Students With Disabilities considered?

<p>Hi I was wondering if the UCs consider the learning disabilities of students. I was diagnosed with ADD in the end of sophomore year and I have a 3.3 weighted at a really competitive school in cal. With a 25 on the ACT and 680s on math and physics would it still be possible to get into a half decent UC ( ucsb,uci , ucd)?</p>

<p>It’s possible to be accepted to any of the UC campuses. UC takes ADHD (ADD) and other learning disabilities into consideration, the same way as other personal challenges ( family circumstances, first generation college, educational disadvantages, etc.). </p>

<p>In your case, I would want to see marked improvement in your grades since diagnosis. Be sure to discuss the challenges you have faced and how you have worked to overcome them in your essay. You may also want to address why your diagnosis was delayed (signs and symptoms of ADHD (ADD) must be present by age seven), and what accommodations you have received. Being forthright can show you understand what you need to do to succeed in college. On a single standardized test, the assumption will be that you received extra time. If you took tests under standard conditions, say so in your essay. If you took tests under both standard conditions and with approved accommodations, stress the improvement.</p>

<p>Let me also be clear, that I strongly disagree with your presumption that UCSB, UCI, and UCD are “half decent.” Each of the UCs you mention, and those you did not, have exceptional strengths and areas of relative weakness. That is true of all great universities and (even more so) of liberal arts colleges, so for goodness sake, look at what each institution has to offer you, not what USNWR gets by publishing rankings. That’s important for everyone, but it’s critical for students with special interests and those, like you, who have to overcome real obstacles. Group think can hurt you. </p>

<p>Finally, if you aren’t accepted at first, consider community college. The nature of developmental disabilities is that they are developmental. If you focus and persevere, you could be a very strong candidate for transfer.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Although paradoxical pretty much hit the nail on the head, I would like to add that as with ANY “special circumstance” you have to highlight how well you did, in spite of your challenge. DON’T DON’T DON’T DON’T make excuses for yourself…</p>

<p>Ex:
Bad - “My GPA and test scores weren’t as high as they could be because (my mom died, I was sick, I’m a bad test taker, etc etc)”</p>

<p>Good- “In high school, I tried very hard and in spite of (my mom dying, being really sick, being a bad test taker, having add, etc etc) and I feel like I’ve achieved greatly.”</p>