Stiff competition to continue Purdue mechanical engineering after freshman year

Since we have college/high school age kids, I touch bases with a brother-in-law whose son just finished 1st year at P engineering. Apparently you must achieve a 3.2 GPA to choose ME; his S didn’t make it, his friend didn’t make it, nobody my brother-in-law knows made it, but I don’t know the actual numbers. His S is faced with not doing ME at Purdue or transferring. I think this might be fairly devastating to some who are set on ME (his son is). B-in-law thinks simply that his S is beaten out by the great students P is able to recruit. They weren’t fully aware about this weed-out process at P; they thought they avoided it by not going to UIUC.

Wow @DHMchicago thats brutal. I think kids really need to think through which college they enroll in if they have their hearts set on ME. Both Purdue and Texas A&M sound like they have lots of disappointed students after freshman year based on these types of screens. I’ll have a long talk with my son about applying to these two schools.

What are their non-ME options?

Many ME departments have that requirement now. You may want to consider the MET.

I don’t know any more than what is in my post, I thought it might be of interest to prospective students interested in ME.

My S is entering his junior year at Purdue as aerospace major. The 3.2 cutoff is for a guaranteed spot in a major. If there is room, students who fail to meet the mark can be admitted. Problem is, ME is the most popular so chances are slim if you don’t have the 3.2. ME Technology is a good alternate as 4kidsdad suggested.This info is explained to parents at College of Engineering info sessions for prospective students.