TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@sportingclaymom is it showing the transcript is not complete or class rank? The reason I ask is my daughters school for some reason did not send her GPA with her transcript and the class rank had a red X for several weeks. It took me three contacts to finally figure out that they didn’t have what they needed. The first two they told me it will just take time.

Actually it says that both have been received but not reviewed, so both are yellow. His HS doesn’t rank but I know that A&M works around that.

@AggieDreamin We are at Heritage. Where can I find the school profile that tells what GPAs go with which quartile? Did Reedy not send a rank at all? This is all so confusing. Your daughter’s weighted GPA is better than my son’s (4.66) so I can imagine how disappointed you guys are as well. Does she have other schools that she is interested in?

Here is my daughters information-

Applied: July 6th
Major: Kinesiology
SAT: 1320
GPA: 3.96
EC: 3 year Varsity sport, NHS, Leadership class, has a lot of service hours at school functions and in the community, 2 mission trips

Does Kinesiology fill up?

@highhopes25 The counselor should be able to provide it. We had her write a recommendation letter to explain just how close she was to the cutoff. Maybe that could be an option for your son. I have no idea if it will help. She is accepted into Tech and was able to secure Talkington (best option for dorms) but she doesn’t want to go there. She really has her heart set on A&M. Worse case she might just go to Blinn and transfer in but at the end of the day she will have to go with her heart on what feels right. Still hoping she gets in or at least is offered Blinn Team. :slight_smile:

Here is my son’s information:

Applied: Oct 4th
Received UIN: Oct 9th
Rank: the private school he attends does not rank, but AIS lists him as 1st quarter
SAT: N/A
ACT: 30 (Science 30, Math 25, Eng 33, Reading 32, STEM 28)
Major: Aerospace Engineering
TAMU admission status: still in review
College of Engineering status: ?
Unweighted GPA: 3.2 (school just started weighted grades this semester so don’t have that until after finals)

EC’s: has played on the High School golf team since 7th grade, Varsity golf Sophomore/Junior, co-captain Varsity golf Junior, captain Senior. Caddied at Hazeltine National for 2 summers, participates in school dinner theater/drama. Dual credit History in Junior year and dual credit History and English this year.

He has already been accepted into Kansas University’s College of Engineering and Arizona State University’s Aerospace Engineering Program (and they have offered him a substantial merit scholarship). We will be out of state for the first year but moving to either AZ or TX based upon his college choice.

Just wondering what his chances are of a full admit to College Station and then into Engineering program. He heard from the others within a month of applying in early Fall so the waiting for this one is hard! This is a great forum and you all sharing your experiences is very helpful!

@tamu23plz Sorry, I meant Blinn Team. It’s when you are admitted to TAMU and have all the perks of an Aggie, but you take some classes at Blinn and the one or two on tamu campus. It’s very popular and competitive. You can’t apply for it, it will be offered to students as an alternative admissions. Hope that helps.

@tamuhopeful2023 They will accept him into TAMU and if he doesn’t get engineering, then they will ask him to choose a different major. I wish they would tell seniors to not put both majors as engineering since everyone is placed in general engineering freshman year. It’s possible they could be looking at him for the Engineering academies or Galveston. Both are great options if truly only has passion for Engineering.

@txmom23 She has a great shot at full admissions or alternative pathway. Looks very well rounded so she should score pretty well on all sides. Sometimes students are very lopsided and that can hurt them. Of course anyone wtih a super high ACT/SAT will typically get in… but it has to be almost perfect if they have a bad ranking. 1320 SAT is about a 28 ACT. My son got in with that last year. The only problem with guess or predicting, is we haven’t really had a solid wave to compare stats.

@momtoonly OMG he’s so close to automatic. That math act subscore may hurt him for engineering, but his overall stats should get him into TAMU in general.

@highhopes25 @AggieDreamin We’re in Frisco as well (Centennial) and think this non-ranking policy is going to hurt our daughter. The schools in our district are competitive enough, I think “first quartile”, looks much worse than 13%, which is where she was at when they ranked last year. Grouping with all those kids in that band seems like it would hurt her. I think our district is doing kids a disservice doing away with ranking. In any case, I hope they look more at her weighted GPA than the first quartile designation. If she doesn’t get in as an accept to A&M, we’re probably going CAP at UT (assuming she doesn’t get in there either). We’ve thought about Tech, but she’s worked too hard to go to a school where acceptance is fairly easy.

@DadinFrisco Welcome to the Frisco club! At least your daughter is in 1Q @highhopes25 and my daughter got stuck in 2Q (25%-50%). Considering we were likely something like 25.1% and @highhopes25 at 21.5% it is a major bummer to be lumped into such a large range. Totally agree on Tech being very easy to get into. My daughter says “if you can’t get your grades up get your guns up” which is why she also feels she has worked too hard for that and would likely just go to Blinn before going to Tech. Either way major ego bust. But will hope for the best! Good luck to both of you!!!

