Talk to me about the Residence Halls

<p>I'm bumping this up, to give my thoughts on the residence halls, now that we have visited.</p>

<p>There's a very different feel between the southeast area and the lakeshore area. My son preferred the lakeshore halls, as I suspected he might. My guess is he'll put down Liz as his first choice, but more likely get into one of the others. At first I felt like the lakeshore dorms were SO FAR AWAY, but after actually walking it, it's really no big deal. We live in a hilly area, so the hills at UW are no big deal to us. The lakeshore path is beautiful, it's like being on a nice (somewhat flat) hike, and it's a nice way to go from the lakeshore halls to the memorial union. I like that all of the residence halls in the lakeshore area look similar (just a silly aesthetic thing on my part). The food at Holt Commons didn't look like anything to write home about; dorm food is dorm food. But the location is good, in between all of the easternmost lakeshore dorms. We were not able to go into Liz and see the dining hall there. Oh, also the "backyards" of the lakeshore dorms were neat, they had small barbecues among the grass and trees (I'm assuming there was grass under the snow!). It's just really pretty and quiet there.</p>

<p>For the student who likes to be in the middle of everything, the southeast area is like living in downtown. High-rise buildings, traffic, lots of people and bustle about. We went into a room at Sellery, and it was a typical dorm room like we've seen at most other universities. The size looked to be about average. One of the beds was lofted, and they include a refrigerator. I wish they would have showed us the common areas, laundry, kitchens, etc. I will just have to assume from the brochure, that those things are present in each residential hall. The southeast dorms are very close to the SERF (the southeast rec facility) and to Kohl Center, while the lakeshore dorms are near the other rec facility called the Natorium.</p>

<p>As everyone says, it's just a matter of preference, what type of environment you like!</p>

<p>We also visited University House - Langdon, which is one of the private dorms. It's about 5 blocks (?) up Langdon St. from the northeast end of campus. Langdon St. is also home to many fraternity and sorority houses, which may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the person. UH Langdon was quite nice, I must say. There's staff at the front desk at all times, a little sitting area in the lobby with a flat screen TV. There is a computer center, a fitness room, a sauna, a nice cafeteria, a movie room; and each floor has a "family room" with a flat screen TV. No kitchen facilities. They offer singles, deluxe singles (which are the same size as a double), and a double. Their furniture is nice. Bring your own fridge. the "RA" does not monitor students, so I think there is a lot of freedom there. HOWEVER, I heard this over and over again: these dorms tend to be populated by the "coasties," the kids from east and west coasts, many of whom have money. (My son is a coastie, but from Oregon, and we're hardly poor but not big spenders either. I don't think these dorms would be a good fit for him. He was intrigued by the single room, because he would prefer not to have a roommate. But I firmly believe that he will integrate better in university-owned housing, and might even get a single room if he requests one.) One caveat with the UH dorms is that it's an all-you-can-eat meal plan. You buy a certain number of points each year: each breakfast is worth so many points, lunch another set of points, dinner another. My personal opinion is that the all-you-can-eat mentality is wasteful and contributes tremendously to the freshman 15. Also, the only places you can use those points is at the UH Langdon, UH Statesider, or UH Towers. Maybe some of the other UH dorms, but those are even farther away. My point being that it would be mighty inconvenient to eat lunch there in between classes. Breakfast and dinner may not be a problem. I have no idea if you get your money back if you do not use your points, but my guess is no. </p>

<p>The UH Towers is on the corner of Frances and Langdon, and the Statesider is on the corner of Frances and State St. (hence, the name). They both look beautiful. They're more expensive than the Langdon. The Langdon is actually less expensive than university residence halls, but you would definitely have to supplement your food with a Wiscard account (and not get the 10.5% discount that university residence hall students get), so it might work out to be about the same cost overall.</p>

<p>Anyway, those are just my thoughts with everything fresh in my mind. Feel free to add more comments, but I think in general, this thread has a lot of good input! Thanks to all of you who have commented! :)</p>

<p>(Wanted to add that we did turn in his residence hall contract while we were there!)</p>

<p>my daughter sent in her housing contract at wisconsin. We just learned about the private housing. Is it too late since we sent in the contract. Also being a girl from iowa who is very well traveled and can keep up with the "coasties", but is very down to earth, which would she be better to live in, the public or private housing.</p>

<p>My understanding is that once a student turns in that form, unless they decide to attend another school, they are bound to live in university-owned housing for their freshman year at UW.</p>

<p>You can get out of it by "buying out" your dorm room at 85% of its cost. Not worth it, IMO. See how it goes for the first year in a dorm. Then you can choose whether you want her to go public or private for her sophomore year.</p>

<p>A contract is a contract. Oregonianmom is correct. They do give warnings in visible places in their literature for incoming and returning students. Being in Res Halls is a good way to be a freshman.</p>

<p>You want either Witte or Selery hall. These dorms are by far the worst dorms in terms of living conditions, but are the best in terms of meeting new people and enjoying your residence hall experience. My freshman year I lived in Witte (same style as Selery) and I hated the living conditions but I would never have traded it for a spot in Smith, and here's why:
1. Smith (and now Ogg) are filled with sophomores who are more than likely socially awkward people since they are still living in the dorms (most students don't live in dorms past their freshman year) so making friends becomes very difficult.
2. The rooms in these other dorms are bigger and nicer but they are also more spreak out and private and the doors automatically shut, which you think would be a good thing, but on my floor the guys doors were always open so everyone got to knowing each other and now one year later, even though we all live in different places all over campus, we still get together on weekends and hang out</p>

