Take the class credit or the grade?

<p>My DS has a situation that I would like the wisdom of this great UA CC group to provide. He will be a freshman in the fall and has been awarded the Presidential and has already been accepted into the STEM MBA program. He is currently taking a second year calculus course offered by Georgia Tech (distance calculus) at his HS. The kids in the class from HS are physically in a classroom in HS and they video conference the actual class from GT. It was very competitive to get accepted into the class as a HS student. He took AP calculus last year (b/c) and received a 5 on the AP test. After getting off to a great start in the class, he is now getting a B and will most likely end up with a B (outside chance of pulling it up to an A). Since this is not an AP class, if he is to receive credit at UA the grade will transfer. He did confirm this with UA. This will be the first B he has ever received and is freaking out a little bit. He does not want to start off with a B in college and is thinking about not transferring the course for credit to avoid the B. I told him to not worry and take the credit. This is an extremely hard course and not worry about the B. One other point to consider, he will be a CS major in the STEM MBA program and wants to graduate in 3 years to use the 4th year of the Presidential for the MBA degree (made possible by the recent change in the Presidential Scholarship that now allows year 4 to be used for grad school) so accumulating college credit in advance is important to enable him the get his undergrad degree in 3 years. Is my advice to him on point? Thanks so much for your feedback!</p>

<p>He does not have an option. Alabama requires all transcripts from other colleges be sent to UA. My son took dual enrollment courses and the corresponding AP test. He used the AP credit at Bama, but the college grade is still counted in his overall GPA EVEN THOUGH he did not receive credit for the college course. </p>

<p>That said, I am sure there are students that do not follow the UA requirements and do not send proper transcripts.</p>

<p>A B is not the end of the world. I personally think it is good for the kids to experience some of this and not put unrealistic expectations on themselves.</p>

<p>I would take the credit. I don’t think a B in an advanced math course is a bad grade. My D is a good student with a Presidential scholarship and does not have all A’s in her UA math courses. Plus, as Longhaul points out, you’re supposed to send all of your college transcripts.</p>

<p>UA’s honesty pledge, which students sign each semester, require students to be honest in their interactions with the University. Failing to submit required transcripts may be considered a violation of the pledge and would thus require a meeting with judicial affairs.</p>

<p>In the long run, a student will be fine with a small number of Bs and maybe a C or two on their transcript provided they have a way to explain the lower grades when asked. It’s very possible to graduate summa cum laude with the occasional B or C in a UA course, let alone a transfer course which isn’t calculated when determining Latin honors.</p>

<p>Thanks for the great feedback so far. Certainly didn’t want to imply the he was contemplating doing anything unethical. Now that we know from your feedback that all course work must be submitted, he will certainly do so. Maybe this will supply the extra motivation to ace the final exam!</p>

<p>The B does not factor into UA’s GPA for scholarship purposes. </p>

<p>That’s good information Class2012Mom. That was one of his concerns.</p>

<p>Just to clarify for those reading this, the course your S is taking through GT is actually Calc III, am I right? (The AP B/C exam he took covered both Calc I and Calc II.) Having that much math behind him going into college is well worth the B grade, and will put him in good stead for what he wants to do going forward. Well done. </p>

<p>That is correct aeromom. He puts a lot of pressure on himself so I really appreciate the great feedback. As someone who was ecstatic to pull out a C in my first semester calc class back in the day (and I was actually a pretty good math student heading into college), I understand this is an accomplishment and hate to see him get down over this. The big picture is really positive. As Longhaul mentioned, this is a good lesson to have realistic expectations (still have big goals and standards) and don’t let stress get the better of you.</p>

<p>I need to correct my previous response. The AP B/C exam provided credit for Calc I. The current GT course is for calc II. Next semester he will take the GT course for calc III. So he will have credit for all three prior to next fall.</p>

<p>ProudPapaBear, don’t forget that he can apply for the University Scholars program and start working on his masters after 90 credit hours. My son is a CS student and took his first graduate classes in the 2nd semester of his 2nd year. Through this program, he “should” get both his undergraduate degree in CS and Math, and his Masters in the 4 years. However, he is not in the STEM-MBA program so I don’t know how being in this effects the University Scholars program.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your S for earning the scholarship and joining the STEM MBA program!</p>

<p>As others have said, the B counts. Generally, every student gets a B at some point. The shock of it will wear off. I know it was hard for me when my D received a B in Chem Honors. She got over it before I did!! Ha! Ha!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Your son sounds like mine pretty much doing same thing with aero engineering with stem MBA. He took college classes and AP his last 2yrs. My son never had lower than an A on anything, came in with a 4.0 on his college classes. Tell him yes take the credits my son came in with all 3 cal. plus others and the advisors told some to retake some of the math courses. If your son felt like he knew the work, do not retake them. You son has lots of classes to take and full loads don’t waste retaking one. Just saying prepare your son, my son has said he has done more studying and hw first couple of months then he did all HS and he has A’s and B’s right now. At least he finally feels like he is being challenged .lol</p>

<p>OP, are you sure your son didn’t take Calc A/B? Generally A/B provides credit for Calc 1, B/C provides credit for Calc 1 and 2, although depending upon your subsection scores, you might only get credit for Calc 1. The B/C course covers the Calc 2 material, though.</p>

<p>I thought the same, but after checking with my son, he did indeed take B/C (which is for a full year, not one semester) so I assumed it was credit for calc I and II. He did score a 5 on the AP B/C exam. Was told it covers one semester college level course (calc I) over a full HS year and thus only receives credit for college level calc I. I will double check with him again today since my original thought was similar to yours. As mentioned however, he will have calc II and III complete via the GT classes he is taking his senior year.</p>

<p>My children took AP Cal B/C, made 5’s, and received credit for both Cal 1 and 2. Is it possible he took the A/B test or the 5 was the A/B subscore?</p>

<p>A 5 on the Calc BC exam gets you credit for Calc I&II at UA. However GT only gives credit for Calc I (Math 1501). As OP has stated, son is currently taking Calc II (Math 1502). </p>

<p>Thanks for all this great feedback but now I am a little confused. Yes, he definitely took calc B/C and received a 5 on the AP test. Since he was originally planning on attending GT, before he fell in love with UA, he applied for and got into the GT calc II course as skieurope stated above. My question now is if UA gives credit for calc I AND II from the HS AP class, will he also get some additional credit for the GT Math 1502 course or only for the AP class. I would hate to think all of the work he put into the GT course (and the stress of getting a B) would all be for naught and no additional credit would be obtained. Thanks again if anyone knows the answer to this. Much appreciated!</p>

<p>I seriously doubt that he would get credit for both.</p>

<p>That’s too bad if that is true. Taking the class does however enable him to take calc III next semester so he will at least get additional credit for that course. I guess at the end of the day he should still feel good that he will have received credit for calc I, II, and III prior to starting college.</p>