TAMU Class of 2022 - Admissions Decisions

@snkla15 welcome to Texas! I moved here from Northern cal (a long time ago) to go to Tamu and never left. My advice is to get involved with people that are like minded but also with those that aren’t so like minded. Eng clubs or a sports group or both. Just be open minded and receiving to all those fresh faces that want to meet you!

6 days later, still no response about my class rank. I don’t expect to be told why I was rejected but I need more information to develop a case if I am to appeal. I did talk a little about my LGBT and other minority statuses in my honors essay. The school is conservative and not known to be very LGBT-friendly. Since my numbers are good and I was not offered alternate majors (if biochemistry filled up), I believe it is safe to assume I was rejected because they did not feel like I was a good fit for them. There is a very low chance there was a confusion with my residency status.

@hookorbycrook It was spring break last week. Don’t lose hope.

@hookorbycrook : The delay is probably due to TAMU being on Spring Break last week. Don’t give up hope. I doubt that your LGBT status info was a factor. Call the admissions office and keep track of who you speak with, someone has to be able to tell you what areas were weak in your application. Good luck, hang in there!. Keep us posted.

@hookorbycrook This is a situation where you want to follow through, otherwise, you may look back later and wonder why you didn’t! It’s always gratifying to see young people like you who care about their future. Call Admissions and ask how you might get more information about your application. I wouldn’t let it go, no, until I had as much explanation as I could get.

@hookorbycrook your LGBT status had 0 influence on your application as far as that being an issue for admissions. UT denied you as well, based on your same qualifications and they have a large LGBT community. Neither school will admit you or deny you for being LGBT. It is your qualifications first and foremost.

There is something in your application that made you less competitive to be offered any other admissions pathway than PSA. Though your AIS doesn’t reflect your rank, A&M obviously has one for you in order to offer you PSA. If your application was incomplete with no rank (earned or assigned) then your application would not be complete and it would have been tossed out and you would have received a complete rejection.

SAT score is but one item on a list of what is taken into consideration. Talk to an admissions person and see if you can get answers to what that weakness is and then have your new information to present, with documentation to back it up, to explain that weakness. Know going in, that A&M is a highly selective university. Admissions has a system that works for them statistically, and they often disagree with those appealing an admissions decision. Very few appeals are successful.

That said, The big advantage of PSA is that it does indeed provide a GUARANTEE of admission for any students who successfully satisfy the requirements. It GUARANTEES admission into a specific major as well.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

I applied for housing back in September, but I can’t find where it tells me I have priority housing. Is it in the housing application somewhere? Also does anyone know when the roomate finder will open up?

@newaggie22 If you applied for housing and paid your deposit within 30 days of acceptance then you have priority housing. I believe an email is suppose to come out when you are able to look for roomies and stuff. Selection process for rooms themselves won’t be until May.

@AggieMomhelp How does that work? Do we get notice via email that we can go in and choose our rooms? Are the rooms first come first served? Also, how does the roommate finder work?

@GManmom123

Yes, you will receive an email that says the date and time that your room selection opens.

Yes, it is first come first serve. Somewhere in all of the threads, I wrote up the process. I’ll see if I can find it and repost.

Edit to add: Post #6
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21380624#Comment_21380624

Anyone done the online orientation yet? It said it’s supposed to open up in April, but I haven’t seen it

I don’t think the orientation is open yet. I’ve looked everywhere on Howdy (I might have missed something though).

The online orientation is in our Howdy portal today.
Go to the “My Record” tab, then you should see a link in the section for “New Student Conference Preparation.”

My son appealed his PSA decision based on his GPA being impacted by his 3 sports related concussions. I know chances are VERY slim he will be admitted. Has anyone who appealed heard one way of another? It says he will be notified by May 15th.
Thanks in advance and Gig 'em!

When did you apply: October 15th, 2017
When did you get your UIN: October 18th, 2017
When did you receive your admission decision: October 18th, 2017
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering
Did you get in: Yes (found out two weeks into December)
Honors program: No
Class Rank: 4/113
SAT: 1210
ACT: 25