Stress is building waiting for ED decision

I applied ED to my absolute dream school and though I know I’ll hear by the 14th or 15th the wait is really killing me. I know even if I don’t get in something will work out but something about it is just so stressful. I tend to stress over a lot of things, but this just feels so big. Anyone else feeling like this?? Has anyone been through this? Any tips are much appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you also applied to other colleges and universities?

I have mentioned this before, but I hope that it might help you. When I was applying to graduate schools I was turned down by my “dream” university. A couple of weeks later I got an acceptance to my second choice. I went to my second choice and LOVED IT. Years later I finally realized that what I thought was my second choice was actually a far better fit for me. It seems likely that the admissions staff at both universities might have figured this out years before I did. Regardless, this worked out very well for me.

You should apply to a range of schools including at least one and preferably two safeties. You need to keep your budget in mind. Then you should have faith that it will work out one way or another.

6 Likes

Unfortunately you missed the golden rule of applying to college - don’t have a dream school :slight_smile:
I know, easier said than done.

Relax - if you know it’s two weeks away, then just relax, keep your mind on school or other tasks, get another app done. Hang out with your friends, take a hike, etc.

Everyone goes through this - waiting stinks - but there is light at the end of the tunnel. As long as you applied to a balanced list of reaches, targets, and safeties, you’ll be somewhere next Fall.

Best of luck.

6 Likes

im feeling it. you can either accept it and work on RD apps or watch “why x college sucks” videos

6 Likes

But if you applied ED doesn’t that mean you have not applied elsewhere? Don’t you have to wait to hear from your ED school before applying to other schools? So I’m unsure of these comments unless I am misunderstanding

1 Like

Absolutely not. You can’t apply ED anywhere else.

If you get accepted ED you need to withdraw other apps.

But it’s a HUGE MISTAKE if you didn’t apply anywhere else unless your ED school is a safety for you.

5 Likes

Aren’t you a guidance counselor…?

You may want to refresh your understanding of REA and ED as both allow under certain conditions for some non binding Early Action applications. It would for many kids be a sub optimal strategy to apply ED or REA and then simply “wait” for the result.

OP I would suggest you use a portion of the wait time to prepare RD applications just in case. This will hopefully distract you and avoid you having to scramble if you don’t get an ED acceptance. You are correct that the waiting stinks and it will work out.

Find things that make you happy and talk to a trusted adult or friend if the pressure starts to get to you. Good luck!

8 Likes

Set up some nerve outlets for yourself! Ideally a physical one, one doing something for somebody else and a creative one that absorbs your attention. When you start getting anxious either do one of them (if you can) or focus on thinking one up (if you are someplace where you can’t actually do one of them, say at school or when going to sleep). Do this every time you start getting anxious- you want to short-circuit that wasteful energy loop.

5 Likes

Someone who applies ED can apply at the same time to the following:

• EA, except where the EA school restricts against applying ED elsewhere.
  • Rolling admission.
  • RD. Note that some RD deadline are before typical ED notification dates.

Basically, only other ED or restricted-against-ED EA are prevented by applying ED.

No, unless the intent is to apply to a later ED (commonly called ED-2 or ED-II) to another school if not admitted to the first ED school.

In practice, some students applying ED have other RD applications ready to go but not submitted or paid unless/until they are not admitted to their ED school. If admitted to their ED school, they will simply not submit or pay for those RD applications. But that is different from being required to wait for the ED school’s decision.

7 Likes

This is very important.

If you do not have your RD applications in, then you need to get them in ASAP. Even where the RD deadline is not past, in some cases deadlines to be eligible for a merit scholarship may be past, or may be coming up soon.

4 Likes

I am a parent with my child applying this year, so I have a bit of a sense of how you might feel. I went through this myself for undergrad and grad schools too.

I think you have probably read this elsewhere on CC, but there is a cardinal rule, even more important than “don’t fall in love with a school” (which is very true). To me, the most important rule is “love the school that loves you.” Please keep that in mind, whatever the outcomes are in your admissions process. Make the best of it.

Also, remember that no one will care where you went to undergrad/grad etc. It’s what you do with it, and what I do love about US colleges/universities is that many of them make so many opportunities available. When you have made your final decision, run with it.

Remember: love the school that loves you. And life is what you make it.

I wish you the very best of luck!

13 Likes

thank you everyone for the kind replies :sunny:

1 Like

"Love the school that loves you back.” I understood it, but never really “got it” until recently. Clemson was my dream school for a long time - likely because I hadn’t really researched any other schools, I liked the success of the sports teams and loved the location.

Fast-forward to last year - I did in-depth research and visited schools. While Clemson was no longer my one and only, it remained in my top 5 or 6. After witnessing the cluster of Clemson EA and what I see as a somewhat arbitrary and rushed application review process, I’ve grown to dislike it - mind you, I was deferred so this may sound like sour grapes. If I’m being honest, maybe it is and maybe that’s the point - "Love the school that loves you back.”

I’ve been accepted to a few of my top choices and am waiting for a few more and of those that accepted me, I love them even more!

Good luck! I hope you find true love :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Throughout the college search process, I was impressed with my son’s ability to stay detached from schools as he knew the odds, especially at the highest selective schools, were all low and he couldn’t count on admission to any. However, he ended up being recruited to play his sport at a highly selective school where the coach cannot guarantee admission (only writes a letter to admissions on his behalf). He applied EA and we are waiting on his reply in the next few days. At this point, the tension in our house is palpable. I’m sick to my stomach and I can only imagine how he feels. He won’t discuss the other schools that have admitted him so far and won’t discuss where we go from here if he isn’t admitted to his EA school. So I get the stress. Relax, it all works out for all.

My own story to ease your tension (though it’s a 25 year old story). I grew up loving the University of Michigan and that’s where I wanted to go. I didn’t apply anywhere else initially as I was set on Michigan. Well, I got deferred EA at Michigan (and I think ultimately rejected), had to look around and ended up at the U of Wisconsin. I had the time of my life in Madison and it truly set the stage for everything good that followed. I aced my classes, met some of my best friends, was engaged to my wife by senior year and ended up at one of the top 3 law schools in the country. So relax. You’ll be fine. What you think is important now, well it isn’t.

6 Likes

Think of college as the vehicle, not the destination. Your ultimate goal isn’t where you go to college it’s what you learn and what you achieve afterwards. Regardless where you end up attending you are the person in control. Good luck in your future.

8 Likes

i hear in ~24 hours… i will be glad for this waiting period to be over!

1 Like

denied. super bummed. i have a bunch of apps ready to send in (didn’t want to spend all that money on application fees if i didn’t have to) but still also have a couple supplementals to do. not looking forward to going through this whole waiting period again

Go back to message 3

You reached, you tried and that deserves to be commended.

But you need that balanced list of targets and safeties.

Do u need a chance me to ensure you have that ?

2 Likes

I am just a Mom who wants to hug every kid on this site who receives a denial or deferral.

If you are applying to Tufts, you are clearly a very qualified and academic candidate. I know it’s hard to digest now, but please know there is an end to this arduous process and you WILL land somewhere great. New friends, experiences and classes await you.

10 Likes

Hugs to you. It’s ok to take some time (a day or two) to mourn the denial. I know it’s hard to have perspective right now, but don’t take it personally.

If you want help making sure you have a balanced list, let us know. Do you have at least one affordable safety/highly likely school?

Did you get your FAFSA straightened out per your other thread?

9 Likes