Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

My daughter applied in October: her first choice major is environmental design and second choice is visualization and still under review. It appears that both majors are impacted majors per the previous post. She is under holistic review (SAT 1360, assigned to top 25% by AIS, UW GPA 3.74 class rank 16% in her school). She got the alternative pathway email few days back. Anxiously waiting to hear from A&M and worried that both majors might be already filled up. not sure how pathways will work for environmental design major. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Second review is in progress so it is better not to change right now. If major is full and AO accept student they will assign a major.

2 Likes

That was my thoughts too. Just wait and see. I don’t believe these are full, however. How do you go about changing major once admission is granted? Do you have to start school as is? Or can you adjust major before NSC somehow?

Thank you for your response.

Click through the alternative pathway email as TAMU tracks that. There is still chance of admission as second review is underway, but if offered Gateway take it. If offered Blinn Team and your student’s goal is TAMU, choose “Blinn Only” and don’t select anything with “waitlist”. Environmental Design transition from Blinn to TAMU via COM or transfer is very doable.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/getattachment/22071187-5c0b-49f7-be35-c52dee2c3eb1/2022-2023-Environmental-Design-TCS.pdf

6 Likes

If the major your student wants is not very competitive, changing before NSC is possible. Contact admission office first via AIS.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing helpful information. I really appreciate it!

@FriscoDad Thanks for sharing information and you are one of the reason, I could get to speed as many others.

I called Admission Office this afternoon, they said Public Health major for full (as on mid December). I got standard response to admission decision and hence nothing to contribute.

Uh oh, PH being full is terrible news for my daughter as both of her majors (community health & allied health) were in the school of PH. :smiling_face_with_tear: Not sure what other major makes sense (definitely not Bio or Chem!!) for someone who wants to go into nursing. :confused:

1 Like

Click through those links in the alternative pathway email. If offered Blinn Team choose “Blinn Team Only”. That save over $6K tuition. Blinn Team contract barrier is low (see link below for this TAP cycle). Take Math at Blinn Rellis, just need to be careful on CHEM119 at TAMU as students compete against top engineering students who also take this class for ETAM.

https://tap.tamu.edu/TransitionAcademicPrograms/media/Gallery/2022-HLTH-Pathway-(TEAM).pdf

1 Like

Would you recommend PSA at another campus? That’s the one we are worried about. My daughter wants to be IN College Station. Would you choose that route over just going straight Blinn and hoping to transfer over in a year? Thank you!

1 Like

Depends on the major pursuing. Not all majors have PSA options. Review each major course sheet (link below) and see if the GPA requirement is high or not. A lot of PSAs are very doable but not all.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/apply/freshman/program-for-system-admission

2 Likes

So what happens with Blinn Team if you have AP credit a lot of the classes? She has a 3+ in
World History
US History
Psychology
Human Geography
Environmental Science
Currently taking:AP English, AP Chemistry, AP Gov, AP Macroeconomics

Don’t use any of them or they count towards Blinn 36 hours?

AP Credits one will have a choice to claim the credit in Howdy portal once College Board data transferred over. Do not claim any AP right away if one needs good GPA (at Blinn and TAMU) BEFORE fully transferred to TAMU.
One can always claim credit later in Junior or Senior year.

Dual Credits have no choice as they will be automatically transferred and taken out of the degree plan in TAMU, that’s why don’t take too many DCs because that will hurt TAMU GPA if all one can take are tough classes.

4 Likes

So you are saying avoid the AP / DE so you can take easier classes as TAMU to help boost your GPA, otherwise you will inevitably be stuck taking only harder classes which will most likely result in a lower GPA?

Not avoid, take as many AP as possible while at high school to academically prepare for college. Once in TAMU, claim APs only if those equivlant classes at TAMU are tough (note that it may not work for ETAM as Departments do consider if students trying to dodge tough classes). For easy TAMU classes one may want to consider taking them at TAMU to boost GPA.

DC has no choice but to transferred over, so avoid DC.

1 Like

@FriscoDad FriscoDad – Do you know if any student applications have been declined? Meaning the student is not accepted and have been notified?

TAMU usually offer PSA in late March as a form of soft decline. Full decline in April. At least that had been like that in the last 10 cycles.

2 Likes

She has not taken any DC, only APs. My son is currently a TAMU junior majoring in Stats, so I know how accepting the credits later works.

1 Like

Blinn team works the same way. So if one uses AP US Histroy to claim away HIS105/HIS106, one finds out he/she cannot register those classes in TAMU or Blinn. Even if one registers first (some register first and “ignorantly” claim the credit later), those hours will not be counted towards full time (12 hours) in “Dashboard” tab in Howdy, and will have to work with advisors to find classes. Without enough hours counting towards full time in Dashboard will also disqualified any accepted financial aid.
It is important for students to know that once claiming the AP credit in Howdy, not even the dean can reverse that. So make no mistake on that.

2 Likes

Son has been accepted to A&M Construction Science. Do you know if he will be able to take maths and Econ at the Rellis campus?