Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

@LourdesPl71 do you mean Aggieland Saturday?
If so, that’s held once a year, it’s a huge undertaking. It’s open to everyone-prospective and admitted students.

1 Like

@52AG82
In Howdy’s FinAid portal’s Award page, there is a section called “Offered Aid”. Under that list of aid offers, there is a big “Begin Processing” button. Does clicking on “Begin Processing” means officially commiting for admission? does it indicate closure of any more aid offered to be expected?

Please advice

I’m going to generalize an answer here based on the many times this question is asked…

You are not contractually bound to accepting tamus offer until… ever. You may be obligated to pay housing if you miss that cancellation date but that is it.

So for anyone who is in limbo about attending but knows they’ll live on campus if they do go to Tamu, complete phase 1 of housing knowing you could lose the $75 fee. Sign up for NsC and know you’ll lose that fee as well.

You can go to nsc sign up for classes and still not go. You are not taking away a spot for anyone else by doing this.

Obviously this is extreme and accurate but every year people are worried about this. If you’re unsure, go through the process til you are sure.

7 Likes

My son has been accepted to Galveston. He plans to be part of the A&M powerlifting team. Does any know for sure if he can be part of the team while attending Galveston?

Thank you!

I don’t see Powerlifting listed. Or is Barbell the same thing as Powerlifting? I wouldn’t assume it’s automatic to join, there’s probably a tryout.

Housing at Galveston isn’t nearly as Hunger Game like as it is in CSTAT. Or at least it wasn’t last year even though they ran out of room and had to collaborate with the apartment complex right next door. The students are given their window to log in and make a selection. Again, last Fall they had some glitches but if you were on the FB parent page the Housing Director, Neil, made several posts explaining when things would open up and not to worry. Very laid back compared to CSTAT and it felt kind of nice to be able to ask a few questions as a parent. My kiddo ended up in TAMMAH that you are referring to as Maritime and he likes that even though it’s 4 to a suite, just 2 boys end up sharing a bathroom and sink area. You can check out all the variations at this link in you haven’t already. TAMUG Housing Options - Texas A&M Galveston, TX

3 Likes

@despo-dad clicking on something offered isn’t committing your student to attend A&M. It could be a grant, scholarship or financial aid. You have to click to view, to see what’s offered. Even then, that isn’t committing your student to attend A&M.

1 Like

I would ask the coaching staff that question. There are a lot of intercollegiate athletics rules that I bet no one here knows.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, there will be tryouts. I am not sure on the wording of “barbell” I will send an email to the contact you shared. Thank you!

Your SON needs to send the inquiry.

Yes, he will!

For students co-enrolled (either TEAB or TEAM) are they considered full-time students Texas A&M? Or, are they considered part-time students at the respective institutions (TAMU & Blinn)? The classification has implications for tax filing and ability for a parent to claim education expenses paid by the parent (or use college savings accounts like 529 plans).

@2atTAMU thats a great question for @FriscoDad
and/or AggieOneStop

1 Like

In the Howdy Dashboard where it shows class schedule (after finishing class registration at NSC), it will indicate if the student is full time or not, if not, the FID (Financial Aid status, scroll the way to the right) will show Yes or No. If a class is in target major but FID status is No, TAP is the one to fix it.

The Dashboard will combine (Blinn and TAMU) to show if student is full time. The determination is based on targeting degree code. Even though the major says Blinn Team, the targeting code (e.g. BIOL) will determine if there are at least 12 hours (TAMU and Blinn combined) will count towards the degree plan. It is very important students don’t claim any AP credits in Howdy so if a student cannot register some classes, a core curriculum will count towards degree plan. AP credit claiming is NOT reversible, for instance once AP History claimed (HIS105) , a core curriculum class HIS 105 will not count towards degree plan and hence affecting financial aid hours.

Blinn students can register Blinn Classes BEFORE NSC, just make sure the campus code is RL for Rellis. That will make picking TAMU time slot easier. The early student finishes the more selection the student have (e.g. MWF at Blinn, TTH at TAMU) with less campus hopping. So for Blinn students it is better to go to earlier NSCs.

TAMU system will purposely block MATH and CHEM for Blinn students because they want students to take them at Blinn RL.

2 Likes

Well…don’t know how to say this lol but…Twin 2 has made his decision and just paid his enrollment deposit for UT Austin :upside_down_face:

He’s been comparing the programs at Mays vs going with his offered Econ major at UT and decided that he wants to go the Econ + BEOP minor in Finance at UT with plans for either law school or MS Finance at McCombs. Austin just seems to better fit for him.

Twin 1 has not ruled out A&M Engineering so I just might end up with true Gemini Twins with one :metal:t4:and one :+1:t4: lol.

14 Likes

@FriscoDad Are you suggesting not to claim AP and DC hours in first year of TEAM?

DC apply automatically.
ALWAYS wait to apply AP credits, until meeting with A&M advisor.

3 Likes

I think you are right. My son really likes Atlantic. It and Pacific are identical. Oceans and Hullaballoo are to be avoided if possible because they are older and not very nice. TAMMU is good, but is a bit of a walk. Not too bad though. The bathroom configuration is better at TAMMU (Maritime Bldg).

For this current year, my son did not accept admission until February and he was able to get Atlantic along with his preferred roommate. They will assign you a day for dorm selection. There were lots of problems last year and on my son’s assigned day and time, there was next to nothing available. I called and the housing department was quick to help me locate my son and his roommate with a spot in their preferred housing, Atlantic. Last year, they had too many kids to accommodate everyone on campus so they approved all requests to live off campus and even had to secure some temporary overflow housing in a nearby apartment complex. So for anyone going through the housing process this year, just make sure your student ready to log in at their assigned housing time and don’t be afraid to call if you have any problems. The staff is very helpful.

2 Likes

My son was initially leaning toward LSU until Bama gave him the huge scholarship and he went and toured it. We ended up more impressed with Bama overall. We did need to factor in the added travel costs to Bama but with the merit offers from both schools they were pretty much the same price.

6 Likes