<p>Go Badgers!</p>

<p>so your saying that if my daughter doesnt get into witte or selerly she wont have a good freshman year. I cant believe that the newer dorms dont have freshman in it. how can the housing just put sophmores in the newer dorms. shouldnt be a mix. This housing decision is adding stress to incomming freshman. I would like to hear from students who have stayed in the newer dorms like ogg and smyth,and what are the chances she will get into the dorm she requests?</p>

<p>Wrong about not having a good freshman year in other dorms. Res Halls says 23-27% (I'd call it 1/4) of students return to the dorms. I do not consider those any less socially adept than those not there, especially in the most desirable dorms. They reserve 1/2 of the spots in each dorm (except the all freshman and all upperclassmen two) for freshmen. Getting the dorm one requests depends on the popularity of the favored dorm- two years ago 1/3 of the students wanted Liz and 1/3 wante Smith as first choice, obviously 2/3 of the students couldn't fit in only two dorms... Make sure you put down your priority location, listing all the lakeshore or southeast dorms you prefer first. The worst case scenario is getting the least favored dorm, the good thing about that is it will likely have mostly freshmen. Consider this- many of the elite private schools have horrible housing from reading CC posts. Don't worry too much.</p>

<p>The new dorms do have freshman in them, but not as many as the more traditinoal dorms do. Obviously, if your daughter doesn't live in Witte or Selery it doesn't mean that she's not going to have a good time I have many friends who lived in other dorms, but the fact is that most of the freshman live in the southeast area of campus and they mostly live in Witte or Selery. One of my current roommates lived over on the lakeshore and I went over to his place occasionally, but the vast majority of the time he came to my place because it was a better atmosphere and filled with people who are eager to get to know each other. I think the new Ogg does a better job at making the floors more social than Smith does, but it still doesn't compare to Witte or Selery. I have a friend that lived in a single in Smith and I don't think he hangs out with anyone from his dorm anymore. I have experience the many different kinds of living conditions on campus, and although Witte and Selery are not the most attractive places to stay, they are a great place to be for freshman year</p>

<p>There is nothing wrong with being in Lakeshore, Liz Waters (awesome), or Chadbourne either.</p>

<p>I really like the lakeshore atmosphere. It's closer to picnic point and seems a little more relaxed. However, Ogg and Smith are palaces in room comparison. They also are more apartment style as the max people per bathroom is 8 (instead of around 30 on my floor).</p>

<p>How difficult is it to get into Selley/Witte? I'm looking for a pretty social dorm and will probably rank them 1/2 (not sure which order though). They both have 1000+ students so will I most likely get one of them, or do that many people have them ranked high?</p>

<p>When I came to Madison I had Witte ranked 6th on my sheet, so if you rank them both 1 or 2 you should have no problem-most people are going to want Smith or Ogg anyway because it's much nicer than the other dorms, but then most of them just migrate over to Witte or Selery and hang out there because the concentration of people living over there is greater than anywhere else on campus.</p>

<p>Most people in Sellery/Witte ranked them very low and got put there because the other dorms filled up, you would have absolutely no problem. IMO, the rooms are very cramped and no matter what dorm you are in, you will find a great social atmosphere so you shouldn't necessarily limit yourself to those two.</p>

<p>My son is interested in a single room. He has ranked all the dorms that offer single rooms highest on his list. I wonder what his chances of getting a single room are?</p>

<p>He also likes the International Learning Community (at Adams), which would be a unique option and also has some single rooms.</p>

<p>I still am not at all decided!</p>

<p>I just want to make sure before I keep thinking- as long as I get the rankings in before May 1, I have an equal shot at getting the dorms at the top of my list, right? IE) It's not like the earlier you submit it, the better odds you have.</p>

<p>That's what I've gathered, but it's better to be safe than sorry!</p>

<p>Well, the Lucky is built over a UW building so I guess it is technically "on" the campus. So to speak. Living in new contruction is great if it all works Day 1. That rarely happens.</p>

<p>Matterbug, I believe that is correct. Your final submission on May 1 is what counts. You can change it countless times between now and then, but your ranking becomes final on May 1. On the tour, they told us you're likely to get one of your top 6-7 choices. So, don't rank any halls in your top 6-7 that you aren't prepared to love. ;)</p>

<p>Correct, no first-come-first-served like at Minnesota. And you should find out your room assignment before the first SOAR session- helpful when you get to tour your fall dorm/see a sample room then. So, make your final choices and good luck. Pay attention to which dorms are lakeshore and which southeast- you don't want to slip in the "wrong" area as one of your top choices and wonder why you picked all those others but ended up far from them...</p>

<p>Reviving this thread.</p>

<p>Anyone have any opinions/info on Bradley? I know Chadbourne has a more central location and probably a little bit better program-wise for a Learning Community, but I definitely like the Lakeshore area and would like to stay over there.</p>