Working for Housing

<p>So, most of us students have probably gotten enough prompts to apply for student employment in University Housing. Has anyone?</p>

<p>Well, I applied and I'm currently debating actually doing it. It's a job, it's $8.35 an hour, and they schedule your hours around your class schedule. Seems all fine and dandy, but I'm curious if anyone here has worked for University Housing, specifically as a "Team Member" in food service, and would like to share their experience.</p>

<p>Honestly, the idea of working in food service doesn't really appeal to me, but I realize there really aren't many more job opportunities out there, especially within walking distance, or with as decent pay. So, does anyone have any opinions about University Housing employment to share?</p>

<p>There are many jobs around campus. That might not be my first choice.</p>

<p>Convenient, do it. You start at the bottom, ie the least glamorous jobs, but you can move up the ranks. Eons ago there were more people wanting jobs, there was a waiting list (more upperclassmen lived in the dorms then so there were more upperclassmen applying for the jobs). You can always look for a better job later. It is also a learning experience, you work with good/fun people-students like you, and they do accomodate your class schedule. Many physicians, lawyers et al have these jobs on their resume. Before you apply you can check the UW website for job postings- that might make you happier when you find out how the Res Halls jobs work around your schedule, not you choosing classes to fit your work schedule. Every job has its down sides, but the people you work with make up for it. I still remember joking about getting credit for "broom pushing 101" and being yelled at for our boisterous Christmas carols on the scrape line- we could be heard in the Kronshage dining room (now a computer lab). It was also educational to realize that some people work this type of job their entire life- yet another reason to study/graduate. Another outside the classroom experience I don't regret. Minimum wage was $1.60 back then, I remember getting $1.80, with $1.85 after midnight. Of course, my 3 semesters of use Calculus textbook was $13 back then, the $100 plus textbooks only came later in medical school...</p>

<p>barrons, it's not exactly my first choice either, but there really aren't that many options. I haven't looked too hard, but this seems like a feasible option.</p>

<p>wis75, I know I start at the bottom. I'm just not overly fond of food service. =P It's being picky, I know, but I don't want to do something I hate for 10-12 hours a week. Eh, I've already accepted as position as a Team Member, so I'll see how it goes from here. At least I'll have a job, and it may turn out to be good.</p>

<p>I worked off campus at some local restaurants and made around $20/hr with tips and less BS. And that was long ago. These days you should make more. Hard work but fun if you can handle it and the after work socializing was fun too.</p>

<p>Also it's a much better life skill to have than scraping plates. You can almost always earn a living in any city waiting tables ( a very decent living in large cities with lots of business and convention types) and some experience gives you an advantage getting a job.
Here's how one of our top alums says it helped her in life.</p>

<p>The</a> World According to Carol Bartz : The Carol Bartz Story - MORE Magazine</p>

<p>I was a cashier most of the time, after I was there a bit, no one will be stuck with the least pleasant jobs all the time. Waiting tables is hard work, all jobs have pros and cons. Do consider hours and location for any job- safety in returning to your dorm at what time of night from an off campus location... One thing to keep in mind is that there is no job a college student is too good for/no job beneath you. Some of the most highly educated people have done some of the most menial jobs while in school. Unlike at the above person's school you will serve socioeconomic peers, nothing humbling et al about it.</p>

<p>Has anyone worked for Ed's? I was offered a position there and am wondering what the job expects.</p>

<p>I applied also and am being offered a position at Frank's. </p>

<p>After a frustrating and seemingly unsuccessful summer job search, the actual certainty of a job next year seems really nice right about now (especially since I do not have any previous paying jobs, and that makes it hard to find a current job.) The pay seems good for a campus position, and Frank's is very, very close to my dorm which would also be nice. It'll also be really useful to have a job that schedules around my classes and such so easily.</p>

<p>I'd also love to work in the libraries, but, I don't know that those jobs are as easy to get as these, plus, they pay less.</p>

<p>I think I'm probably going to accept it. I don't really mind doing "grunt work", and hey, if I hate it, I can quit after the first semester, right?</p>

<p>Housing is one of the toughest and most demanding employers on campus.</p>

<p>Jobs I had while in college</p>

<p>Car wash jockey
Retail--christmas rush
Waiter
Research analyst for non profit--good one
Factory worker @ M&M candies
Hot tar melter--horrible
Property Assessor field worker--fun, met some interesting Maple Bluff housewives
Gift box packer at Swiss Colony
Other random factory temp jobs</p>

<p>Pet sitter
Babysitter (preferred pet sitting)
shoveled snow from old ladies driveways
grocery bagger
grocery stocker
car detailer (did the vacuuming)</p>

<p>tsdad, Why is that? Is the work that bad, or are they not as understanding and cooperative as they promote?</p>

<p>I have experience in dealing with full-time employees. They are held to very high standards because food has to be served to the students and dorms have to be cleaned. Snow that justifies professors from holding classes doesn't excuse housing staff from showing up; rules absolutely must be adhered to; some students behave in an arrogant and thoughtless manner towards the employees. Housing uses a blue collar mode of supervision.</p>

<p>The above makes sense- the full time kitchen employees, the ones in charge of daily operations, are typically not college grads but they know their jobs. Somewhat two parallel work forces with student supervisors for you but the full timers of course need to make sure necessary standards for food safety and cleanliness are met. No option to let the chores go undone at the end of the day or do a sloppy/unhealthy job. The high standards make eating there a pleasure and you develop an appreciation for what is involved and probably are less likely to leave extra work for the staff when you are the customer. The major advantage is location relative to the dorms and making the hours fit your class schedule. Some restaurant jobs make you vow to never eat there once you see how they operate behind the scenes. The fun part of most jobs is the people, any chore goes faster and more pleasantly with good company, the plus side of the Res Halls jobs.</p>