>

<p>These internships helped them, I think, get them into their universities; and for my younger dd who applied to be a lab assistant at her university, they liked her experience in cleaning and sterilization procedures. She was experienced with an autoclave and knew especially about “universal precautions” and asked about these during her interview. She got the job and later learned that of the final 12 applicants, she was the unanimous decision. </p>

<p>Yes, talk to nurses to know what you are getting into. Try to volunteer or work in a health care setting. My daughter did a volunteer stint in a hospital that was mainly working at the front desk, and unfortunately did not teach her much. </p>

<p>Watch some surgery videos so you can make sure you don’t have a weak stomach.</p>

<p>Most importantly, if your high school offers advanced or AP bio, take it. </p>

<p>Take at least one year of chem. Try to take Anatomy if it is offered. Stats is valuable. Calculus has no value for a nurse. Do your best to get at least one class in AP credit and use it to reduce your college schedule during the hardest semester (which is usually not the first year). Writing is part of the curriculum of most colleges - it is a good class to take it in high school. </p>

<p>My school offers a lot of health field related classes. If yours doesn’t offer that, see if your school allows you to take college courses (medical terminology, medical ethics, etc.), if so definitely do that. Also, if your state allows minors to become CNA’s, that course is a great start. If you pass it, it allows for job opportunities in health settings. </p>

<p>Make sure you take honors/AP science classes, especially AP biology and AP chemistry.
Study hard, challenge yourself, and strive to get ranked at the top 10% of your class and maintain a high GPA
Set a goal SAT score you want to achieve and start preparing for the test EARLY, for it is an important part of the application process.
As far as extra circulars go, you really want to stand out among the applicant pool. So look into volunteering opportunities at hospitals, research opportunities, certifications (CPR/first aid), health honor societies, internships, etc. </p>

<p>Good luck! :)</p>

<p>High SAT or ACT courses can make a huge difference…try to hit 650+ …also does your school offer Anatomy and Physiology? That would be very helpful – also suggest volunteering at a local hospital for as much as a year…my daughter worked in the gift shop and wrote a great essay about the people she met…Good Luck!</p>