TAMU Galveston

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am curious about the path from A&M Galveston to College Station. I have heard that it is an easy change, but I know they are not listed as part of the PSA program (Program</a> for System Admission (PSA)).</p>

<p>Please explain how that would work.</p>

<p>Galveston isn’t on the PSA because it is a branch campus. In fact, it is the only branch campus in the U.S. (the other is in Qatar). It is, in the most simplistic terms, just another location of TAMU. They have the same admissions criteria, just fewer applicants and a different deadline.</p>

<p>From the general academic programs page: "Undergraduate students at Texas A&M University (TAMU) and Texas A&M University-Galveston (TAMUG) are classified as part of the same student body. This distinction allows TAMU and TAMUG students to transition between these two campuses through the Change of Curriculum process rather than the Transfer Admissions process. The General Academic Programs Department at TAMU serves as point of contact for such requests.</p>

<p>Requirements to change from TAMUG to TAMU, or from TAMU to TAMUG:</p>

<p>Students are eligible to change from one campus to the other after completing a minimum of 27 graded credit hours* with a GPA of at least 2.5 earned at the campus of original admission. For example, a student admitted to TAMUG must complete at least 27 credit hours at TAMUG before becoming eligible to change campuses to TAMU regardless of the total number of credit hours earned at other institutions.</p>

<p>Students must also meet the entry criteria of the requested academic department. Many departments have GPA requirements above 2.5 and/or course completion requirements as conditions of entry. Some departments may require more than 27 TAMU or TAMUG credit hours. Additionally, entry is contingent upon space availability within a department or college. Final decisions are granted by the academic dean of the college that administers the curriculum."</p>

<p>The PSA isn’t offered for every area of study. It used to just be Agricultural & Life Sciences, Geosciences, and Science, but it looks like they added Liberal Arts (on the PSA website). Make sure your field of study is included and make sure the system campus you are going to offers courses that are on the degree plan for your intended major.</p>

<p>Read the ‘Other Pathways to A&M’ page and also look at the TAP program. This is a guaranteed transfer from certain community colleges, for meeting the hour and GPA requirements. Many people are confused that Blinn TEAM is the only Blinn to TAMU path, but that isn’t true.</p>

<p>I spoke with a friend yesterday that has had two children get into A&M by taking 15 hours of summer community college and one semester at Blinn, getting in on a plain transfer at that point. It is heavily dependent on which college you are trying to get into. Some colleges aren’t listed on the TAP because they have enough space to take all qualified applicants. You will want to talk with admissions counselors from the college of your intended major to help guide you on any of these paths.</p>

<p>Outside of the PSA or TAP, once you take a single credit hour of college after high school graduation, you are a transfer student, and your admission is handled by the college you want to enter, not the university. This is where the Transfer Course Equivalency and specific degree track info becomes important. The colleges consider transfers based on GPA and number of hours completed toward their major.</p>

<p>The one piece of information I can’t seem to find, is how your GPA transfers with PSA and TAP. That would be a key thing to find out from an admissions counselor. Blinn TEAM students have TAMU GPAs, just as if they were a full time student, but I don’t know if that privilege is extended to any of the other programs.</p>

<p>I didn’t know that Blinn TEAM students have TAMU gpas. S1 has taken several minimesters and summer courses at local CC’s and they won’t calculate into his TAMU gpa. He’s planning on taking Bio this summer at Blinn while taking another course at TAMU. It would be great if that bio could count into his TAMU gpa!</p>

<p>google blinn team. you may find some answers there about what you are asking.</p>

<p>To be clear, Blinn TEAM students have a Blinn GPA for the classes they take at Blinn and a TAMU GPA for the classes taken at A&M.</p>

<p>Ok… that is what I thought previously, I just misunderstood your post. Too good to be true. Thanks for the clarification.</p>