TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Just wanted to share… From our Corps board Moderator… “The big news over the last week are all the offers for Blinn Team, Gateway, and PSA…”

So maybe PSA is definitely coming out this week. My fingers are crossed for so many of you that you get what you want!

@ 2NDGENAGGIE I am rooting so hard for you and your daughter!

@BlueBayouAZ
Yes I was surprised too that he got into mays business. I’m pretty sure it was his first I haven’t verified it. An act score of28 to say is roughly a 1320 as an sat so he was pretty close to auto. He did tell me he sent in a resume and all this extra stuff to increase his chances and it somehow worked which I’m baffled by. He was barely outside the top ten and just got an offer to ACU as a d1 football player which made him not choose A&M in the past few days… he was not admitted to A&M as an athlete I guess he just got insanely lucky?

@Stonek Well done & way to be proactive in this whole college admissions roller coaster adventure. Hang in there :slight_smile:

@mikeinsugarland yes, as I posted it is in Brenham. You can find lots of info and answers on the link I provided. Other than being located in Brenham, the only other significant difference is you take one class from TAMU instead of 2 like the one in Bryan. Oh, and the total cost is about 40% less than full admit.

Have you checked your financial aid portal?

So we are Education and Human Development and second was Public Health we lost our button last night in Howdy and today in AIS. PSA is on the way, I told her last night. We have been planning for the worst so we can make decisions based on what we really want, which is to be an Aggie. I didn’t want her to be surprised and to feel less than because she wasn’t accepted. Unfortunately in this big academic pool it comes down to numbers not the sweet children we have raised who sit in front of us with dreams we want so badly for them. So we are not taking this personally. She had an essay that was out of this world but she still is PSA. She has an apartment at Park West already and is going to do PTA. She is excited about finding a church and doing all things in college station next year and setting down her roots. If successful she will be an auto admit her sophomore year and will be at A&M all the way to get a masters degree. This is not what we wanted but if you really want to be an aggie you can get there other ways.

@H2OTexas THANK YOU!!! And wishing a terrific, 100%-wanted path to Future Former Student for your Aggie too!!!

is that to say engineering academy has no more offers coming out? they were all last week??

@ATTX I will now. Thanks. He received a Maroon Merit scholarship a couple months ago (for OOS students). And he qualifies for academic, but I’m sure those are not given to everyone who qualifies… I was just curious if anyone else had started to receive anything yet. I just read that students would start to hear in Feb, so it’s probably still too early.

Just spoke with Admission for non-engineers. They are looking for a class of 10k freshmen. They are waiting to see how many of those offered will accept and signup for Freshman camps. After that they will pull from the wait list. Then the process repeats until they have 10k accepted and signed up for camps. This process will transpire from mid Feb through April…

@cookmom - We are in the exact same position.

My son was accepted into the business school at TTU and offered a merit scholarhship within weeks of submitting his application in September. He applied to TAMU in mid-September, and last night, his “change major button” disappeared.

We are from Houston, and most of our family members are Aggies. My husband and I graduated from different universities but have always hoped that DS would want to attend TAMU (even if it meant Blinn-Team or PSA). We encouraged DS to spend time with his close friend who is in the PSA program at TAMU-Galveston this year. We let DS spend two football weekends in CS with that friend, and to our surprise and disappointment, DS came home with an unfavorable opinion of TAMU.

When he visited TTU in the fall, he instantly found his fit and wanted to be a Red Raider. He also visited several other schools that offered merit aid, but TTU has remained his top choice.

But all along, I’ve been holding out hope that he might get accepted at TAMU or at least get a Blinn-Team offer and change his mind. I have to say, though, after visiting TTU, I understand why DS loved it and is ready to fully commit. It is a great school and beautiful campus. He’s worked hard and wants to go to a college that wants him. So with the change major thing last night and reading all of these posts, I am ready to accept that TAMU isn’t his future. I’m ready to get excited about TTU and his next four years as a Red Raider.

For those keeping track of stats, I know that DS had a very slim chance of full admission at TAMU. He is 26% of his class at a competitive high school. Weighted GPA: 4.6. ACT: 25. Hundreds of volunteer hours and international mission work. Great resume with work experience and leadership positions. 1st choice major: Economics.

