Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Congrats to everyone getting Blinn TEAM today. My son is a current Freshmen in TEAM. At the NSC, we met as a group with the TEAM advisors. They said about 1200 were offered TEAM in the Class of '26 – about half saw it as a problem and declined while the other half saw it as an opportunity. I just thought that was a really great way of looking at it. Also indicative of the number of spots they have.

3 Likes

So about how long does a student have to make their decision before the TEAB offer might disappear? I thought if an offer was extended, that the student had until May 1 to decide; I didn’t know that offers could be rescinded without a reason. It makes it tough to compare offers when not all merit offers from other schools have come in yet. Any insight on the timing? Thanks.

Hey guys. I applied to computer science as my first-choice major, but I really don’t know if I’m gonna get into engineering. Just seems so competitive. I have a 1280 SAT and am ranked 27% with a 3.8 GPA, which I understand to be not all that competitive for engineering. Because of this, I’m thinking about making my first-choice major economics instead.

There’s an issue, though; I have 3 years of CS throughout school, am in the Computer Science Club, and wrote a bit about my passion for computer science in Essay A (just a little bit). Wouldn’t that look disingenuous if I suddenly changed my major to economics in the application process?

I know I would enjoy economics and I feel like that would make the process easier, but would it be a bad decision? I don’t want them to think I’m disingenuous about CS or anything.

In your AIS, you need to reach the stage when you are ready to register for NSC for the offer to take effect. Otherwise you are not TEAB yet. You can stay on NSC (about to register) stage until May 1st.

1 Like

Can someone remind me on the 10% rule…is there any rounding done (like 10.49%) or is there a hard cutoff at 10.00%? Daughter is junior and like at 10.7% right now.

Supposedly a hard cutoff, but there were reports they cut some slack on large high schools when they assigned top 10% rank in AIS even though someone was 10.xx.

Submit official transcript regardless it is optional or not. And apply early. Good Luck!

2 Likes

Hey guys, I was accepted into A&M engineering a while back and now it’s time for the financial stuff. My EFC is 27k due to my parents getting a home that’s worth 500k from the death of a family member. They make 65k combined and are not gonna sell the home just so I can go to college. They can realistically give me 6k per year but this home bumped my EFC to 27k and would have been around 7k without the home. Net price calculators aren’t going to be accurate and the aid office keeps giving me general answers. I’m not even looking for much but even 2k would help me out a lot. It just sucks how after 4 years of stressing about actually getting in, now I have to worry about finances. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

It would be worth submitting an explanation to the financial aid office for consideration.

1 Like

Any chance they are going to live in the home? Or actually already moved into it?

1 Like

Thank you Frisco. Its a large public school in Austin area class over 700…would definitely be considered in top 4 publics in town if that matters.

1 Like

It is worth noting that 28% of TAMU students come from families without such asset and have lower family income. Financial Aid office have to look at all applications fairly through the eye of FAFSA.

As others suggested, the best option is to provide a solid reason to admission office why your parents cannot liquidate an inheritance. Parents unwilling to provide is not going to work. If parent is willing to provide but cannot liquidate the asset fast, they have loan in place for that.

Based on income alone, and if you have (and should have) access to your parents’ last year 1040, the income bracket will provide you $2-$3K grants. If you are NMSF, you will have $3K per year. Student work will make housing and board affordable. The rest can be achieved with Federal Subsidized Loan that won’t accrue interest during college time. Many students in your situation graduates with around $20K student loan which is not what contributing to the crisis nowadays.

Has anyone been accepted this year that was not an auto-admit and did not include their test scores?

1 Like

it’s states away. The home is pretty small but it’s worth so much because of it’s location

Thank you. What grant are you talking about? Do they look at the EFC or income more or is it a mix of both. Our income for 2 working parents is below average around 34k each so I hope they take that into account. On the A&M website, the COA is 32k per year but I’ve heard that you really only need 26k. My parents can give me 7k so it’s 19k per year. I can make like 5k working during the summer full time so it becomes 14k. I hopefully can work a decent amount during the year but I don’t know if that will be feasible as an engineering major. Maybe like 4k during the year so debt goes to 10k per year. 10k*4=40k in debt without any extra aid. Does that seem feasible and can I ask how you got 20k? I hope I can graduate with less than 40k in debt.

Do y’all think we’ll see the same amount of acceptances tomorrow as we did today?

1 Like

I didn’t mean for that to be a reply. Sorry!

I got offer option of Galveston, Blinn and McAllen.
As an international student which option would be best to choose in computer Science major?

What are scholarship opportunities in all of these?

4 Likes

EFC is determined by FAFSA data, not by recipient claim.

Income is family based not by single parent. FAFSA has to be filed every year so if financial situation improves or worsens the next year it will change accordingly.

Texas with 3.2M borrowers, average debt load upon graduation is only $26K. TAMU students are at the lower end of the average.

Grant in Howdy Financial Aid Portal is green color. There are many grants. They will automatically offset when it is close to tuition payment due date.

They rarely offer these to international students.

All go through same ETAM process, check your degree plan and you will see the classes line up are the same. In terms of competition, Blinn (TEAB) could be slightly tougher because half of your classes are at main campus so your competition will be full time TAMU students.
For computer science you will need to aim for 4.0.

For scholarship opportunities you have to file ISFAA and ITPEG. Make sure you do that as soon as possible as funds are limited. Ask Aggie One Stop. https://aggie.tamu.edu/resources/contact-us/contact-aos if they need more information from you they will allow you to upload via Financial Aid portal.

2 Likes

I mean I heard that they mostly send out acceptances at the end of the week all at once. I got mines on a Friday afternoon with no email or any notification. I just happened to check during 7th period