TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@fatherof2boys THAT is a GREAT sign! Mind you he applied with his first choice major of Mays but didn’t apply to Mays directly. It’s first come first served. If he’s already admitted then he has a great shot of getting straight into Mays this early in the game. I too am surprised a review candidate heard this early and applying 2 months after applications opened. His SAT is just short of academic admit so that is probably why! Congrats. Oh tell him to check the manage application on Howdy. It’ll show if his first choice major is still Mays (This is under application tab).

Thanks @AggieMomhelp for the info. I asked my son for his login info and went in myself to check and this is what appears when I clicked on “manage application”

Application Status: Under Review Level : Undergraduate Major: BUAD Program: BAC-BUAD

Do I take this as good news? If so, I think this is because of the expanded resume that my son submitted showing all of the leadership positions he has at his school and being very detailed about his volunteer activities. Also, his essay was really good.

My review admit (144/1003 rank,1370 SAT (770M/600R)) son has 6 tabs today. Excited for him!

When did you apply: Sep 25
When did you get your UIN: Sep 28
When did you receive your admission decision: Haven’t yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Not Sure
Major/College of Choice: Business Administration (Mays)
Class Rank: My School Doesn’t Rank
SAT: 1360
ACT: 31

Can someone elaborate on how A&M assigns ranks to schools that don’t rank? I’m trying to apply OOS and I’m hoping that I have a chance of getting into Mays. I know there is an algorithm of sorts but I was wondering if someone who was more knowledgeable could chime in. Also, my transcripts were sent a while ago but they aren’t in according to AIS. Hopefully they weren’t lost in the mail or something.

@Thelma2
On the Howdy portal, under Manage Applications, it now says:
“Whoop you have been Admitted! Major: ENGE Program: BAC-ENGE-MS”

However, my AIS is unchanged and still shows engineering review.

Does that mean I have been admitted to engineering?

@wolfgang54 If your gpa is high enough, they will typically score in top quarter. You’ll be academic admit with your test scores assuming your GPA reflects the same intellect as your test scores! AND… I would definitely call admissions and ask about transcript. they can look it up and help you. They are great with specific questions. It’s the “hey when will I hear” questions they can’t answer! Keep us posted.

@fatherof2boys yes… BUAD business administration! Congrats! Very rare for holistic review candidates to get Mays and to hear back in October!

@brl2000

I think the "“Whoop you have been Admitted!” is a dead give away LOL!! CONGRATULATIONS! =D>

@AggieMomhelp @fatherof2boys

It is entirely unusual for a review applicant to be admitted this soon, and I wouldn’t count my chicks just yet. Those who heard in Nov and Dec last year had their major change to second choice major by the time the decision was released. Not to say it will do that this time, but that has been the trend the past three admissions cycles.

@cannonmom is that SEAL event invitational only? Where do we get info on that? My DS already got admitted although we haven’t accepted pending decisions from other schools. thanks.

@wolfgang54, my DS is going to an TX HS that don’t rank pass top 10%. He is not so the school did not provide any ranking. However, the HS provides TAMU their school profile that should provide them with gpa info of the graduating class. When we went to a TAMU event last year, the dean of admissions told me that they use this to estimate/assign individuals that are not ranked, and this typically favors the applicant. Meaning, they are likely to assign a higher ranking than your true ranking had the school provided it. TAMU’s assigned ranking should show up in his MyHowdy site where Rank is shown – for my son showed “1st Quartile” which told me that TAMU assigned him this rank. Being at 1st quartile then made him eligible to be an academic admit if his scores were high enough. In fact, it did, and he got accepted last Sept 19! Good luck!

@fatherof2boys my son got his acceptance a few days after his 3 tabs turned to 6 tabs! So definitely a good sign; everything I’ve read up says this only happens if you get accepted. Since Mays is highly competitive, it may just be acceptance to TAMU but may still need review for Mays. Not sure, but definitely a good sign. Exciting times! Good luck!

@fatherof2boys I had the exact same day today! My son got 6 tabs. And, just like yours:

Application Status: Under Review Level : Undergraduate Major: BUAD Program: BAC-BUAD

Here is his detail:
When did you apply: Aug 5
When did you get your UIN: Aug 7
When did you receive your admission decision: Haven’t yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Not Sure
Major/College of Choice: Business Administration (Mays)
Class Rank: 168/492
SAT: 1460
ACT: 32

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2 I did not expect to hear back in October so I’ll temper expectations for now. My eldest son was review applicant for both TAMU and UT-Austin for the Class of 2020. He was notified of his admission to UT in mid-November, and then his admission to A&M shortly thereafter . In each case he was awarded his first choice major; however, that major was in the College of Liberal Arts so maybe it was not so competitive.

@gingytx thanks for the info respecting the timing of when the notification of six tabs translate into an actual acceptance. Given we only have one more workday left this week, i guess my family will cautiously hope to hear some good news sometime next week. I really appreciate you providing that info because I totally forgot how long it took for my eldest son to receive his admission decision after the six tabs showed up on his portal.

@parentofkids Congrats on the six tabs. Sounds like your child and mine are in the same situation. I can share with you some information that may be of interest to you. Back in mid-July I emailed the A&M admissions center to ask whether in the prior admission cycle any review applicants were admitted to Mays. I initially did not receive a response to my email and I assumed that this was just proprietary, nonpublic information. However, i eventually did an email response. This is, word for word, the response I received from the Houston Admission Office: “Pardon me, I am just now seeing your email. We do have holistically reviewed applicants who have ascertained spots in Mays Business School.”

I received that response on July 18 so keep hope alive!

@parentofkids, I have some additional information that may be relevant for you child respecting Mays. Back during the summer of 2017, my son and I attended a A&M admissions session in College Station. During that session, the person conducting the presentation on the admissions process explained the need to apply early and A&M’s rolling admissions process. At the conclusion during the Q&A, I asked the counselor when did the admission slots in Mays fill up. I cant find my notes; however, I recall that the counselor may have stated that Mays was filled up at the end of October.

If my recollection is correct, then that likely means that if our kids, as review applicants, are going to have any chance of being admitted to Mays, then they would need to get their general university acceptance this month. This is more sobering news then what i shared above, and it makes those six tabs populating in our kids’ Howdy portal that more imperative.

If you have 6 tabs and your manage application page shows buad then I would be stunned if they weren’t in Mays. Mays does not review any candidates. Admissions places candidates on first come basis. Therefore, they have been accepted (with tabs) and the you’ve been admitted page will more than likely update tomorrow or early next week. I’m not trying to give false hope. If anything I hold back on that and shoot people extremely straight. But based on past info your son is in Mays. Can’t wait for you to tell me I’m right!!!

@Thelma2 I agree nov and dec acceptance majors were changed last year (sadly my sons) but that was when they received 6 tabs. Once you have the 6 tabs, your major shows up on howdy. I haven’t seen anyone say it changed after 6 tabs and the acceptance on ais came shortly after the tabs came. But agree that I have not heard in the past 3 or 4 years holistic review candidates getting tabs this early.

My daughter’s AIS page now says Major: General Engineering (Computer Science) with the Register for NSC or Decline offer tabs!! WHOOP!!

@gingytx SEAL is based on a first come, first served basis, not invitation. The take only 150 kids, so I was surprised when I went to register and actually was able to.

They have other opportunities to experience campus life, like Whoopin’ Weekend that takes place in late February! Just visit the Aggie Recruitment Committee website!