TAMU Merit based Scholarships for Out of State Freshman

My Son also received the email this afternoon. I would not read too much into the email. I am sure we could all speculate this one to death… Maybe everyone received this as a reminder of what is in the portal, and that we should accept or decline soon? Hopeful thinking I know…
Another question… Are any OOS people from other majors still waiting? This seems to be only Engineering students?!

@rvhappynow I’m only guessing at what it means. I haven’t called anyone, so don’t have any information about how the communication process is supposed to work. I was just assuming that if they sent out that email telling kids to check their portal for financial aid, that if you got anything, it would be there and if you didn’t get anything, nothing new would be there. Seems like a reasonable assumption, but if your information about the email only going to folks who have a CHANGE in their status is true, maybe it is delayed?

Yes, like @CoMamaof2boys said, we are speculating this thing to death. :smiley: I say we wait and see what happens when we wake up. But, it seems to me that the delay is at least a viable option.

@rvhappynow Anything show up in your portal yet? Fwiw my son did not get an email so it didn’t go out to all engineering freshmen. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get the small amount you still need.

@rosegeo It’s still the same this morning. Maybe things are just changing little by little as they prepare to add things to the portal? One thing I’ve learned since January is how to adapt to the constant changes. Lol! Thank you again for your support and info about the emails!

Nothing new has shown up in our portal yet either. Seems strange that they send you an email telling you to check your portal, but nothing new in the portal. You would think the email would come out after the portal has been updated. I’m still holding out a small amount of hope, although with needing the entire $4k, we know the odds are slim.

@ColoFatherOf3 I agree that it sounds like an odd approach, but trying to figure out the system has worn me out over the last few months. If anyone finds out any new info, I’m sure they’ll share! I emailed SFAID yesterday just to ask again what the email notification meant, but they may not answer right away. I’ll update if they respond. If nothing else, we all have to admit that we are getting closer to the end of the waiting period.

I just received confirmation from SFAID that an email does mean a change in the portal, so fingers crossed for everyone! Exact words were:

“If the system has sent you an email it is because of a change. You can keep checking the AWARDS tab for updates and possible Engineering scholarships.”

Best of luck, y’all!

@rvhappynow and @rosegeo FALSE ALARM!

I called SFAID and they had no clue why this email went out. They are also blind to the Engineering Scholarship process.

I was able to communicate with a contact withing the Engineering Department Scholarship office and they said that any email we may have gotten yesterday was not affiliated with Engineering scholarships in any way. The Engineering scholarship committee is working this week to determine awards. The email that some of received yesterday is pure coincidence.

So weird to get so many different answers. Oh well! We’ll just keep waiting!!!

@ColoFatherOf3 I think the emails that was sent off, was for financial aid.

@rvhappynow praying for the remaining $$$ to come your way! I’d love to meet you in College Station!!!

@gogogogobruins Thank you!!! And same here!!! Hoping to have some news soon!!

Any news?

Not yet. Those emails confused us for sure. But, since they said we’d be notified by end of next week, I’m just checking the portal a few times a day and waiting for any news, hopefully positive! Thank you for asking! @rosegeo

So to be clear about the 4K -if another school give you scholarships (in trying to woo you to their school) -totaling 4K and you show it to TAMU, they will give u instate tuition ? I’m OOS Obviously. Seems to good to be true. I must have it wrong ?!

@Jonsmom14 – No. TAMU itself has to award you $4K in merit scholarships. Once you hit the $4K threshold, you are awarded in-state tuition.

Merit is very tough to come by at A&M. I know I messaged you my daughter’s stats in reference to a post on another board. She got zero in merit at A&M. We are in-state.

@Jonsmom14 Hi there! Actually, that is not correct. What I believe you are referring to is the counter offer that some people were talking about. If you have a scholarship offer from another school and you contact the Scholarship and Financial Aid Dept, they will sometimes offer additional funds in the form of a scholarship. This is not considered competitive, which means it does not count toward the waiver. This is also done on a first come, first served basis. Once they have depleted the funds for this type of award, they do not give any more out. Many people seem to have received something like this in the form of the Aggieland Bound scholarship. In order for any funds to be considered toward the $4000 for the nonresident waiver, the scholarship must be considered competitive.

I apologize. I did not see that this was answered last night. My phone did not refresh the page. :slight_smile:

Oh thank you for info but I wonder is it easier to get $$ for oos vs instate ?? Shucks we’re are planning a trip there in Sept :frowning: