TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieMOStudent24 @maddiegurley easa@tamu.edu

Honestly @Jaceyk , your student was a strong applicant, and I don’t think that he actually made any mistakes. I think your student’s experience, last year, was a case of “opportunity shift”. ← I just made up a term to describe the effect, LOL!

I don’t think there’s any question that your student and many others were “qualified”. You know how astounded we all were (still are). Admissions priorities, however, are moving targets, meaning that they’re not static from year to year. Your student, with the same credentials, may have been a full admit or TEAM, this year, or the year prior. The unknown is what applicant attributes/characteristics did TAMU admissions prioritize for the 2018-2019 review cycle? And, what bucket did your student fall in last year?

There are certainly some ‘knowns’ for maximizing the probability of admissions. You raise a very important point about learning from the process so the next group can benefit from it. Maybe we should start another thread to get pinned called, “Dear HS Rising Juniors & Seniors”. We’ll never know the exact formula for holistic admissions (moving target), but we certainly have a collective body of knowledge that have some constants, and a whole lot of observed trends.

@nomatter Thank you for that perspective - I do keep forgetting about that “opportunity shift”. I am, and have always been, of the mind that things happen for a reason. If anything, this whole experience made my son stronger and with it, he was able to build his character. Also, in hindsight (20/20 as always), BIMS probably wouldn’t have been the right major for him - he is very much looking forward to biochem/genetics at TAMU. :slight_smile:

Just a quick update for posterity - we got the notice on Howdy at about 2pm today that my son has been offered PSA. I’m happy about this and think it’s a viable possibility.

Our timeline: my son applied early action to engineering in early October, the “change major” button dropped from Howdy on Friday 2/7 and came off of AIS on Saturday/Sunday. As of around noon today (2/12) his Howdy/AIS still said “in review” for engineering at CS with no changes. We got a confusing email about RELLIS yesterday that I mistakenly thought was the final disposition of his application to A&M. Thankfully the cooler headed folks on CC helped me understand that wasn’t the case.

So, now we are off to decide if my son wants to go with Texas Tech or prefers to PSA to A&M - a pretty awesome problem to have for a first generation college student with ADD and two parents with very “colorful” pasts! I am over the moon with excitement and pride about the future with either option.

Best of luck to those still waiting and hopefully this timeline helps someone this year or in the future.

And a very special thank you to those on this board who helped keep me mostly rational and sane through this process by sharing their experiences, insight and support!

@allymarie0815 thanks so much for the email address! I’ll definitely try emailing them to see about my status. So helpful!

I’m frustrated !!! ugh. I hate this “not knowing”

Still in review, no changes for almost 6 months. Both Buttons still on AIS and Howdy. Same 1st Choice Major (Business) and 2nd Choice Major (Agri Business) and only 3 tabs on Howdy.

My daughter has the opportunity to play a sport in Junior College , but the one thing holding her back from committing to play is the chance of getting admitted to TAMU via Full Admit, Blinn TEAM or Gateway. If one of those 3 options were presented to her, she wouldn’t think twice about other options. Getting admitted and graduating from TAMU is the ultimate prize. Like most on here !

At this point, i just want her to have the option of moving forward to TAMU or moving another direction altogether, and that direction would be to play at a JC for 2 years while working towards getting to TAMU and finishing up there.

No replies necessary
just wanted to vent a bit.

Hola everyone! First post here
I wanted to say THANK YOU for all the post here
this has saved my sanity all these weeks waiting for SOMETHING from TAMU

So this morning he finally got his 6 Tabs (which I would not have had a clue about without y’all ) and at 3:00 today he got his CONGRATULATIONS! You been admitted to Engineering at Galveston!!! We are really happy and excited
he was early admit 10/11/19 and 1210 SAT and he was Homeschooled
so he would have never been an automatic admit
we always knew he would be in review

But he got his dream school!!! He applied to 6 schools and he got admitted to all of them, and by the Grace Of God, after much worry and frustration he got an answer and he got in to TAMU

I’ll keep praying for everyone still waiting!!! God bless y’all!

@Colhopeful728 Not odd at all. Take a look at the UT Austin Freshman Profile:

https://admissions.utexas.edu/explore/freshman-profile

Currently, there’s more than 3200 high schools in Texas, About 2800 are public schools and about 400 private. 1060 Texas high schools were represented in last year’s freshman class. Over 1700 high schools all together. I saw the estimated number, somewhere on the TEA site, but forgot where I found it, but the est. # of high school seniors for 2020 is
 staggering! Texas has way more than a few very large schools (truth in the saying that ‘everything is bigger in Texas’). So, with a 19.5% admit rate, for in-state, outside of the auto admit thresholds, it’s not a surprise that few students for your child’s school were admitted. Very few, if any, would be admitted (outside of AA) from any school with an admission rate that low, and a state this big.

Congratulations @queengonzo !

@queengonzo Congratulations to your boy! Was he one of the students offered Galveston last Friday (1/31)?

Does anybody know anything about accepting scholarships? My kid was offered a Regents’ scholarship at TAMU. He recently received a financial aid offer from Texas State. Texas State said you have 3 weeks to decide if you want the scholarships or you lose the opportunity. Does TAMU have a deadline for accepting a scholarship?

i just noticed on txags that someone’s daughter got admitted to team from the waitlist?

https://texags.com/forums/17/topics/3091011

near the bottom. not sure if i read wrong or not lol.

@WTXMama & @nomatter Thank you so much!

and no, he was one of the engineering kids that had not heard anything from TAMU until today
it just kept showing complete and in review since October

@queengonzo Thank you. There are many of us still waiting on one thing or another, and the extra information is helpful.

I’m so happy for your son!

So I looked at the txags link @mantasaur provided, and that’s the way I read it, too, that someone indeed got offered Blinn Team after being on the waitlist. But the person said that their daughter had chosen the waitlist only, and not Blinn Team, and still was accepted to Blinn Team (at least that’s my interpretation- LOL).

@AgMom94 i read that too and was so confused! i was under the impression that selecting an option (waitlist/team/both) would be really strict; ex. if you chose “only team” you wouldnt get any chance to be considered for full admit etc etc

Admissions responded to my email and that they will be releasing most admission decisions about Blinn TEAM (non-engineering) in mid April
 So confused by all the different things I’m seeing/hearing

@maddiegurley is that for people who aren’t on the waitlist, or just for people who are still in review? april is really really late regardless :confused:

@queengonzo congratulations and WHOOP!!!