Good luck to everyone who is still in this stressful waiting period, and congratulations to those who are admitted to their dream school!

april?? thats… a long while. tamu is the only school i’m waiting for and i don’t know what to do at this point. no one in my family has gone to college so we don’t know what direction we should go and this is pretty scary to me. i dont want to lose out on housing at other colleges or registration but i just really want to go to tamu.

if anyone has any good resources or know what a good timeline is please let me know. i dont want to miss out on a bunch of things that i dont know about until it’s too late

**i know nothing is certain but either way im pretty sure its going to take a while for waitlisted people to hear back. i’m just looking for resources.

made a phone call to tamu admissions for engineering academy and she told me that engineering academy at blinn bryan were put on a waitlist…

@all Please take everyone’s comments here with a grain of salt - no one here knows with absolute certainty that something just is - no one here IS TAMU admissions office (at least not that I am aware). Additionally, I would imagine that TAMU admissions office probably staffs at least 25, if not more than 50 people - not counting student workers. It seems that we are getting several different types of answers from all of these calls fielded by the admissions office.

We can only guess at the answers (if not already documented on their website)…especially now that this year’s turn of events completely derails what we know historically.

At this point, I think that the most you can gain from this site is support, encouragement, and maybe advice/insights.

Truly rooting for all of you and your kids - this is probably one of the most stressful times for so many across the globe. Hang in there and remember, you’re in the driver’s seat - always. :wink:

It seems PSA program does not allow transition to following majors.
Does Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan program allows students to choose these majors?

Petroleum Engineering
Materials Science and Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Biomedical Engineering
Biological and Agricultural Engineering

Aerospace Engineering

I just called College Station CSR and all they said was “She is being CONSIDERED” for the Engineering Program. CSR person said “CONSIDERED” 6 times. Each time I asked a question on is the same as a Waitlist? Timeframe? When? What will happen next? – I get “She is being CONSIDERED” there is nothing you can do…

CSR said She is not on a wait list and there is no guarantee that she will be in the program and no time frame at all until someone gets to it. She said, all you can do is “WAIT…She is being CONSIDERED.”

I have never hated a word so much as “Considered” from today’s conversation.

So…I guess we will wait, but this is so disheartening. I am more upset about the way they rolled out the Engineering Academies to those on Friday. Wish they would have worded it more or be more transparent as to what is going on. Being CONSIDERED doesn’t mean anything to me especially when they say it is not a wait list and won’t explain what is the process is or the timing.

Good Luck to all. We are still trying to have our hopes up.

@jumbo7 I believe you will find answers here - from what I have read, all engineering majors accepted to TAMU, whether full admit or academies, have to apply for entry to the specific major they are interested in (after completing the coursework required for it).

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/undergraduate/entry-to-a-major/index.html

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/undergraduate/entry-to-a-major/academies-current-class.html

@jaceyk, you are awesome. Great insight and hope for everyone.

For those that are at the point of total frustration, I get you. I’ve been there with my daughter in 2015. But I honestly didn’t think she should get in and well, she didn’t. It’s not that TAMU didn’t want her per se, it’s that she didn’t compete well on paper. If they had met her, I’m sure they would have ushered her in the door like they would any of your kiddos (or you, if you’re the student).

TAMU is HUGE. It’s not for everyone. Most colleges (departments) on campus are not warm and fuzzy. You have to self advocate and stay informed. Ok State was not like this nor is SFA (Daughter getting masters there now and boy they are amazing!!!). So please don’t be disgusted with TAMU for not accepting your kiddo. It’s just not in the cards for them right now. They admit 20k out of over 50+k. So a little over 40% get the offer and only 20% are expected to enroll. This waitlist thing, I feel, is to keep those that were super close to making it on paper, in the hunt just in case the enrollment doesn’t make or they find more space. It’s great, I guess, but still stressful to not know for sure what the outcome is til late Spring.

For those wanting TTU… GO!!! It’s a fantastic school all the way around. My future son-in-law (that hurts to write that, FYI) was an auto admit to tamu engineering in 2013 but they told him they didn’t think he could cut it since from a small rural school. So he pretty much gave them the finger and went to TTU and excelled in Mechanical Engineering. Loved every bit of that school and is finding it hard to marry an Aggie and into an Aggie family after his experience. = )

So please, just stay positive… so much easier and happier to do so! If this is your 2nd or 3rd child, you know it all works out regardless. If this is your first… hang in there. They’ve got this!

@Colhopeful728 I bet they are given scripts to adhere to. Hang in there (and wait LOL). This time will fly by.

@JaceyK Thank you for information.
http://admissions.tamu.edu/psa/ states only few engineering majors.