Subject choices

Hello, I will be starting with the IB Diploma Programme in august, but I don’t really know what subjects, and the level of those subjects I have to take in order to study economics, or computer science after I finish the IB. And the necessary grades to be accepted in a good university like Berkeley for instance.

I have chosen:
1.- Spanish A (Self taught) (SL)
2.- Norwegian B (HL)
3.- English B (HL)
4.- Economics (HL)
5.- Maths (SL)
6.- Physics (SL)

I am allowed to change the subjects and levels until the first week of September, so it would be nice to get some help here :slight_smile:

I have a couple of questions

1. Is Spanish your first language? If so, but you want to attend a US university, you should consider taking English A.
  2. Why Norwegian?
  3. Why do you want too take three languages? You’d probably be better served taking History or Business.
  4. Does your school offer IB computer science?

Yes, Spanish is my first language, I’m taking Norwegian because I am a swimmer with high chances of getting a scholarship to swim and study in the US, and Norwegian is a requirement in order to get a school loan (since I live in Norway). I took Spanish because I though that my A language was supposed to be my mother tongue, but i could change it to English A if i need to? do I really get any benefits from taking English A over English B?

Sadly, my school does not offer many subjects, like computer science, and business, but I could consider taking History(HL) even though I have heard that you have to be able to write NON-STOP to get a good mark + the workload is really high. The other subjects I can take apart from more languages and History are; Chemistry, Biology, and visual arts.

3 languages is a lot. A vs B is not an option here, so not familiar with that. I would try to find a way to do only 2.

Yes Language A is supposed to be your “first” language, but I know people (mainly at international schools) who take English A (they’re fluent, but it’s their second language), in part to show their mastery of English to US universities.
Taking 3 languages is not ideal. I would argue that history HL is better than the third language. Lots of schools (Berkeley included) will give you credit for HL history.