TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

So how would this process look? I’m clinging with all hope that I can get full admit

I know some of you like exact times. Last Friday, the email came at 9:34 AM and a text reminder to check his AIS came at 9:54 AM. AIS said he had “3 offers for consideration.” (I wish they wouldn’t use the word offer, it made me assume he is automatically admitted to whatever he chose in the 3 options). He chose Blinn, now he is currently “being considered for Engineering at Blinn.” I just checked the AIS and Howdy and both pages still give the option to change his major. Also, he still only has 3 tabs in Howdy. From what I read here, he’s “likely” accepted, we are just waiting (again) for the official letter because admin takes time to process him to dual enrollment offer/option he chose.

@ccjjmm. If you don’t feel comfortable calling on your kid’s behave, you and your kid can write an email to admissions. From my past experiences of emailing (admissions and scholarships), I get their replies back no later than the next day.

I would really look at PSA/PTA/straight transfer and OTHER UNIVERSITIES. Spend time looking up your major at other schools, look at the degree plans.

(I double majored and minored with 160+ hours - not one hour not going to my degree plan, so the logic and order of degree plans appeals to me. I printed out hard copies of the degree plans for TAMU, UTD, SCAD and LSU for my oldest daughter to compare and contrast. Interestingly, my junior, who is in AP Calculus AB and was not planing on taking math her senior year, announced that she was going to take AP Statistics. She, without my suggestion, had looked up her intended major degree plans at her top three schools. All required statistic - so she wants to get that out of the way in HS )

Like @cookmom said there are other schools that are really good here in Texas. Some with slightly less structured degree plans that afford you a tad more flexibility in degree plan sequencing than some of the degrees at TAMU

You have done great and have an associate’s degree. TAMU may or may not be the best plan for you.

I know you are worried about your parents reaction - but how you “sell” things could make a difference. If you are passionate about the PSA route and can show how it would work - or super excited about the prospect of another university, I bet they will share your enthusiasm.

@jnlaggie98 …I’m PRAYING you’re correct. It’s been crazy app process. I would be shocked if your daughter doesn’t gain stronger offer than PSA. Our daughter has worked hard her entire K-12 education to become a Freshman-Admit Aggie. KNOWS what career she will drive to based on 4 TAMU Academic Camps (was awarded for her leadership & stregnths in one)…on & on. I understand “stats”. Hope they’re looking at “well rounded” students in Holistic Review…that’s what they said. And, Aggies are to be “true to each other, as Aggies should be”…corny, yes, but, most of us Aggies live by those words.

@cookmom
I’m gonna be dead honest I toured TTU and fell in love! Although, when I went to help my brother move back into his dorm this spring at Texas A&M I was a little surprised how little I felt as if I were a meaningless ant in a sandbox, it just didn’t give off a welcoming vibe to me on a personal level like TTU

My stats are extremely similar to your son, but I do have dyslexia and adhd which did affected my reading score a lot… I took APs, multiple dual credits, I put my heart and soul into my essay ( I rewrote it and worked on it for weeks). My essay talked about how I used dyslexia to cultivate my interest in art by being creative and etc…

If Texas A&M is going to throw us out like trash than I say TTU is the better school in terms of understanding and actually caring about their students. My brother who is a freshmen at A&M said that his teachers can’t even keep up with who he is… that’s pretty sad. He even went to say that “A&M really doesn’t care about you being there, I’m just here for the networking and ring.” That response accelerated my worsening thoughts of A&M… I feel like A&M isn’t the school it seems to be in that it uses such a big applicant pool of auto academic admits and 10% that leaves little room for anyone else which isn’t that hollistic? A&M is just another school at the end of day.

• If y’all are looking for a roommate at TTU that will be a nice person and not get in the way of success I could help :) Snap: patrick24782 Ill be a freshmen in fall 2020

I’m actually not registered for housing, yet at TTU… I’m majoring in marketing (accepted very fast since auto).

Still waiting for actual response beside major change option gone

I wish I could agree with you on this - but it just not not coincide with the way HOWDY has functioned in the past. Mays and Visualization were filled in November last year.

Students with those majors did not see their “Change Major” buttons disappear until PSA was imminent.

That’s not true. I have a friend who got into mays business school last Friday fully admitted!

@patrick24 - was he/she the one who got in with honors? Do you know what changes took place in their AIS and Howdy portal?

Anyone receive scholarships yet? I’m not holding my breath, but I thought I had read earlier that they would be sending out notices in Feb?

I’ve called admissions multiple times and they told me MAYS has been full since October.

no he was not honors I think his act was a 28 and he was in top 12 percent

Just to be sure, this is different from the Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan

This is located in Brenham:
https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/academies/blinn-brenham/index.html

I got the 3 options for engineering last Friday and rejected all of them. I checked my portal today and I still have the change major opinion.

Wow, that is really surprising. And they were admitted to Mays and not their second choice major? Do you know their stats? The rare Mays review admits we have seen have always been in early October, a week or two before Mays reaches capacity. It’s like they get to the point that they are almost filled with auto/academic admits - a pause to look at a few extremely highly performing review candidates before Mays is at capacity.

It’s hard to believe - just because of the 10-percent rule TAMU is bound by. TAMU has have to have clearly defined admissions procedures. And they have to follow those procedures. Unlike engineering, Mays is first come first served. So if they have declined one auto admit/top 10 percent student. (which we know they started admitting academic admits to their second choice major in November), I believe they could get into serious trouble.

If any top 10 percent student applied to Mays and got their second choice major prior to last week then that would be problematic.

@Stonek Have you received any admissions feedback from your Plan B / C schools yet? This will help you compare/contrast other great opportunities.

My daughter is Kinesiology and was waitlisted with the first group. Since then nothing has changed. She still has the change major button and “manage application” still has EDKI as major…So many Freshman apps and changes in process could mean anything.

I got accepted to UNT, but I really would prefer A&M if possible

Clinging onto hope that you’re right. My daughter noticed that her change major button has also disappeared. I like your outlook and it seems like you could be right. A&M has done their admissions completely different this year from past years as I have read and seen on this forum. Maybe it is just another little hint like the 6 tabs, could be a long stretch, but it’s hope. We are anxiously waiting a decision now and would just like to know if she has been offered gateway/full admission or if it really is PSA. It’s been extremely hard for my daughter to watch what seems to be everyone around her getting into TAMU or their desired university and she has been waiting for 6+ months for a “soft rejection”. Holding on to hope, I wish the best for your daughter and hope to hear that she does in fact get a full admit offer! :slight_smile:

So as far as the missing “change Major” button. My daughter is Kinesiology major and got waitlisted with the original group a few weeks ago. We selected Team and Full admit waitlist with a guarantee of PSA. We still have the “change major” button and manage application still has EDKI as major. I really wouldn’t read too much into changes other than 6 tabs. With has many Freshmen apps and changes in admission process this year, who knows how it shakes out.