Uggh, 25.1% is really unfortunate. I feel like now they’re grouping your daughter with half the applicants including other schools. That’s ridiculous based on how competitive our schools are. Again, hopefully they look at GPA and the quality of our schools instead of the quartile. Anyway, good luck to you as well! I really hope it works out.

After reading many of the posts, it seems like a strong ACT (30 in my son’s case) is negatively outweighed by being placed in the 2nd quartile with a 3.8. We had no idea where he would rank since his school is non-ranking. Is this the case? I’ve read many posts with a 1st quartile rank but a 27 or 28 ACT being told it’s likely the applicant will receive full admit or at least Team. Just trying to understand the logic of it all. My son pushed himself hard to get the application submitted the day it opened but I’m not sure it will help. Makes me wonder why they tell kids to get it in early unless they are auto/academic and don’t want to miss a spot. Praying we all have some wonderful news for our kids in the New Year or sooner! I’m growing tired of the waiting game ?

@papimama501 I know it sounds like it doesn’t make sense, but there is an algorithm they use and it takes into account score and rank to predict a GPA from tamu. If the student doesn’t rank strong among their peers in HS, then that algorithm sees that. A really strong ACT can offset the ranking. A 30 is great and if your son is close to top quarter, I think he has a great shot at full admit. The admissions dept is very thorough.

I would love to see what the algorithm showed for my son. Top 14% with 28 ACT. Got a 4.0 this semester… pretty sure it didn’t score him at that. So while the algorithm may not be 100% accurate, I think it’s the best way they have to get everyone on the same playing field.

@AggieMomhelp thanks for the reply. Yes, that 2 points away in Math for auto admit is tough…especially after putting in the work to raise his comp from a 28 ,which included Math of 20, within a few months. So we’re pretty proud of him for that and if he ends up a Sun Devil instead of an Aggie then it’s all good!

Here is my DS information-

Applied: Sept 30
Major: Engineering
Class Rank: 37%
SAT: 1470 (Math 750, English 720) & 1450 (Math 780, English 650)
ACT: 33 (English 35, Math 36, Science 29, Reading 32)
GPA: 3.98 weighted, 3.46 un-weighted

EC: VP Engineering Students Club, All-American Junior Skeet National finalist, Technology Students Association CO2 dragster design National top 10 finalist two years in a row. Texas State Skeet Shooting Champion, multiple Engineering Design CADD drawing State-level top 3 placements, 2 regional robotics competitions 2nd place, and etc.

Apparently his class ranking sucks, how bad do you think his class ranking is hurting his chance for full admission? Thank you in advance for your input!

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2

here’s my son’s info:

When did you apply: 11/27
When did you get your UIN: 11/30
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: Waiting
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering - Computer Science
Did you get in: waiting
Class Rank: 204/784
SAT (with Math Subscore): 1300 (Math:650 Reading:640)
GPA: unweighted:3.80 weighted:4.7
AP Classes: Physics, Computer Science, English, Econ, Government, History,
EC: Game Design Club, Summer job as QA and SW apprentice

Can you help me get an idea of what are his chances for admission?

@eTown23 First… your son looks like a pretty smart kiddo. Were there extenuating circumstances for his rank that he explained in his essay. His ACT is phenomenal and I’m not sure the rank will matter as much with a perfect score in english and near perfect in math. His ECs are really strong as well and shows his passion for engineering. What maths and sciences did he take. @thelma2 swears by calc and physics readiness when engineering reviews the students. They want them to hit the ground running so to speak. I feel he’ll be accepted to TAMU but may get an academy for engineering if not full admit.

@prdr01 UGH…his ranking is just outside top quarter. SAT is solid so I think he has a fighting chance for full admissions. Being a later than early engineering applicant, may push back his decision date because I think he could be on the bubble for engineering full admit. @thelma2 is so much better at this for engineering. I’m sure she’ll weigh in soon!

@AggieMomHelp Thanks for your input, it gives me hope that he still has a chance. I will wait for @Thelma2 to comment. He goes to a competitive school where SAT 1450 is average score among his peers. He is currently taking Calculus AB and AP Physics 2. He took the AP exams on Comp Sci and AP Physics 1 in junior year and scored a 4 on both. At this point, I realize how important class ranking is regardless of how competitive the student pool is from the high school. A lesson learned too late in this process. Nonetheless, I appreciate your time giving the feedback.

Thank you AggieMomHelp!

Thanks, @AggieMomhelp