TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@2NDGENAGGIE just call up to admissions and ask to speak with someone. Not a student. If you can get to someone that’ll talk to you, they may tell you about what the file looks likes. Is your daughter top quarter? If so she really should have taken the act again and again or at tamu (the residual) to bump that to academic admit.

Most holistic won’t hear til January or February. 2 years ago she would have been admitted. Last year she may have gotten psa. It’s very competitive if this cycle follows last year.

I would STRONGLY encourage your daughter to look outside of TAMU too. Like @AggieMomhelp mentioned - for the 2019 cycle - the outcome probably would have been PSA.

But it looks like SEAL is one of the majors offered PSA (though they change every year majors offered - and the new list comes out when the PSA offers do).

Here is a look at the SEAL PSA sheet http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-psa/LA-US-SEL1920.pdf

The thing to weigh with PSA is to make sure your daughter is comfortable meeting all the requirements in the two semesters. For many degrees - it is making the grade in calculus. For SEAL - it is probably the two semesters of foreign language.

Also - about the admissions counselor - if you are near a regional office - you can call there too. I found the Houston area office to be very helpful.

@icedmachiato Thanks …that might be the case since UT Austin already received his scores - so I was concerned if there was something we missed. Will wait for this week.

UGH!!! She’s been calling, I’ll make sure she’s talking with, not a student. She took the ACT again, did worse after (as many of her friends did :frowning: ). Not top Quarter, has a 3.8 GPA, and WANTS to be an Aggie. We should have moved to a smaller school District, but, didn’t want to “play” that game. She is VERY well rounded, and will make a great Aggie & Aggie Attorney! Didn’t know that TAMU offered ACT on CS Campus? What changes with taking on Campus?

I believe they round up. A 29.25 becomes a 30.

Thanks again. The only options she will consider “outside” of TAMU are Blinn Team (if invited), PSA, PTA, Summer “trial” or Blinn CC (with intent to transfer to TAMU). And, Arlington (North TX) Prospective Student Center not helpful/encouraging. We met with them when she was a HS Sophomore…they were not Aggie Former Students, and, really were very unenthusiastic.

Unless I’m seeing things incorrectly - it looks like SEAL is not a PTA major. https://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA

So if she does not get full admit or Blinn Team she would probably have to to Blinn CC with straight transfer or away from college station for PSA.

There are plusses and minuses for both PSA (not in College Station) and regular transfer (less of a clear, guaranteed path).

And, yes, I understand how tough Calculus is…I started out (3 semesters) as PetE at TAMU in 1982…my BS is in: Journalism, specializing in Advertising. Graduated on time! :slight_smile:

I thought it looked like it IS for SEAL? How do you know so much?! She attended the “applying to A&M” SummerYAP camp (her 4th CampYAP), and they didn’t, that I know of, show them the Undergrad Majors that included PSA…are you/were you an Admissions Councelor at TAMU? Great info, and I’m sad I found this forum, maybe too late.

Sorry, confusing PTA with PSA.

Don’t get me started with on HELP and the applying to TAMU YAP camp. I believe - with the exception of getting them to focus on the essay- it was a total waste of $$$ and, because of dated info, raised false hope.

Is it accurate that holistic review candidates won’t hear until February? Anxiously, awaiting for my daughter to hear.

When did she apply: 8/1/19
Class Rank: #1 valedictorian, a non-ranking school
SAT: 1270 (660-Math, 610-R/W)
ACT: n/a
Are you Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of 1st Choice: Mays, 2nd:University Studies - Business Concentration
She has thousands of volunteer hours
Thousands of extra-curricular hours, school and club sports
School and club leadership roles since sophomore year
Owns her own tutoring and pet/child sitting business
Great recommendation letters

Thoughts?

Being valedictorian is huge and she should be proud (and you). Hopefully they see that even though it’s non ranking and she’s not lumped in with just top quarter. Like perhaps it’s a behind the scenes kind of check mark! Her SAT is kinds of low for TAMU but not below average. Business is full at the moment so that hope is probably gone. I’m sorry. But she can always apply to change major into Mays after 30 tamu hours.

Her profile looks great. Hopefully they see the whole pic. As for holistic reviews hearing back… there should be a small release this month, then january then february. Best of luck and keep us posted.

@2NDGENAGGIE The residual ACT on campus is also scored within 24 hours and only counts for tamu admissions. It shows them how dedicated a student is. SO if there’s still time, google residual act at tamu and call to make testing date. Pull her out of school if necessary.

NVM last test date is tomorrow and they are full. Sorry to get your hopes up.

since y’all are saying that mays is already full, should i change my first choice major if im still waiting for a decision? would that even help chances?

My HS Counselor has said that all four quartiles of my HS sees kids get invited to Blinn TEAM, as some 1st quartiles don’t have the ACT/SAT scores for Academic Admit.

I am not in the first quartile, but my non-superscored SAT is 1450 and non-superscored ACT is 34. (Bummer about TAMU not superscoring).

I went for Mays with a 2nd choice of College of LA and Econ major. I got everything in by end of July. I’ve heard nothing, and I doubt I’ll get anything other than Blinn TEAM in February.

First off - Your scores are great. If you are in the second quarter and have solid extra circulars and academic rigor, I suspect you will get a college station admit.

Secondly, I just do not believe what your counselor is saying. The federally reported common data set show no students in the 4th quarter being admitted to TAMU recently. Sometimes I think HS counselors do students a disservice by not painting a realistic picture - and not keeping up with the current admission data and trends.

Specifically, TAMU has consistently increased its freshman class size - when UT Austin stopped doing that years ago. Last year TAMU made the decision to do what UT is doing. They are keeping a static freshman class size. So last year we knew that TAMU admission was going to be more selective. And the data I posted earlier today in another thread shows that.

Each year UT has been harder and harder to get into. TAMU has been slightly harder each year. But last year 10% less students were granted admission. It was much harder to get into TAMU in 2019 than it was just one year earlier.

I will say, I think my daughter’s counseling department (Large 6a high school, “highly competitive,” Average SAT for the school 1240) did a great job at presenting other in state and neighboring state options to UT and TAMU. Hell one of my daughter’s friends, perfect ACT score - but ranked 18th percentile - got CAPed at UT. There are just more quality students in Texas than spaces at UT and TAMU. That is why LSU, Bama, Arkansas etc all offer the equivalent of in state tuition to high performing students.

Are you in TAMU Admissions?

thanks for checking