TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@tamuletmein, @AggieDreamin, Hi there, you guys are talking about different Frisco high schools in different colors, and my daughter living with my ex is in Frisco, going to Centennial High School next year. Could you guys enlighten me about the school color codes? Thanks!

@raytx we aren’t suppose to share identifying info so that is their way of saying which school in Frisco they attend. Assuming it’s their school colors lol.

@RayTX no real code. @tamuletmein used a school color to describe their school so I went with it. My daughter’s school colors were green. Looks like in the last week we have 4 of the 11 schools represented here. We were all just commiserating about the school rank issue here ? The issue is not unique to Frisco but definitely is a challenge for kiddos coming out of this district. Just to clarify Frisco doesn’t officially rank but they provide a school profile to TAMU and then TAMU assesses a rank (1Q, 2Q
). Unfortunately, it seems to have a heavy weighting in admit decisions.

I got accepted but didn’t get an email. Will my financial aid/scholarship information be on the application portal? Or will it come by mail?

Hi everyone (:

When did you apply: 12/1 (application considered complete 12/3)
School does not rank
SAT: 1410
ACT: 31
Public Health, but planning on applying to nursing program during sophomore year (if i choose to attend A&M)
Out of State (CA)
Admitted: 12/10

Does anyone know if my quick decision means I am an academic admit? Just wondering (:

Good luck to everyone else waiting! Go Aggies!

@RayTX I guess you could call that the red and blue school ? Anyway , that is where my daughter goes too. I know of someone last year at our school who was like 11% in the class but had 1350 instead of 1360 needed for academic admit and she didn’t get in . She went the Blinn route , doing great and is transferring shortly to A&M in Fall.

Last year seemed so brutal admissions wise, hope this year shapes up better .

@kasper0137 Looks like we are well represented here on CC! I knew someone last year that had the same situation but he was coming out of Houston. In his case, he had a 1360 but missed subscores. Last year was totally brutal. Hopefully this year will be a bit more forgiving. As I mentioned above, my daughter did the Blinn route too and has no regrets. No one in College Station knows who goes to A&M and who goes to Blinn. And with Blinn Team and A&M kids taking classes at Blinn
it is one happy family :slight_smile: So for those of you out there try not to worry
when there is a will there is a way!

Out-of-state HS applicant (Pennsylvania):

When did you apply: August 2019
Class Rank: 23/270
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1270
ACT (with Sub Scores)
When did you receive your admission decision: Dec 1, 2019
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Air Force ROTC Scholarship winner/Corps of Cadets
Major/College of Choice: School of Engineering (Mechanical)

Out-of-state HS applicant (Pennsylvania):

When did you apply: August 2019
Class Rank: 23/270
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1270
ACT (with Sub Scores)
When did you receive your admission decision: Dec 1, 2019
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Air Force ROTC Scholarship winner/Corps of Cadets
Major/College of Choice: School of Engineering (Mechanical)

@girlfromca20 Yes, you were probably ranked top quarter and your scores knocked ya in! Congrats.

Thank you guys for the info about Frisco high schools, and I will dig deeper and prepare for my daughter’s high school life, even she does not live with me. DD20 got super nice SAT and PSAT scores, and I really want my daughter to have the same leverage since no rank at Frisco high schools next year, as I heard.

Good luck for everybody!

@RayTX They became an non-ranking district last year. What happens is that TAMU uses their algorithms and the school’s profile which provides them the cut-offs for 1Q, 2Q, 3Q and 4Q. So they do still assess a class rank that is posted on the AIS portal. That being said, there is only so much you can do to impact it all the kids can do it try to take vigorous schedule (Pre-AP and AP classes) and get the very best grades they can. Then you are at the mercy of the other kids in the class. Also ACT/SAT prep can help to get that score as high as possible. Wishing both your kiddos the best!

