Tablets for note taking and organization

<p>Any students, or parents of students have any input on organization and not taking using a tablet? Particualrly android based instead of ipad? We are considering one for my son, and I would realy like to know if it is helpful or not, and any apps or programs that are useful. I understand that there is at least one program that will turn hand writing into text, but I am not sure what it is. </p>

<p>THanks!</p>

<p>my daughter took my ipad this semester to try it out. i don’t know how she likes it yet.</p>

<p>she knows a few friends that use an ipad and she wanted to give it a try.</p>

<p>i know this doesn’t answer your question, but maybe i will get some feedback soon. : )</p>

<p>I think my tour guide said you can download textbooks onto your iPad, not sure about Android tablets, but that is a nice option.</p>

<p>A friend was selling her ipad 1 for $225, so I bought it for my daughter’s senior year in high school.</p>

<p>It has been absolutely fantastic for her schoolwork. She uses a notepad app and writes notes with her fingertip in calculus. It would be hard to type with all the math symbols and crazy characters, so a laptop would not work for this. She has a iMac desktop computer at home, so she can transfer her work easily back and forth between the two, and print from her computer at home. What’s really amazing is she has access to her calculus book from her iPad, so she can be literally anywhere & do homework or review for tests. </p>

<p>When she was working on college apps it was a godsend. She would copy essay files she was working on at home to the iPad, then she could work on them at any time she had free time at school, at friends, when she was on trips. She has no trouble typing with the touch keyboard and she types at lightning speed directly on the touchscreen. The ipad pretty much goes with her everywhere now, especially with the ability to check facebook anywhere there is wifi. </p>

<p>I don’t know that we would have spent $599 for a new one for a high school student, but what she had been able to do with it academically has been amazing. I’m sold that the Apple iPad is pretty awesome. Her best friend has now saved up her babysitting money and bought herself an iPad 2. If one of them misses a class, they send each other their notes electronically.</p>

<p>I was originally thinking I would send her off to college with a new laptop. But now I think she is already set with the iPad. Even though it’s an iPad 1 instead of an iPad 2, they both run the same apps, and it’s the apps & what you can do, that make it valuable. So, she said she is fine going off to college with her iPad 1. </p>

<p>Now we’re just debating on the main computer for her dorm room. I had an expensive MacBook laptop and it needed constant repairs then died in 3 yrs, just after the extended warranty ran out, so I am not an Apple laptop fan. I am considering sending her off to college with her large iMac desktop. Laptops get stolen all the time, and who would want to steal an old, heavy iMAc? Hopefully, no one.</p>

<p>FWIW, I just downloaded a very nifty app for my Android-based Motorola Xoom tablet called Handrite Pro. It cost less than $3.00. It allows you to free write/draw with your finger, switch seamlessly to the keyboard and insert text, insert pictures/graphics, adjust the size/width of your handwriting, export directly from your note to e-mail, copy/cut/paste anything you enter, choose virtually any color for your pen, save your files/notes to recognizable names, and more.</p>

<p>I can see this being very useful for classes, meetings, scribbling down phone numbers as you listen to voice mail, doodling during a boring lecture, or anything else that requires paper and pen. It received 4.5 out of 5 stars by users/reviewers on the Android marketplace and I can see why.</p>

<p>Thanks, a new tablet is getting ready to come out that has a keyboard docking station, and can travel with it too. I do like the option of being able to hand write the notes on the tablet. I have heard of students that push the notes to a cloud, and can then retrieve them from any place/any computer with internet access. I thought that could be helpful too.
My son is one of those that has not needed a calendar to do well in school. I do not expect this to continue in college. I was hoping that a tablet may help with the organization and transition to actually using a calendar program.</p>

<p>I am looking for a good tablet again for son to use next year. Want it to be a complement to his laptop, can be used as a mobile second monitor, and can put books on it. Would like it for notes as well as calendaring. </p>

<p>We are verizon wireless, so we have mobile hot spot on cell phones. So any tablet with wifi will work well, as long as it is reliable, and can be used for monitor/math/computer science type stuff.</p>

<p>Any ideas or experiences? </p>

<p>(We don’t “do” apple products! LOL)</p>

<p>ipad all the way! : )</p>

<p>I agree, Ipad 2 or 3. He won’t need the mobile hotspot on campus. He can use the campus wifi and not use your deduct from your data plan. We were not a mac family until just before she left, but now everything is apple. Great guys in the Supe to work on them if necessary.</p>

<p>my son is so against using apple, being a computer nerd does that, I think. Apple tends to cater to less capable people like me! LOL </p>

<p>We are considering the Asus Transformer Prime…</p>

<p>iPad 2 or 3.</p>

<p>There’s an app that STEM kids really like that allows them to draw things into their notes (like chem structures) and even cut/paste them elsewhere into notes.</p>

<p>Also, get the keyboard that doubles as a cover.</p>

<p>I think that is the Idraw ap…</p>

<p>vlines: My son believes in the old-fashion method – purchase a binder, notebook paper and pens. Sure, he has a laptop often in class with him, but some professors are not crazy about technology in the classroom. After all, they are the show, not a website, drawing program or Facebook.</p>

<p>We got DD an iPad 3 with the clam case (protective with keyboard) and she loves it. Already using it for her AP Bio class. The book is easy to highlight and turns all highlighted text into study cards.</p>

<p>If you student uses an iPad in college, how expensive is it to get the textbook for the iPad? How do you know if the same text the prof uses is available on the iPad? Are there any apps that you student highly recommends? Although, knowing my D, she is definitely going to take a notebook and pencils to class. I am trying to get her to read on a Nook or Kindle, and she refuses.</p>

<p>vlines- My son agrees with your son about Apple products. What is your son’s major?</p>

<p>“If you student uses an iPad in college, how expensive is it to get the textbook for the iPad?”
linnylu - As I recall, when we looked at the ebook versions for this spring, the ebook tended to be a little less expensive than the new “real” text and more expensive than a used “real” book. Son got all “real” books even though I thought the ebooks had some helpful features.</p>

<p>“How do you know if the same text the prof uses is available on the iPad?” We looked on Amazon.com for the text and it would always say if the ebook was available.</p>

<p>I will add that one downside to ebooks is that you can’t sell them back as “used”, which I think is something my son considered important.</p>

<p>Personally I wouldn’t go with the ebooks if it is to be the only source. Our D, who was originally opposed, found the best fit for her was the loose leaf book in many cases. Although she was VERY reluctant, they were especially useful in Chemistry and Organic Chemistry because it allowed her to lighten her load in her backpack by only carrying the chapters she needed and swapping them out…just a thought. My kids like ebooks, but they still want the paper in their hands. And yes, you can sell the looseleaf back.</p>

<p>Son is computer science major…why he is more into the google or Ms systems. He is planning hi 3 monitor set up for school lol. I am hoping that he can use the tablet as a second mobile mmonitor. He likes having a compiler open on a second screen when writing programs. </p>

<p>I would like for him to have an on screen writing program for math and science too.</p>