Study Abroad

<p>It also depends on the student’s major/course of study. Some majors or programs have so many requirements that it is virtually impossible to take a semester abroad and still graduate in four years.</p>

<p>Also, I know there are some scholarships available for these programs, but does anyone know the value of these scholarships?</p>

<p>If you wanted the European experience cheaper you could buy a Eurail card, plan your route and book hostels, and then fly to a major European city where you could connect with the train. It would be really fun to do with a group of friends.</p>

<p>[Plan</a> Your Eurail Train Trip With Timetables & Maps | Eurail.com](<a href=“http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip]Plan”>http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip)</p>

<p>[Accommodation</a> Options on a Eurail Trip | Eurail.com](<a href=“http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/accommodation]Accommodation”>http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/accommodation)</p>

<p>[Eurail</a> train travel itineraries](<a href=“http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/itineraries]Eurail”>http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/itineraries)</p>

<p>Where’s a good study abroad location for a history/philosophy major planning to go to law school?</p>

<p>Lovemy3guys, I’d think both the UA at Oxford and the UA-Greece trip would be good. My D took a history class at Oxford. I think Greece leans to the Classics.</p>

<p>I hope Rob D can elaborate on this sentence as S on current NMF scholarship. “My D also did the Alabama at Oxford program; she used her $2000 NMF stipend and received an additional $250 study abroad scholarship.”</p>

<p>Rob D - can you remember if she used her stipend toward travel expenses and does the NMF scholarship use a semester for her study? Did she do both sessions? Am unclear if using NMF scholarship for tuition counts as entire semester?</p>

<p>To all others - has anyone had a student study abroad in Germany? S interested in that.</p>

<p>Also - and this may be a dumb question - but what is the difference between “study” abroad, “summer” abroad and “semester” abroad? It looks like the summer is divided into 2 sessions, no? You can choose to do one or both, correct?</p>

<p>Study abroad can be done in the summer (Summer Abroad) or during the fall or spring (Semester Abroad).</p>

<p>As for sessions during the summer, it would depend on what is offered.</p>

<p>A NMF student can use a “semester’s worth” of scholarship towards summer abroad. RobD’s D didn’t have the extra 9th and 10th semesters of scholarship, so she probably didn’t use one of her 8 semesters of scholarship. </p>

<p>If your OOS NMF student will be enrolling next year with 10 semesters of tuition, then he/she can use one semester to cover the charges for a summer abroad. I would contact Scholarships to see exactly what the policy would be. In the past, they’ve given about $11k (increases as tuition increases) for an OOS student towards study abroad using a semester of tuition scholarship.</p>

<p>My D did the UA-Belgium (International Studies) program. She loved it. Visited London during the Olympics and went to France two separate weekends.
From memory:
$4,400 program (faculty led)
$1,800 flight (midwest to Belgium)
$1,000 personal spending money (her own that she earned from 2 summer jobs)
$ 500 food/dining (from us)</p>

<p>She returned with $35. LOL. The Parisian outdoor market sucked her right in ;)</p>

<p>@Mom2collegekids
I’m a NMF, and I was wondering if the semester of full tuition received from the NMF scholarship (you said about $11,000) will cover the full costs of tuition abroad? Also, if it does, would this mean I can use my $2,000 study abroad stipend to cover things like room and board?</p>

<p>Are you OOS?</p>

<p>The $11k will be more than enough. You’ll be able to use a good part of that towards R&B. </p>

<p>I think now the scholarship amount is about $12k (half of a year OOS).</p>

<p>^^I don’t think you can use tuition against room and board. You can’t for the summer.</p>

<p>I would contact Scholarships for details.</p>

<p>When my son was a NMF, we got a letter (and it was annoying for us instate people…lol) that the NMF scholarship would pay out a full semester’s dollars for a Study Abroad…and that most programs don’t cost that much (at the OOS rate) so left-over money could be used for other things.</p>

<p>So, if a school in Spain only charges $5000 for a semester’s worth of tuition, and an OOS student has $12k, then the student is refunded the rest of the money.</p>

<p>If that has changed, then that is new.</p>

<p>I think that whether the student get the full amount of a semester of tuition depends on whether you are doing a UA sponsored program, an exchange, or a program sponsored by another entity. For UA faculty led programs and for student exchanges, the student receives only the actual amount of the UA tuition charged for the semester. For programs where payment for the program must be made to a third party provider, it is my understanding that the student receives the full amount of their semester’s tuition scholarship (whether in state or out of state as the case may be) and can then apply that amount to the program they have chosen regardless of how the program breaks down the fees charged.</p>

<p>paying4college, that’s great info!</p>

<p>Wait, mom2collegekids, so if a student is getting the presidential from out of state, they can actually SAVE money through some semester abroad programs?</p>

<p>MystifiedMom: sorry for the late reply (I only get on CC every 1-2 weeks now.) D1 didn’t use a semester of tuition towards UA at Oxford. Because her (very generous) scholarship covers everything but food, we used part of her ESA to cover the balance of the UA at Oxford fee, D1 used her NMF stipend towards airfare and she covered her spending money from money she’d saved working. </p>

<p>I want to say that total cost ended up being around $10,000 ($7,500 program fee, $1,500 airfare, $1,000 spending money) and parental contribution was between $6,000-$7,000.</p>

<p>It didn’t seem financially prudent to “waste” a semester of tuition on a program that was only 6 credits and 4 weeks. Looking back it was wise, as D1 picked up a 2nd major and needs the full 8 semesters to complete all her requirements.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>