STEP Program

<p>Does anyone have any experience with STEP?</p>

<p>As a parent of in an incoming freshman the STEP program seems really interesting. The only thing is that seniors usually want a break the summer after they graduate. I think it is a really good transition program for engineering. </p>

<p>My D went to STEP two years ago. It was a great transition program to prepare academically and socially for college. Most of her best friends/room mates today came from STEP. Academics are a great prep and make that first semester very doable. They have plenty of fun during STEP – so the hardship is not too bad for a summer program.</p>

<p>We just received a letter as well. It did state that if accepted, my D would be guaranteed acceptance into general engineering in the fall, the caveat being at least a B in the studies offered and passing the calculus readiness test.
Dr. Bevlee Watford seems to be the director.<br>
We are going to apply to the program, and would like to speak with her and possibly take another trip down to VTech. Does anyone know the best way to get in touch with her?</p>

<p>Is your D already accepted to the College of Engineering? If not, I am confused as the VT site says the program is only open for students to apply who are already admitted to this college.</p>

<p>My D received her second choice of Chemistry. The letter about STEP definitely said that if you pass the calculus test with a B, and A’s in the summer classes that you would be in the Engineering program this fall. If someone knows, what is the percentage of students passing the requirements and moving into the Engineering program?</p>

<p>Hi,
I found another thread where someone in fact did get a response back from the school. They said that they were expecting between 70 and 85 students. They also mentioned that about 1/3 pass with the required B’s and A’s, pass the Calc test, and enter the engineering program in the fall. It sounds competitive.</p>