TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

But the Blinn classes will cost less even for oos, right?

obviously, ALL the people who have applied for tamu wont go there so how does a&m decide who gets in and who doesnt? because i think half who have applied dont go to tamuā€¦ how do they regulate

62061 applied, 34233 admitted vs 16956 enrolled last Fall. I think this is in part caused by the top x% rule. A good number of admitted to tamu applied to utā€™s and other big schools as well and may turn down tamu for other options, either merit scholarship and/or name. A school usually have an idea (est) how many would turn down the offer, so they gave out more offers.

@class24mom

At the NSC conference talk to the Biology academic advisors. A form for the Honors program is on the TAMU college of Biology site. This form can be submitted now. Go to the Texas A&M Biology Honors Program Site.
My daughter is '23 Animal Science-honors.
Incoming Freshman
To be admitted to Biology Honors incoming freshmen should have total SAT score above 1300 or an ACT composite score above 29. Incoming freshmen should indicate their interest in Biology Honors on the ApplyTexas website by choosing ā€œApply to Any Honors Programā€. Students who have submitted their ApplyTexas application but still wish to apply to the Biology Honors program can use the ā€œApply to Any Honors Programā€ link at the Texas A&M Honors Programs Site.

There is no formal freshman application to Biology Honors. Students join the Biology Honors program during their New Student Conference in the summer. Students who have indicated an interest in Biology Honors through ApplyTexas or the Texas A&M Honors Programs Site and meet minimum requirements will be contacted in February and provided additional information on how to join during their New Student Conference.

Has anyone received any type of offers today?? In particular, would love to know if anyone in Engineering has heard anything. Thanks.

Based on past statistics, does anyone know when the ā€œwavesā€ could be for engineering decisions this week? Wondering to alleviate at least some anxiety.

Not sure where the stats came from but TAMU has never enrolled 17k freshman students. 2019 is reported like this:

42,014 applications (these are completed app)
23,840 were admitted
10,253 actually enrolled. Engineering being about 37% of that number and Mays being around 10% of total enrolled.

Iā€™m not sure what numbers you are looking at @icedmachiato

Last year at TAMU
42,014 Applied
23,840 Admitted (56.74%)
10,253 Enrolled (43%)

I thought maybe you were talking UT (Iā€™m not up on their stats) but I see that 8,960 enrolled there (They keep their freshman class smaller than TAMU).

But @arkeldi for years - you can look at the Applied/Admitted/Enrolled data and it follows a very clear percentage every year. And that is just the simplistic look. Iā€™m sure admissions have a much deep dive into % out of state that enroll. % of students with certain test scores. % student that take Blinn TEAM.

Things will be a tad uncertain with the removal of academic admits next year - but I believe they have been doing prep work, maybe modeling, last year and this year. I would be really surprised if they were not looking at every academic admit this year - and determining if that person would be a holistic admit next year. They are probably looking at the academic admit retention rate and seeing if there is any issue there.

UTD did away with automatic admissions outside of the top 10 percent a few years ago. It use to be that if you had certain test scores you were automatically admitted. It was kinda surprising at a school that was actively growing since introducing freshmen and sophomores in 1990. (Austin, Dallas, and Rio Grande are the UT System schools that have review for everyone not in Top 6%/10%) But they wanted to keep growing a highly academic, and successful student population.

I guess when they looked at the struggling students - they noticed a pattern of solid test scores - but lower class rank/GPA. While they made it clear most people that would have been admitted under the previous score standards were still going to be admitted - they wanted to take a closer, holistic look at all of the applicants. Iā€™m assuming if you were around the middle 50% of your graduating class - they were going to make sure the rigor was there - and that your grades showed improvement junior and senior year.

@YankeeTexan33 @Akhil365 The past week or two was mostly Blinn, TEAM and waitlist offers for a lot of majors but did NOT include Engineering. Expecting that wave this and next week. History shows A&M typically does this on Tuesdayā€™s. My son is in Holistic Review. Applied in July. Still waiting and hopeful. Good luck to you!

Is Blinn Team binding? Could one accept and then if another college offer a better financial package, can you then withdraw?

We still have not heard yet, but wanted to ask as people write that you have to accept as soon as possible as it fills up fast and once spots are taken, you are out of luck?

Is there a reason as to why some have been waitlisted and others havenā€™t?
And why are some being waitlisted earlier than others?

maybe I am crazy, but I cant see replies on any thread. I am so sorry, but how do I see the replies?
update- I see there is one reply on my comment, but I cannot figure out how to see it. Oh my word I fee like a grandma!! ha

@ā€œon.kwonā€ Speculation is they did announcements in reverse order. Supposedly full admit Holistics are next. One can only hope.

@kartmom17 - Does this mean that if certain major are full (ie Mays) that people may still receive a full admit holistic for Mays is still an option? Or if you are full admit holistic could they change your major to something else ?

No. May is full.

You can probably call a regional admissions center and they will tell you.

You know Mays is full when auto and academic admits who applied later start getting their second choice major. If Mays had openings - they would have been placed in Mays.

@AggieMomhelp @BlueBayouAZ Here is the link
https://accountability.tamu.edu/All-Metrics/Mixed-Metrics/Applied,-Admitted,-Enrolled

Iā€™'m hoping that is the case too!

You did not filter at all. You need to filter for undergraduate and for first time in college.

Your numbers included transfers and graduate students.

If you filter you get the numbers @AggieMomhelp and I posted.

Iā€™m rly anxious about my chances, so anyone willing to give their opinion based on what I have as an applicant?

Engineering major (CS), still in review, applied in September so Iā€™m an early applicant. Really nervous and hoping for a decision this week.

1460 SAT (770 math, 690 verbal)

3.6 UW, 4.6 W (TOP 26%, only reason why Iā€™m not an auto admit. Unlucky ig)

Mostly AP/Pre-AP courses taken (for course rigor)

Mostly volunteering ECs, but one in particular involves working with kids with disabilities (150+ hours here, very involved, wrote my essay on this).

Essay: Wrote about the above EC as my opportunity (and how it changed my perspective on life) and visiting a foreign country as my challenge (and how it was a challenge adjusting to 2 cultures: American and Indian). Everyone whoā€™s read it, including some AOs, have said itā€™s very good.

Do I have a good shot? Please respond and let me know!

Iā€™m seeing multiple speculations of backwards admittanceā€¦ does anyone have a guess of when the next wave of review admits should hit?