@RayTX the thing that is changing next year is that they are eliminating academic admit so only Top 10% will get auto admission. Everyone else will be under the Holistic Review. Suspect this will be good for some people and not so much for those that would have qualified for academic (30ACT/1360SAT + Top 25%). Either way, it gives more people a shot at TAMU so I think it is good :slight_smile:

@AggieDreamin, thank you so much for the great info, Frisco is a great place to live, but the pressure for high schooler is tense, and same for parents. On thing I hope TAMU will keep is the NMF scholarship in the next 5 years and my son is lucky without PSAT practice, but for my daughter, I will definitely let her to get some prep. Thanks again and have a good night!

What are the chances of someone with lower SAT scores getting in? I have said my daughters stats before, but honestly I don’t think it’s right to judge a persons “college readiness” by their test scores, there is so much more to a person than how well the perform on a uniformed test and the rank they have. My daughters sat is low, 1090 - 510 math and 580 reading, but she has over 300+ volunteer hours, has maintained a job since the month she turned 16, has taken about 30+ hours of college credits, is in NHS, 3.97 gpa, great grades, and will graduate with 2 endorsements from her high school.

@kreed23 i feel you. Scores alone don’t define how a student will do in college. My own daughter got a 21 Act. Was given psa. Went somewhere else freshman year. Transferred as sophomore and graduated a semester early from tamu. So for sure it’s not a life sentence and admissions does review holistically. If her ranking, essay, ECs etc are strong enough they could over look that score but realistically, probably not. Just know that freshman year flies by and no matter what route she may choose to get to Aggieland, she will be fine and finish as an Aggie.

Since admissions can’t know and love our students like we do, they have to compare apples to apples. And having a lot of dual credit or AP credit can really hinder these kids. I wish they would educate parents and students on this. It’s a huge impact once they’re in.

@kreed23 I totally agree but unfortunately for TAMU it is mostly about scores and class rank. They say the rest matters but I tend to think it is mostly stats. We see a lot of really accomplished kids here, and your daughter is definitely impressive, but unfortunately most of those kids don’t get direct admission but if she really wants to go to TAMU there are MANY paths and they are all good. I won’t say it wasn’t disappointing for my daughter to not get in initially because it was, and tears were definitely shed, but now she is so happy at Blinn and about to apply for transfer. Hang in there! I know it is hard for us parents too.

@AggieDreamin We are still waiting on holistic review decision for my daughter. She did get into TAMUG. IF she doesn’t get an acceptance path into Cstat then my girl is considering Blinn too. Trying to weigh Blinn then transferring vs TAMUG then major change request. Also, weighing when should she consider applying to BLINN and moving forward on housing?? I worry about her finding a place and a good roommate situation if she goes Blinn route. She won’t know anyone going to TAMU or Blinn to live with! Housing is a stress. Any tips would be a blessing!
Btw we met a good handful of aggies on campus a few weeks who said they didn’t hear back a decision last year until end of February/March for some holistic decisions so was told to not to lose hope! ??

@AggieMomhelp -
Can you elaborate on the reasons that a lot of dual or AP credits are not a good thing? From what I’m reading in forums, the main drawback I could find is not being able to apply for Change of Major if over 60 credits.

@n2jesus4life What is your daughter’s preferred major and if it is science then does she want to go on to Med School? This will help in any possible guidance I should provide. :slight_smile:

Also, I am assuming based on your user name that your family is Christian. My daughter found a church in Cstat that she loves and joined a Life Group there that has been the biggest blessing. This is where she found her tribe. It is hard to go in without knowing anyone. I would be happy to provide some info on that as well.

For housing
there are apartments that are across from TAMU campus and other places. That is where my daughter lives. They will place you in an apartment/room even if she doesn’t have roommates. You take the same chance as those in the dorms but they can try to get a good fit. My daughter will stay at the same apartments when she transfers over. You should be able to find housing even if you wait until March to get your final answer it just may be a little more limited.