TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@MomOfTeens77 - I hate to say it, but those top tier colleges “proclaiming that testing is not everything to them” is their way of justifying diversity admits.
So more correctly stated would be: testing isn’t everything “if you fit into a certain demographic”. Otherwise, we’re just looking at your scores.

My Aggie is a Liberal, pro-choice, bisexual atheist with pink hair and piercings. She’s not worried about finding like-minded people. Gig ‘em!

Just curious, if for some reason you don’t get accepted to A&M engineering, which other school will you consider next? thanks!

Class Rank: top 15%
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1410 (730 English 680 Math)>>>

I wouldn't bank on it. My slightly higher stats kid got a tiny amount. 

@YankeeTexan33, a lot of times people aren’t good at taking standardized tests because they haven’t been taught test-taking strategy (i.e. overthinking every question). Most of the prep courses are not designed to teach the kids the subject matter (though they do this) but to teach them how to beat the test. Fair? Maybe not, but that’s the environment we live in.

Also, I understand that it seems unfair to take standardized tests into account, but with so many applicants with so few spots, I don’t know what else you can do.

In addition to Texas A&M (his first choice), my son’s applied to UT Austin (which he’s not really interested in), UCSD, Arizona State, U of Arizona, and Texas Tech. He’s talked about and considered applying to some of the east coast schools, but I don’t think he want’s to be in the part of the country.

thank you! did you guys consider UT Dallas? Or could anybody give me some opinion of UTDallas vs TexasTech? I mean, UTDallas is better ranked than TT, so we are considering those two.

@DadWithQuestions MY son got accepted to UT Dallas, Computer science major.
He did not apply to TT because of the ranking of the major and long distance( 7 hours driving).

I talked to my son about UT Dallas, but he didn’t seem interested.

To be honest, if he doesn’t get accepted to A&M Engineering (he’s an auto admit to the school), I have a feeling he’ll want to stay home and go to UTEP (we live in El Paso) or NMSU (about 30 miles away).

He plans to continue his education beyond a bachelors degree so he’s also thinking long term about the costs.

I got accepted to UT Dallas yesterday, actually. It’s a great school! My only worry is it’s reputation as a school more for international students. I definitely suggest looking into touring it.

@beanonymous Arizona State, U of Arizona, which one is better?

I guess it depends what you’re looking for and who you ask. US News ranks AS #39 and UofA # 54 for undergraduate engineering.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

@beanonymous Looks like both of them are great schools. Thanks

My daughter got the email today from A&M, she was accepted in College of Engineering. (Few days ago the status in AIS was ‘under review’, I suppose it must be updated to ‘accepted’ by now).

She is yet to apply for scholarship, hope to get some

Question - is the decision for acceptance to honors engineering program later in time (or along with this initial acceptance)?

Her stats :
~17% rank in highly competitive school
35 ACT
IB
Applied ~Oct 1st
Academic Admit

@JayChan1 was it accepted into engineering, engineering review?

I think now it is accepted, the status was engineering review on AIS, few days ago.

The email states

It is our pleasure to inform you of your acceptance to the College of Engineering. You can verify this on the Applicant Information System (AIS), howdy.tamu.edu (Applicant tab).

Boogie, I believe they starting to accept kids with really high ACT or SAT scores. and auto/academic adm. I see pattern of acceptance of 34-35ACT, and around middle 1400 to 1500 on SAT.

JayChan1- congratulations !!!

congrats!!!

that’s great!

Hi everyone! I have just completed phase II of the housing process and was wondering about something: the website says that phase III will open in March 2020, and that I can change any of my information I have input up until February. So, if I change any dorm preference between now and February, is there any chance of losing my potential spot in that residence hall? Thanks.