TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

There is some validity to what you are saying but it doesn’t cover all situations. My son for example is still in engineering review. I would not think he is a bubble candidate but it would seem he may very well be since he has not yet been accepted. He seemed to do very well in all the expected areas they are looking.

Applied and admitted to TAMU in September
Top 10% of class, 5A high school
4.0 GPA - Many AP classes, especially math and science
1390 on SAT, includes a 740 on the math

I guess they may not like his essay? Who knows. I am confident he will be accepted, especially once UT starts admitting engineering applicants and many currently accepted to TAMU will back out to accept the other.

If TAMU overall has an over 80% eng admit rate, many of those kids will have sub 700 math scores. I don’t think one can speak for the admission committee even based on some admits in current threads.

For whatever it’s worth,
I emailed back and forth a bit with the Admissions director yesterday. She assured me that they have not released very many decisions as of yet and that there are still plenty of engineering seats left to fill. The ones that have already heard were strikingly exceptional in some way. They will be releasing acceptances each week through the end of December.
She also said that is we don’t get in in the first round it doesn’t mean we don’t get in. They will do a second round of reviews and offering a second round of acceptances into January and February.
UT will not be offering acceptances to any of the holistic review applicants until February 1st. My guess is that those acceptances will greatly affect what happens with TAMU in February too.
I know that my son would prefer UT over TAMU (even though we would prefer TAMU for him) and that if he gets accepted to both he will likely be headed to Austin. That is purely for his own personality and the amount of friends he already has there… he agrees that the two engineering schools are both fantastic programs and he’d be lucky to study at either.

And as mentioned in the previous comments, math and science backgrounds are critical. My son only scored 680 on the math SAT. We are praying that is high enough. He has a strong science background and took AP physics. He has also taken the dual credit Engineering course offer through UT in his high school. He has a definite aptitude for science and math. The stuff he missed on the test was mostly stuff he had not been exposed to until this year. He had a terrible algebra teacher in 8th grade and needed to retake it his freshman year. due to other courses he needed/wanted to take, he wasn’t able to double up on the math. This put him in pre-calc this year instead of calc. So, his ability is there, he just couldn’t score higher because he hadn’t learned it yet.
This is one of those situations that sadly will not be explained to an admissions reviewer.

When did you apply: Applied 8/6/19
Class Rank: HS does not rank (but I would estimate top 10% out of 425) HS is no-joke
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1450 - 760 Math 690 Verbal
ACT (with Sub Scores) 32 Composite - 32’s and 33’s across the board
When did you receive your admission decision: Admitted 9/19/19 Engineering Admit 10/16/19
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic
Major/College of Choice: Engineering
Spent a night with the Corps in September - great experience and looking forward to the Fall.

Hi so I applied on October 1st with an SAT of 1260. I have extracurriculars as well as a memeber of NHS, but I didnt get letters of recommendation and I did have ONE C in geometry what are my chances looking like? I’m also in the top 25% of my class.

hi, i was wondering if anyone could chance me.
applied: october 11 2019
class rank: 19%
act: 26 composite
gpa: 3.6 unweighted (it was originally a 3.8 but i had to transfer schools at the beginning of this year and many of my credits weren’t accepted at my new school)
review admit
major of choice: computer science
extras: well over 100 hours of community service with an organization founded by an a&m alum, member of national spanish honor society, member of computer engineering club, taking AP computer science this year (along with many other AP classes) and a strong letter of recommendation by an a&m alum (same one as aforementioned) that i have known and been a student of for 6 years.

Boogie818- I was thinking about you and wanted to ask if your son got acceptance yet, or he’s still in review. Now I see that not yet. Your son has good scores and strong resume. 680 in math for engineering is not bad. It’s very nice score overall. He never tried ACT? Sorry, I forgot if I asked already, or not. My son was definitely better in ACT for some reason. Sits better with him. I understand what you talking about with your son’s algebra. My son had similar issues. School let him skip 2 grades of math in 7th grade( based on test) and there was significant amount of math he never really learned. Just touched lightly as he went forward. Of course, these kids who did that will be missing something - somewhere. And pre algebra and algebra is the base of everything. My son managed to pass by with A, but still he had to “compress” a lot of learning as he went forward. He should have been in CalBC this year, but due to illness he’s only in CalAB, he just explained it in his essay and resume. He got admitted to engineering right after he submitted his resume, like 2 days after. He submitted his resume in October ( toward the end of October).
I think your son will hear from A&M really soon. I don’t know how they process holistic admission but from what you wrote before, your son is smart cookie and should get in.
Please, let us know when he gets admission, I was really thinking about you and your son for some reason. I know it sounds weird lol.
Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.

