TAMU Scholarships

<p>My son is a prospective 2014 TAMU student. We have submitted his application on Apply Texas including the Scholarship section. Can anyone give us some information on scholarships at A&M beyond the standard info available via the college. When do you hear about the scholarships included in the Apply Texas process? Besides the info we provided on Apply Texas do we need to be doing something else or do they contact us? Our son is top 1% with a 2030 SAT (first take). He has maintained a 4.0 GPA and only missed the National Merit by a few points. What are his chances of receiving scholarship funds? Any help from folks who have been through this process is appreciated.</p>

<p>I would like to know too. CC student here and got a 4.0 gpa. Never took the SAT/ACT though.</p>

<p>TAMU is pretty good about waiving OOS tuition for top candidates. See link below for more info. They have the standard other scholarships but expect the competition to be fierce and for instate students to get a preference. GL</p>

<p><a href=“https://scholarships.tamu.edu/SCH_Opportunities/tamu_scholarships/freshman.aspx[/url]”>https://scholarships.tamu.edu/SCH_Opportunities/tamu_scholarships/freshman.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The process is: apply to university, acceptance into university, contacted to apply for honors, results from honors, scholarship offers. Timeline for us was: application Sept, acceptance 5 weeks later (OOS academic admit), notified to apply for honors, Jan. accepted to honors, Feb first scholarship offer (last one in June). They wait until deadline for application has passed for notification of honors (may be earlier since deadline has moved up), then second round of scholarship offers after decision deadline (May 1). The school contacted us both in writing and by phone. His were all merit based, not sure how need based works. Also many of the scholarships are holistic, not just stats based. The same is true of admission into the honors programs.</p>

<p>Thanks AGmomx2!! This is the most information we’ve seen yet. My S is applying to two major universities to see which one might offer the best scholarships. I’m concerned we may have to accept admission before this process moves forward. We’ve heard that agreeing to attend two universities can be frowned upon. Any recommendation here.</p>

<p>You don’t have to commit until May 1st for all schools I believe. You will know by then what your financial package will basically be from both schools - his last scholarship was more like a bonus since they had overlooked him by accident- it isn’t a norm. I think most students know well before April, no matter where they apply. Several schools include their offer with an acceptance letter so you’ll know in Feb/Mar. You should have plenty of time to choose. I will say neither of mine picked this school based on the scholarship offer, they just loved the school, the post graduation advantages & the programs it offers.</p>

<p>Thanks AGmomx2. My S is applying to the engineering program. If he doesn’t accept quickly would it put his engineering acceptance in jeopardy? We have pushed him to apply early to insure he gets a spot.</p>

<p>whciv01, no - he doesn’t have to accept quickly. He will be accepted into TAMU, and then into General Engineering, one right after the other. It was good he applied early, but he doesn’t have to accept early.</p>

<p>My D got her first scholarship offer in October, but she got the guaranteed National Merit awards. The offer was revised many times with more money added each time. She has about 7 different scholarships now. The largest one is by the Brown Foundation in conjunction with A&M. That one is a biggie. Honors is great. They take care of those kids and have quite a bit of support to help them succeed. Good luck</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the information. This is our first and only kid and its been awhile since we went to university. Sounds like we can wait to accept the offer to attend TAMU and the engineering program. We were concerned that he might lose his spot if he didn’t accept quickly. Our S just missed the NM but we are hopeful he may still qualify for merit scholarships based on his GPA, SAT scores and overall commitment to his education.</p>

<p>whciv01 - Did your son already get accepted to TAMU? I am still on step 3.</p>

<p>Not yet, but he is an auto-admit. We too are on step 3. We are just getting ready.</p>

<p>Since you stated you were new to this… now is the time also apply for outside scholarships. They can normally be used at any school and do not affect your offer from the university - you are not required to report them until the summer prior to attending even if you get them earlier, at least for non-need based ones. Mine have been awarded a few over the years, but it is tedious.</p>

<p>Where are the best places to find those outside scholarships? I’ve read that scholarship sites are full of scammers. We are applying for a few local scholarships but they are very, very small ones. Any input on where you found the best ones?</p>

<p>Ask the college placement office at HS & search the websites of actual colleges you are applying to (this one lists them online as did many others we looked at). Some employers & associations have them too - check their websites directly. Good luck!</p>