TAMU Blinn-TEAM : Fall 2017 parent perspective

I was accepted into Blinn Team this morning. Will they still offer scholarship, like the one we fill when we apply ? Or i have to do another one?

@Crystal12345 : CONGRATULATIONS ON BLINN TEAM!! WHOOP! :slight_smile:

I am so sorry but I don’t know anything about the scholarships for TAMU Blinn TEAM. Please check the official website and contact the financial aid offices at both campuses as soon as possible so that you get all of the correct info.

WHOOP! :slight_smile:

@Crystal12345
I do not know the answer to your question but do check out the costs of attending Blinn https://www.blinn.edu/college_expenses.pdf

As a Blinn Team Member, you are co-enrolled at Blinn and at A&M. Your costs will be higher at A&M because the cost is more per hour (but you will only be taking 5 hrs max), your meal plan and housing.

Here is some scholarship information https://www.blinn.edu/finaid/scholar.html

Do you mind sharing your stats?

@Thelma2
Thank you!

I talked with one of the admission officers, she said the overall tuition will be cheaper if you are on the Blinn Team.
My Sat is 1370 570R/800Math
Ranking: 11/57
GPA 3.75/4
Took 5 ap classes total

I really think I can be fully admitted at first, so seems like Blinn Team is also a good way to be a Aggie!

@AggieMomAgain thank you!

@Crystal12345 what date did you apply and what is your major?

@AggieMomAgain I just want to say thank you for sharing your experiences and wisdom with us! I’m elated that my daughter got into BlinnTeam… now we wait to see what she will decide. Her ultimate goal is to graduate with an RN license. I look forward to speaking with advisors on this specific situation and how BlinnTeam will or will not be a favorable route for her. And Aggie Saturday is in two days! Whoop!

@Krod77 : Glad to help! Blinn -TEAM has turned out to be such a great opportunity for my daughter that I wanted to spread the word! Parents on CC answered my questions last year so I am just passing it on!

I hope that Blinn TEAM works out for y’all. I know of someone from Blinn-TEAM 2012 who is now in Nursing school in the Houston area so it has been done. I think she graduated on time from TAMU in 2016 with a degree in Allied Health. I don’t know any specifics about the process or what sort of nursing she plans to pursue. She was my older daughter’s Freshman roommate.

Have fun at Aggie Saturday! TAMU is such a friendly place!

Hi @AggieMomAgain thank you for all the support and answers during this challenging time. I was hoping you wouldn’t mind answering some questions.
My D was accepted to Blinn and major was changed to General Studies. What classes/major path does she follow? Which NSC does she sign up for as they are set up by Major? Are there advisors she could speak to before NSC to get a plan in place for course selections? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

@beckistew : Glad to help! :slight_smile: I am excited for all of the new AGGIES! And the new Aggie Families, too. Join an Aggie Mom’s Club in your area if possible. They are also a wealth of info as you go through the years. :slight_smile: And they have great monthly programs, etc.

Blinn-TEAM students need to sign up for an NSC which includes Blinn-TEAM. Don’t look for a specific major, just dates that include Blinn-TEAM. Last year there were a lot of dates that listed Blinn-TEAM. My daughter signed up for NSC in early June. There will be several general info sessions during NSC and there will be an info session specific to Blinn-TEAM. The Blinn TEAM advisers will be the ones to help with her Fall 2018 schedule selection. This will be a time that you can ask questions in person but the time is short and a lot of people are there.

For info on what to do to be on the right path for the eventual major, go to the Blinn TEAM website and check for pathway that leads to the major or is as close to the class list for the preferred TAMU major. My daughter will be majoring in something in Liberal Arts and that process is different. And contact the Blinn-TEAM advisors (contact info on website) for all of the latest official info. Things change and I don’t want to give the wrong info. They do answer questions by email.

Take a copy of the HS transcript with you to NSC and take a copy of the course requirements for the path to the TAMU Major. That makes it easier to keep up with which courses need to be taken in the Fall. If you student has any Dual Creditedit classes, make sure that the credit for those classes has been sent by the Community College to TAMU BEFORE NSC. Don’t expect that the HS will do that, the credit needs to be from the CC. My Daughter’s HS Registrar was no help, but she may have been new. :confused: . Contact the CC right after HS Graduation and they should walk you through the process. Take a copy of the dual credit course numbers with you and a list of what courses they equal at TAMU. We didn’t get that done before NSC and there was some confusion as to the course equivalence and my daughter had to make a course correction later in the Summer. It wasn’t that difficult but it took a bit of extra time.

All Dual Credit classes have to be accepted but AP classes do not. Check with the Blinn TEAM advisers as well as advisors for the preferred major as to what AP credit should be used. I think that AP credit can also be accepted over a period of time, it does not have to be all dealt with at the beginning. My daughter’s AP English III overlapped with her Dual Credit English taken in her Senior HS year so she accepted the DC and not the AP.

I helped my daughter find some of the info but I also encouraged her to figure out what to do. TAMU likes for the students to be the Point of Contact and the student will have to learn to navigate the process. It can be nerve wracking, my D is a procrastinator. But she has managed her time well this Fall, much better than she did in the Summer! :slight_smile:

There are ways to check out the reputation of the professors before hand. I think “Rate my Prof” is one and at TAMU they also have a way to see what number of As and Bs were earned in their classes. Ask the Blinn-TEAM advisor for that process.

Good luck! WHOOP!! :slight_smile:

CONGRATS to all the Blinn Team accepts. Great program that you have been selected for and, if in the long run you want your diploma to say Texas A&M you are on the right track.

My TAMU Class of 2019 was a Blinn Team accept her Freshman year. While her initial reaction was frustration (had waited 6 months, 6 days; 27 ACT, 4.0 GPA, A&M had placed her in 1st Quarter, Lots of ECs, Leadership, Work, Service Hours, Recommendations, All 3 essays,classmates with lower stats had been accepted …) it ended up being a WONDERFUL solution. She transferred to full A&M for the beginning of her Sophomore year. Just ordered her Aggie Ring and is on track to graduate May 2019. Don’t lose heart!

A TAMU academic adviser told my daughter “If you want to graduate from Texas A&M don’t let your short term pride get in the way of your long term goals. Don’t turn down a Blinn Team or Gateway offer because you’re offended and then be angry at TAMU for years. Take those offers, come to TAMU and make your college goals come true.” He was right!!!

@AggieMomAgain wow!! Thank you for answering my questions and then some! You have really helped us out! My daughter is a big planner and this gives her steps to focus on! Bless you and other parents coming back to help us newbies every year!

@beckistew: :slight_smile: Glad to help!!

There was a question about the campuses of Blinn in Bryan,TX versus Blinn in Brenham, TX on one of the other threads so I am copying that info here. Sorry for the confusion!

The Blinn-TEAM classes are held on the Blinn Campus in Bryan, TX. It is less than 5 miles from the TAMU campus in College Station. Don’t confuse Blinn in Bryan, TX with Blinn in Brenham, TX. Bryan and CStat are smack up against each other! Brenham is way down Hwy 6 from CStat!

Blinn-TEAM students take classes at both Blinn Bryan campus and TAMU campus. There are buses that run between the campuses several times an hour. The ride takes maybe 15 minutes unless it is “rush hour” around 8 am or 5 pm. There are also stops along the way for people who live further off campus.

Schedule classes for a “Blinn day” and a “TAMU day” if at all possible is best so that your student doesn’t have to commute between the campuses on the same day. My daughter scheduled 3 classes at Blinn all on the same day. She takes the bus from the TAMU campus, (parking at Blinn is atrocious), and stays for several hours. She uses the time between classes to study.

Am I correct in assuming Blinn Team equals Transition Academic Programs when signing up for NSC? There is not a Blinn Team option

It sounds logical that an NSC which includes Transition Academic Programs would be the sessions to go to for Blinn-TEAM. :slight_smile:

Please check out all of the info online about the current procedures for Blinn-TEAM, I don’t want to inadvertently give out the wrong info.

My daughter signed up for NSC, so I don’t think I saw that info last year.

Spoke to Admissions and they told me you may sign up for any NSC date that pulls up from your account for Blinn Team. It will pull up only the ones you may go to by default.

That is great! Makes a lot of sense to set it up that way! :slight_smile:

Have fun! Wear comfortable shoes, the campus is BIG! I am so excited for all of the new Aggies and their families!
WHOOP!

We are too!! No place like Aggieland❤️

HELP!
Does anyone know what courses are available at the Blinn College? I find a form for biology major

http://blinnteam.tamu.edu/AdmissionAgreements.aspx

which has some require courses from A&M and Blinn. But the credit hours there are definitely not enough for 45 credit hours at Blinn. I assume that is not all the courses that Blinn offers.Can someone help me out plz?

What do the 6 tabs look like that some of the posts have been referring to?