Congratulations to all who got accepted and good luck to all who’s waiting.

@Boogie818 Thanks for posting your feedback from admissions. My daughter is still in review for engineering as well - 1400 / 710 Math top 25%. Speculating, I’m thinking not having CalcBC is the primary reason. However, there’s no indication in her record that would indicate weakness in math (all final grades 95+ in HS honors/AP maths), so I figure A&M COE will get around to admitting her eventually.

@L1Ag91 Those are good numbers. I don’t think CalBC is what’s holding. My son does not have that class. Keep your hope up. They should/will accept her.

L1Ag91- my son is in CalAB and he got admitted in October. I don’t believe it’s the primary reason. Your daughter has very good scores. She will be admitted, they just didn’t get to it yet. So far, they admitted just very small percentage of kids. It’s coming.

I applied a month ago, but I realized I made a mistake on my app, so I submitted a revision. I also submitted my resume, but it uploaded twice and under uploaded documents, I can’t delete it anymore . Any advice on what to do? I’m freaking out as I don’t want admissions to see two resumes under my documents.

My son applied first day it opened. OOS, (GA)- 4.7W 3.7UW but a 24 ACT. Business major. He’s been in review for a long time… but this week we started getting emails from the Corps of Cadets. Then today, a nice package came in the mail. Bubble wrapped… So I call him downstairs and he opens it. It’s an awesome 12th man towel and a postcard telling him to apply to the school. LOL . Good play TAMU… You had us there for a minute. well done. :slight_smile:

My daughter got the same thing last week. You would think their computer system would show that those that have already applied - don’t send them the towel. She got several emails as well. We, too, are in Georgia! Peachtree City, south of Atlanta.

Can somebody clarify for me ? My son application is still showing “My app is incomplete” and is waiting for SAT/ACT scores. I noticed however at the top it indicated: Major: Computer Science College: EN Degree: BS Location: College Station.

He is top 7% of his class and SAT scores of 1530 (with 800 for Math). He should be an auto admit to engineering - provided they received his SAT/ACT scores ?

It’s has been almost 2 years since I went through this with my older son so I forgot how it was. Thank you.

@mikeinsugarland I would call and verify that the SAT and ACT Scores were in fact sent and try to get confirmation if possible. If they did not get sent I would expedite them right away. Then call TAMU and let them know they have been sent. You risk not having all information in by Dec 15th and disqualifying. I am not sure if just the Top 10% is enough without the scores regardless of what they are. In any case, do all your homework and ensure that you get that status into a Complete status before Dec 15th. Best of Luck!

Also in howdy, check test scores. It should show them listed. It may also be in AIS. Just search through his portal.

@AggieDreamin I checked his Collegeboard site and it showed he did sent them in (but you guessed it late) on 11/22. So it might be a few more days until A&M received them since the site said it might take 1-2 weeks for the scores to show up. If not, then I will call TAMU before COB Friday to let them know. Thanks for your help …

@AggieMomhelp I checked his Howdy and elsewhere and nothing showed his scores yet. They received everything else though: SRAR, application, essay and official transcript. Hopefully it will update in a few more days

@MikeSugarland They are under “My Test Scores” in AIS. I don’t remember seeing them in howdy. Maybe I don’t know howdy. Anyway it took a week for my son’s case to show up in AIS after college board sent. Tamu seems to take longer than others.

How do you find out your Admissions Counceler? Daughter applied the hour Admissions opened, applied ONLY to TAMU. Several LORs, 29 ACT, 4 TAMU academic Summer camps. We’re very eager to learn if her holistic app will be accepted into SEAL Major (Liberal Arts). Please share how to gain Counceler’s name. Thanks & GIG ‘EM!!