Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

She applied Public Health and wants to go into nursing school at some point, so Galveston doesn’t really make sense for her, same with Blinn Team. She’s definitely not mathy like my son. She definitely is losing hope after 5 months of being ignored. I can’t blame her for that. :woman_shrugging:t3:

What are her stats?

@LSchTX i suggest going to a school where she’s direct admit to Nursing School. A&M Nursing is incredibly difficult to get in-good rank & it’s a small program. If one of my kids wanted to pursue Nursing, I’d wouldn’t allow them to go to A&M. The % is crazy high-students who never get in; they either transfer to another nursing program, or graduate with a Public/Allied Heath degree, THEN have to spend another 1.5 years doing an accelerated RN program somewhere else.

3 Likes

Yes, original plan was to get BS in Public Health at TAMU and then do second degree nursing accelerated program. We have sat in both the PH and Nursing school presentations. Went to Aggieland Saturday last February. TAMU Nursing only takes 64 per semester, so ridiculously hard, because not enough hospitals to place them at in CStat. Since TAMU isn’t interested in her, thinking she will go somewhere else and start applying nursing school after 2 years. TCU is only in state direct admit nursing program (that I know of), but they are too pricey and socially very Greek, which isn’t her vibe at all. No interest in going out of state, plus we have 4 years tuition and fees already paid for through Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan, so need in state public school.

She is around top 20% at a competitive 6A suburban high school.
10 APs (3 10th, 3 11th, 4 12th)
SAT not great - mid 1200s, but meets 600 min in each area
4 year varsity swimmer, volunteer summer swim coach 3 years, certified lifeguard and swim lesson instructor (had 3 jobs last summer) & varsity water polo this year where she won regional award.
National Charity League, so hundreds of volunteer hours during HS.
UMHB college nursing camp last summer.
Plans to get CNA certification this summer and coaching/teaching swim.

2 Likes

@LSchTX it isn’t public, but UMHB Nursing is outstanding! UT Tyler and Tech Nursing programs are great, too-public. Not sure how it’s ranked, but we have a high school friend graduating in May from SFA Nursing.
We know kids who applied 3x to A&M Nursing…they all had CNA, Pharm Tech, EMT certified, etc + very high/near perfect HESI scores…never got in.

1 Like

Yes, I know it’s crazy hard. She wants to be an Aggie, so getting a BS in PH would give her the time in CStat to do that. She would then apply to many nursing schools and go to wherever she got in. We live in Sugar Land, right by UHSL who has a second degree nursing program. SHSU is her second choice for now. Their nursing school is in The Woodlands and goes all around Houston. She spent a week at UMHB this summer. She will apply to nursing school there, but didn’t like it enough to apply and start there as a freshman.

2 Likes

I get your frustration, but if I can play devils advocate for a second… most holistic students get accepted in January and February. Some even get accepted in March. This is exactly what Tamu states time and time again via website and if you call them. They are not ignoring anyone. They are reviewing 50000 applications twice. They do a really good job, imo, to ensure that those they accept have a good chance to succeed.

Hang in there. Check out other schools. Review the different pathways (sounds like you have). Breathe. The wait is long but sometimes necessary.

5 Likes

I understand your frustration, we were in that position last year. Large Katy HS, daughter was top 20%, 4.2 GPA and a 1290 SAT. She was offered Blinn Team Feb 1 and has loved the small classes. She had a 4.0 this past semester and hopes to finish Blinn Team after 1 year. Consider this pathway if offered it is a great experience.

9 Likes

It is so hard to wait. This is my 3rd child to apply & it doesn’t get any easier. My oldest graduated from A&M nursing school in August and it was wonderful. Kids get in! They just need to work hard. Just to offer some encouragement! Also, Blinn Team seems like such a good choice too. My son will definitely accept that if he is offered!

5 Likes

It’s really hit or miss. My oldest son who just graduated from A&M last month was accepted to Blinn Team after waiting almost 6 weeks. He had wanted to take the ACT one last time so he didn’t apply until the end of December (the deadline had been extended that year because of hurricane Harvey). He was accepted the second week of February. He wanted Mays but wound up graduating with a degree in Ag Economics. Non ranking HS and he was 2nd quarter per A&M.

My present HS senior son applied 11/22/22 as a Biochem major. Got his acceptance 12/1/22. Same non ranking HS but A&M had him 1st quarter. He has a 4.0 and had a 34 ACT. It was a shock he was accepted so quickly but I’m sure a lot of things played into that.

Older son had about a 3.4 gpa and a 31 ACT.

1 Like

He is accepted :sob:

15 Likes

You are right. We are in that boat. I reached out to A&M and the school told me they have 64 spots in the Nursing program each year and on average between 200 and 250 qualified applicants seeking those spots. 65% to 70% of applicants get rejected and many of those are highly qualified.

1 Like

Congrats to your son!

yay! Not surprised he got in but know it’s such a relief! Congrats to you all!

3 Likes

Congratulations to a fellow homeschooler!!!

2 Likes

@Res_Judicata yep, A&M Nursing program is a crapshoot. 3.9-4.0 gpa, near perfect HESI, pharm tech/CNA/EMT etc certified + lots of work & volunteer experience in the medical field…and still a high chance you’ll never get accepted.

I can’'t find your prior post. Can you provide more details?

Ag Systems Management

Homeschool

Residual ACT 27 (started college in 9th grade so the Alg 1 and Geom info was hard to recall after 4 college maths courses and 3-4 years - couldn’t test the year he finished those classes)

3.96 Unw GPA (that is taking the college classes graded as college level. Three local public schools add 10 points and call it unweighted as many other I hear across Texas do also :woman_shrugging:t3:)

Will have Associates of Arts in May from local community college (60 hours)

1st qtr

Essay reviewed by experienced A&M essay reviewer and work with him on it, so I feel
it was a very good essay.

Applied Aug 1st (it has been a long 163 days)

EC’s to the extreme - multi State Level and National Reps in Ag Organizations. State and National speaker winner, robotics champion in every ag robotics event across TX (all major livestock shows), Freedom Rank candidate in scouts, 2x Presidential Volunteer Service Award plus more stuff

Submitted every optional essay (uploaded in AIS), resume, LoR, certificates, and college transcripts to confirm homeschool transcript.

Did have a comment from AO on grades that “I chose to give him”, but I explained he attends a unaccredited co-op where college professors and certified teachers teach and grade and I inputted in his transcript what they gave them in the classes. (Many prof and teachers homeschool their kids too). She was surprised.

It is a frustrating journey without a clear formula on timing, qualifications, etc. I guess that is the art of admissions instead of the science (formula side). Our questions lean toward to science side A+B=admit. I think it needs to change or be clarified more to balance expectations. (I.e. certain majors holistic entries won’t hear till after new year like his is - but that throws off the housing line-up based on majors so kids may pick early entry majors to get housing then switch after entry). Again I don’t know the solution. This is my second and last kid to enter college. He received acceptance to all he applied to in Sept/early Oct. and this was the last one. Older one went to private Christian college on scholarship that had his major.

2 Likes

She got her 7 tabs!!

Holistic Engineering
3.89 unweighted
10 AP
SAT (did not submit)
Many extracurriculars and involved in clubs holding office
Works part time
300+ volunteer hours
1st quartile

15 Likes

One last thing. Both for TAMU Galveston and College Station the “7 tabs” appeared around 4 in the afternoon for him. I thought it was only mornings- but he checks all day and they were not at 2pm and were at~4pm on his days (in Oct and Jan acceptances)

5 Likes