Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Congrats! What major?

1 Like

In his application he had biology first then sport’s management second. Now is says blinn team as the major !

1 Like

FriscoDad - Most of this year, I’ve been watching from the sidelines… but I wanted to tell you, ChristiR93, and 52AG82 thank you for all that you do. You are without a doubt making a difference in people’s lives on a daily basis with your kindness, support, and wealth of knowledge. Helping SilviaWS’s DD realize what had happened in SRAR and helping her fix things so quickly… you are amazing!

15 Likes

Change of Major - my daughter was accepted in the college of arts and science meteorology mid December then over the holidays, decided she wanted to change her major to chemistry. She reached out to the advisor for chemistry who told her to submit a major change in her. Howdy portal. Her major was changed to chemistry in two days. Hope that helps anybody who’s child is thinking of changing their major.

3 Likes

My son submitted a change of major from business to engineering during the holiday break (he had been admitted in September). We were very concerned about ETAM but he really wanted engineering so decided to take the chance. The request was submitted in Howdy. Within one week, he was accepted into general engineering. Thought I’d share his experience in case it helps anyone else. Praying for all those awaiting decisions.

4 Likes

From numbers provided from TAMU to kid’s JROTC instructor, if they are accurate, doing the math, the acceptance rate for holistic applicants this year will be around 37%. Overall will be around over 52%.

Just under 50k applications for first year freshmen, and they plan to make around 26,000 offers. I believe this will include Blinn team offers and Gateway, but don’t think it includes PSA. There were around 12,200 top 10% auto admits, so that would leave around 14,000 offers for around 38,000 holistic applicants.

1 Like

@JustTwo217 interesting stats! It wouldn’t include PSA. PSA is considered a ‘soft rejection’ by most; those students are offered options at satellite schools, NOT Texas A&M.

Hello all. I’m super anxious about being admitted and figured I’d see what some people think my chances are here (into the UNIVERSITY, not necessarily into the school of engineering because to my understanding, students can make it into the university and end up not being admitted into their college/majors of choice). I applied back in late October to engineering; first choice major is computer science, second choice major is the brand new data engineering major.

Class Rank: Almost fell into first quarter as of the end of junior year (27%, 215/800 at competitive school).

SAT: 1280 (630 math, 650 english)

GPA: 3.8 unweighted, 4.57 weighted

Class Rigor: Freshman and sophomore year sucked, but I explained it in my essay (death of a close friend). Only got a few honors classes there. Junior year was 2 AP’s and an honors class. Senior year is 2 dual credit, 1 AP, 2 other AP weighted courses and an honors class. I should also mention that this is my third year of computer science in school, so I have taken numerous courses about it.

Extracurriculars: Job since end of sophomore year as a shift leader, National Technical Honor Society (NTHS), Computer Science Club, band + outside school of music freshman and sophomore year (death of my friend relates to this as well, as we were both in band and it was a major reason as to why I ended up quitting). I’m also involved in a class that requires me to interview professionals and be mentored for a career (which for me is Data Science).

Overall, I think the strong point on my application is the fact that my grades exponentially improved. Nothing but straight A’s since junior year, and I’m taking nothing but advanced classes my senior year. Maybe the upwards trend in academic achievement will look good.

What do you guys think? Again, I mainly just wanna get into TAMU. If I don’t get into engineering, then I will try my hardest to find something else that would be suitable.

Thank you!

I heard one parent said that her kid has been admitted to CS major, which is a separate admission letter in addition to an earlier letter of the admission to College of Engineering (ETAM). I was asking for more details but she does not know the details. Applied after priority date (submitted around December 1). Her kid is in a Texas public school, offered the regular isd courses, ranking ~7% which is auto. I wonder how this can be and is there a special application process that allow the direct CS major as freshman possible?

2 Likes

TAMU has no direct admit to CS major. All CS students enter via ETAM freshmen year.

There is a BA Computing major that is direct admit, that is not computer science. BA Computing don’t have access to the 15 credit hours of advance computer science classes in junior and senior year.

1 Like

I learned that TAMS ( Texas Academy of Mathematics & Science (https://tams.unt.edu/) graduates can enter CS but they have taken college courses. According to what you confirmed and as far as I know, yes, CS should be through ETAM (except finished CS college courses like TAMS).

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking too. (On a FB thread someone said they were told by an Admissions Officer at TAMU they have over 60K applications this year. No idea if this is true or not.)

TAMS who can’t take ETAM classes will have to go through transfer, not freshmen application. ETAM and transfer both reviewed by departments. Admission office will not review transfer application, just process the data.

Thank you for replying. This is more clear now.
Do you know for year 2026, what is the first year GPA that can guarantee enter CS major for fall 2023 (sophomore)? I heard 3.75 2-3 years ago, but as CS so competitive maybe it is driven higher?
My S2023 got another OOS (Umass) CS major, for safe I may consider send him to that school instead of ETAM at TAMU.

3 Likes

Wondering what my chances are?
Applied Oct.
GPA 3.69 W 3.81 UW
CR: 116 of 795 so top 14% at competitive high school
Primarily AP and honors classes
Over 400 volunteer hours
Debate Team President
Choir VP
Show Choir
NHS
Student Council
Purple Jackets (Honor organization picked by facility - then still had to apply- of leaders in the school - explained in application - only 10 male and 10 female seniors were chosen)
Leadership roles in my church as well as Presbytery (my church governing body)
Planning team member for multiple conferences over the last 3 years.
Girl Scout - in process of finishing Gold Award.
Essay topic - compared my dealing with ADHD diagnosis with the 5 stages of grief.

2 Likes

Also meant to include
SAT - 1270
ACT 26

@TexasGirl1969 what majors did you apply for?
Rank is good, but scores could definitely be higher.
Unfortunately if you didn’t already obtain GS Gold Award by time of application submission, that won’t help much either.
Good leadership.
How many AP classes have you taken and what scores did you get?

AP Human Geo - 5
AP US History - 3
AP English 3 - 4
Taking AP Gov and AP English 4

2 Likes

It will likely stay at 3.77 as they make ETAM year a little more difficult (if you do the math the minimum is actually 3.77).
Current 2022 ETAM cycle saw 302 out of 360 (auto 3.77+) to Comp. Science. The rest 58 out of 236 were first choice holistic ETAM (24.6%). So if falling below 3.77 the chance dropped dramatically.

1 Like

Major was psychology and education