TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Not sure what the “lowest” amount awarded was, but my son received $1000. His stats: In State, 1410 SAT, 4.10 GPA, Academic Admit for Engineering.
However, he has chosen UT. Not really expecting to get money from them :-/

So last year, I had to do this with my son who is a Musical Theatre major in New Jersey. THAT was stressful… He had to audition for 15+ schools (plus pay application fee, audition fee, etc.) Most auditions didn’t happen until February and most results didn’t come back until late February into mid-March.

The school he ended up at had a bad reputation for not communicating to the students. Worse, you would get a big packet saying that you were accepted (academically) and then you had to read the fine print to find out that you still weren’t accepted artistically. Many kids (but especially parents) came out of the process very disgruntled and saying that the school was bad because of the experience. I can tell you that it is a wonderful school and my son LOVES it.

The application process (or in his case auditioning process) is tough on administrators because they have to turn away so many qualified kids. I’m sure that his school (and probably TAMU) have to emotionally detach themselves from the process just to make it through. It is not personal, it’s business… as they say.

must be where you live in DFW… maybe even by neighborhood. I would say some combination of UT, OU, TAMU (probably in that order) in my neck of the woods. And if you live in North Dallas, then I don’t live too far from you.

TAMU love is definitely what it was in Tyler, where I grew up. My daughter lives in Sunnyvale (close to Mesquite) and it is more of an exurb… definitely much TAMU love there.

Isn’t it wonderful that Texas has so many high-achieving young adults, that our institutions of higher learning have to work hard to find places for all of them!!? In 1987 I got into A&M with a 960 SAT score and placement in the top 1/3 of my class. You kids, with your high scores, leadership experience and volunteer hours, put me to shame and you should be really proud of your accomplishments and options, regardless of whether you got full admit, a Blinn option, PSA, etc., etc…

My own daughter received a PSA offer earlier this week. Yes, her pride took a hit, and she’ll miss out on some of the College Station social opportunities, but…we’ve had so many discussions about the BIG PICTURE. Why are we going to university? What is the goal? With that in mind, she accepted an earlier offer to the Oceans and One Health program at TAMUG. She has always been interested in a medical career, and TAMUG offers a challenging degree plan, and proximity to UTMB. She made this choice with confidence, because her brother, who is currently a senior Construction Science major in College Station, started at TAMUG. His dad and I tell anyone who will listen to us: TAMUG set him up for his current success.

Even though he made great grades in high school, it was TAMUG and the faculty and student mentors there that strengthened his advanced math foundations, and where he learned to study like a college student. He participated in Move-In Crew, Traditions Council, G-Flo and all sorts of fun activities like two-stepping lessons. He went to the beach. He had a sports pass, and pulled his game day tickets with every other Aggie. He made life long friends. Because my daughter was able to observe that process, she is looking forward to the same (and even better) experience. We visited the TAMUG campus recently and were really impressed with CEO Col. Fossum’s vision and enthusiasm, the impressive faculty, and the new facilities. My husband and I are both Aggie grads, and we just wanted to give a big Aggie thumbs up to TAMUG for anyone who might be considering that option, or any of the other options that have been developed to provide a pathway to success.

I’m part of a weekly Aggie Business Network that meets on Thursday mornings in McKinney. If her job/career will allow, PM me for details! Would love to meet her!

MPE for engineering students will be done on the 2nd day of NSC. Highly recommend students practicing for this and NOT take this lightly and blow this off. You need to get a 22 or above (out of 33 questions) in order to place into Calculus I (MATH 151). Or else you will be put into MATH 150 and potentially delay your entry to a major (ETAM) process in Spring 2020.

@Colhopeful728 You can take up to 5 practice online exams to prepare. In addition, you can take a look at the Math department practice exam as well.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/undergraduate/math-placement-exam/preparation.html

https://www.math.tamu.edu/placement/151/MPE1-practice.pdf

https://www.math.tamu.edu/placement/151/MPE1-practice-solutions.pdf

Note: for the online exams, there are 2 modes you can take: un-timed and timed modes

"The first option (or Practice for Practice MPE) is not a timed exam (i.e., no time limit) but provides an option to check your answer for each problem. In the case your answer is not correct, you can also see a detailed solution by clicking the “Show Solution” button. You can retake the Practice for Practice MPE any time by clicking “Practice for the Test” on the right column.

If you are ready, you can take the second option (Practice MPE). The second option is a 90-minute timed Practice MPE. You can start Practice MPE by clicking “Yes, Start the Test now” in the popup after you finish Practice for Sample MPE. After you finish it, you can click “Finish Test” to see your score with a brief test report."

@maddiegurley yes I believe so

That is not the way we understood the options we were given. It said “Your achievements qualify you for CONSIDERATION for the options below”. Then it listed Waitlist only, TEAM, or Waitlist and TEAM. Either way, it’s still a waitlist.

You bring up something that is important to keep in mind. The admissions process is not necessarily reflective of the experience as a student.

I’m in Denton County (Lewisville ISD) and here, UT is top dog…followed by OU/OSU, Tech, TAMU & U Ark. UTD has gained popularity for the high star kids rejected or cap’d by UT just for the crazy AES they were giving out in the past few years. TAMU has been gaining favor over UT though now, for the top 10%’ers, I’m seeing more of our circle think seriously about it…this year alone I know of 4 high star kids rejected from UT decide to accept their TAMU admissions.

Depending on major and/or pathway one takes after first four years, some schools may not be as good as their name sounds and vice versa. For instance, utd’s The Naveen Jindal School of Management is actually ranked above tamu’s mays. Uh has many post grad studies that other tx schools lack. For engineering, some will argue for variety of reasons, but if cost is not an issue, ut and tamu are much better choices as ranked by us news. College is more than just earning the degree and a nice comfortable dorm to stay in. The students around you, the professors, the curriculum, levels of difficulty and the networking should be the key factors when making a decision. And of course, it has to financially make sense for the individual/family.

Is anyone else having difficulty getting into the Howdy portal? I can directly access AIS but Howdy, after entering my login info enters an infinite loading loop until the browser notifies that the server stopped responding.

a

I cannot get in either.

Oh wow…now we are having trouble too.

Yep. Can’t sign in.

Try now. I logged in just fine

That’s great to know … possibly more scholarships. Thanks for the info.

Anyone think there will be any engineering academy acceptances tomorrow when the AIS updates? Looks like a strong possibility with Aggieland approaching fast on the 8th. Seems to be only a handful of students being admitted to the academy the following day. Mind that A&M has increased the engineering academy to 150 extra students for the 2020 fall semester. Hopefully we’ll get a definitive answer tomorrow.

How interesting! In our district (also in DFW area), A&M is the most desired college which really surprised me because I thought it’d be UT. I think my kids are the only ones applied UT in their HS.