Syracuse Class of 2027 Official Thread

Yeah, I’m guessing at 19% yield, the acceptance rate for this year will be 45-50%. Which is not as encouraging as the 59%. I know a lot of people have considered it a safety, and it probably still is for some majors. I’m hoping that, if it drops below the magic 50%, people will no longer assume it’s a safety and there won’t be as much disappointment about unexpected outcomes. Especially for the more competitive majors.

I will be interested to see if Syracuse goes the way of some colleges and sees more applicants and lower acceptance rates. Or if it will fall into the category of (many many) other schools that have fewer applicants and increase acceptances in an attempt to meet enrollment targets. As a prof, it is sad to see schools falling into these 2 distinct categories, as it’s not correlated with the quality of the institutions. It’s tough out there for some colleges and it’s only going to get tougher. Looks like Syracuse might be lucky enough to be one of the ones that won’t struggle so much.

2 Likes

My girl just got into the Honors College :orange_heart::blue_heart:

3 Likes

Congrats!!! Is she planning on living in the honors LLC?

We will need to decide if she plays the ED card but from what I’ve been able to find it isn’t as much of an advantage at Syracuse as it is at similar schools.

Would you say Maxwell is one of the more competitive programs? I know Newhouse and architecture are very tough admits.

She is! Still trying to determine how she wants to find a roommate.

1 Like

Is she on My Roomie? My daughter has met a lot of kids that way and is talking to a few about potential roommates. It seems like it does a good job of matching who would be compatible. Good luck!! Sadler looks awesome!

When do they need to find their own roommate by? Before one is randomly selected (by roommate matching)?

My oldest has done roommate matching for a few years now and has had pretty good luck so we aren’t totally against it.

She isn’t on there yet because you have to officially commit first. We are trying to negotiate a bit more money, so she will get on there as soon as that is all taken care of (or next Monday at the latest!) And yes, I’ve heard Sadler is great.

So exciting! If you have any questions a local can help you with, let me know!

I received my law degree at SU, so I’m pretty familiar, but I certainly appreciate it!!

Closest ski hill and how much does it cost to ski and transportation to and from if he doesnt have a car?

I’m not a skiier, (I snow boarded in college, does that count? Lol) but Four Seasons has got to be closest. I think Song Mountain are Labrador are “better”? No clue about transportation, but I would think they would have some deal with the University? Or a club through the school? Good question!!

Hey guys, current SU sophomore here. Just wanted to help out if you’re trying to decide whether to commit here -

If you applied/got into Newhouse, it is absolutely worth coming here since the school has a world-renowned communications program.

Some other things to consider

Are you an extroverted, party-oriented person? Does the thought of joining Greek life sound super interesting to you? If so, this might be the place for you. If not, reconsider your choice. 85% of social life here revolves around Greek life and parties. If you’re not into that stuff, you may find yourself struggling to fit in socially here (of course, not the case for everyone, but for a lot of people including myself this has been the case). If social life is important to you but you don’t want to join Greek life or are a huge party person, I would consider committing somewhere else. This school unfortunately revolves around Greek life at an extremely high degree. If that’s for you, great! If not, consider whether you’d be happy with that type of environment.

There are lots of pros and cons to coming here, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for weighing in! What about Newhouse for someone who has zero interest in Greek life? Still worth it?

I have a junior daughter who wants a BA in film. The Newhouse program looks amazing, but I’m not sure the social scene would be a fit.

I would ask your daughter how important social life is to her. If shes more academic focused and doesn’t care if she doesn’t “fit in” with the Greek life / social scene, then Newhouse would be great. The school has a fantastic comm. program.

If social life is super important for her, I’d consider other schools as well. When I applied here I had no idea the massive influence Greek life has on social life. It can be hard to make lasting friends here without joining Greek life/going to parties, so if your daughter has no interest in that, I’d look at other options too. Of course if she doesn’t care about that, then syracuse could be great for her.

It’s important to note that syracuse has a massive party /Greek life scene. Like, bigger than you’d imagine. It’s very influential on campus life here.

1 Like

Thank you - truly helpful as D24’s friends mean the world to her, and just today I was wondering if Syracuse’s strength in film was enough to balance out the imperfect social fit.
Sounds like we should keep moving.
All the best to you!

1 Like

Class of 2026 parent here. My son is not involved in Greek life at all and he has made a lot of friends. There is a heavy partying culture, but you do not have to go Greek. He is not Newhouse, but that doesn’t really matter as the kids are all mixed together socially and his friends are at various schools. He met his group in his dorm.

2 Likes

I think about a third of students are in the greek system, which seems like about what it was when I was there 30 years ago. I have a son going there in the fall that doesn’t want to party and/or get involved with the prototypical greek social life. I had a lot of friends outside the greek system (I was in it). It probably accelerates the development of a social life, but 70% of kids are finding something else to do! That’s a big number.

2 Likes

An SU alum here 30+ years ago too and I was in a sorority. I still have friends from my Greek life but most of my life-long friends were my dormmates from freshman and sophomore years. At least at that time, SU had a big intramural program and the different dorm floors would compete against each other which created a lot of comradery. Also, I’m not sure if it’s changed, but the vast majority of students don’t rush freshman year like the large southern and Midwest schools; we rushed the fall of sophomore year, so you had a whole year to make friends outside of the sorority.

2 Likes