Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Not sure what exactly he’s / you’re concerned about, but I’m a liberal former student/ 3rd generation Aggie and when I spent time with students/ incoming freshmen at Fish Camp last year, I was really impressed with the inclusivity I saw. Counselors wore their pronouns while everyone learned how to two step, there was all the Aggie Spirit and traditions and no one was left out, no matter how they were dressed or wore their hair. Aggies are friendly and respectful and the place is big enough that if you meet someone you don’t get along with, you can easily ignore them for 4 years.

5 Likes

Thought you might find this helpful. It was on one of the Aggie parents FB groups. Someone put together a list based on what people were posting was available throughout last year’s dorm selection. It could give a general historic idea.

5 Likes

This is incredibly helpful! Thank you!

We’re not looking for more sunshine, (it’s already oppressively hot in Texas, wink/wink), simply wondering if any departmental information would be forthcoming considering other state schools have sent plenty despite large enrollment numbers. Others have kindly answered and said TAMU typically doesn’t, but that there is room for improvement in this area.

1 Like

Disregard, double post

1 Like

This is actually very helpful and is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’m honestly surprised by how fast the dorms fill up but I remember you guys were explaining that the best ones fill up super fast. I submitted my housing app late Jan-early Feb so it looks like I wont be left with any good options. There isn’t a lot of info on white creek apartments, do you think I will still be able to get an apartment there, preferably a 2 bed 2 bath?

1 Like

@Boss77 White Creek is usually the last to fill-cost and location-but you never know. Some years it has been more sought after than others.
You do have a very late dorm selection time, so be prepared to grab something, anything. Once you have secured a bed, you can go back in daily to try & switch. Don’t try to switch, tho, if you have a roommate, won’t be possible.

Alright that makes sense. I mean white creek wasn’t my first option but at the end of the day its just a 10 min bus ride to main campus so it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Plus there are some benefits like having a kitchen and stuff. Although I know the main downside is being far from campus. Also I am a business major so for the few classes I have at mays, it will be pretty convenient. Also what do you mean by it will be impossible to switch with a roommate? Do you mean like there is no chance that you will find an open room or that it’s actually not possible to switch with a roommate?

@Boss77 White Creek definitely has some benefits-parking lot, the Creekside Store & cafe + study/exercise area. It is kinda adjacent to The Gardens which are awesome! And yes, a kitchen & w/d in the unit are great!

As a Mays freshman, you could easily have a couple classes on West Campus (1 at Wehner in the fall, maybe 1-2 in the spring), but you could have electives over there, too, in random bldgs.

This is why you & roomie need to find a room together during selection, and call it a day:

1.) a full, open room for 2 opening up is next to impossible
2.) even if one did open up, there’s not the opportunity to ‘pull up’ a roomie, like during dorm selection. You would both have to be viewing at the exact time and attempt to both get in the room. Just won’t happen. You have to give up your current bed, in order to switch, so one or both of you would then be out of luck.
3.) when beds do open up, they are snatched instantly

Oh ok I understand what you are saying. Well I guess we just hope for the best, and like you said we should be happy with any room we can find. I appreciate your help.

1 Like

@Boss77 make sure you have a parent who is on one of Parent FB pages. Tons of posts & chatter about dorm selection when it starts. Parents (whose students have already selected) can even log back in, the night before your date, and tell you exactly what dorms have beds/rooms open.
This would be SUPER helpful to you.

There’s a great Aggie Moms/Dads of Mays page to join, also! Staying on top of/ahead of things at A&M is key! Join & follow as many social media pages as you can, tell a parent to do the same, and be sure you are checking your Howdy and tamu email daily.

1 Like

Talking about the email. How do I gain access to it? Do you have to commit to get email access?

1 Like

My son LOVED white creek. He had a 4x2 and they really enjoyed the small living area and having their own bedrooms. The campus is a 10 minute walk but the shuttle is pretty quick and there’s an app showing real time location. The perks of white creek market and little msc is also great. Once you’re on main campus for the day, living on West side is irrelevant. You don’t go back to your room til you’re ready. And trust me… whether you live on north or south or west side… there will be tons of walking.

This is a quick first year and you will be fine wherever you end up!!! Have fun.

1 Like

Regarding the aero program at A&M- my junior daughter would say that many tried to talk her out of aero (she had a 4.0 freshman year, so was an auto admit to the department of her choice) because the department is “a mess.” They have had trouble keeping advisors, which causes problems. Some of the students don’t love all the professors. I have heard of students leaving the department and being much happier in other departments. My daughter has struggled with several classes (her freshman year was by far her easiest). But the truth is this is challenging content, and there is no grade inflation- which is perhaps rare in colleges these days. My daughter has found her people and has also found incredible opportunities (AggieSat is an awesome organization she is involved in). I know she will do great things with her education and experiences. I don’t know anything about the other two schools, but that’s what I can tell you about A&M aero.

1 Like

Daughter is accepted to Blinn Team for fall of 2023. Question regarding taking summer courses prior to starting fall semester. How do we find out if she can satisfy one of the math courses by taking it this summer at our local college to count toward the TEAM requirement? She plans to follow Public Health pathway.

Google Tamu transfer equivalency and plug it in from the Cc she’s taking it. Then it’ll show if it’ll transfer to math 140 at Tamu. It should be math 1324 at CC

Hmmm my son sounds very similar to your daughter - while I am NOT discounting work freshman year, he’s 2 years ahead in math (finished Calc III a year ago) and in physics so he feels that with a lot of work he can get that 3.75 GPA to be auto admit to AERO. It’s the “what comes after that” that is concerned me… do you feel like they are doing better keeping advisors now? Matching kids up with great internships and job opps? Is the unhappiness after freshman year due to work load and difficulty or due to disorganization within the department? Thank you SO much for your input - it’s just… such a tough decision as there are plusses an minuses to the 3 main schools he’s looking at for AERO. Ironicaly we have heard lots worse about Purdue (the hotbed of astronauts) and how competitive and lack of support. So appreciate the input GREATLY!

Could you please elaborate on Purdue feedback? My DS also into Aero weighing between Purdue (full ride), GT (no merit), and UMich ($25k/year merit scholarship). He just withdrew from A&M and Penn State.

3 Likes

@PamH My senior aero aggie is about to graduate and has always gotten enough classes, albeit last minute much of the time and not necessarily the elective he wanted, especially the aero electives. Some of the aero electives he had on his degree plan were not even offered and in other cases, perhaps the early-registering honors kids grabbed the next best ones?
Junior year he had lots of trouble getting email response from advisors during registration and told me there was only one adviser. Dont know if that has changed now.
Please know that tamu does not match kids up with internships or jobs - that is 100% the students responsibility. There are some great aero clubs but spaces are limited and competitive - sounding rocket and rocket engine design.

1 Like

Purdue is a GREAT GREAT school… and just sometimes it’s a decision about FIT. Does the kiddo want to go in more of a research direction or an industry direction? Are they good in a competitive environment or do they need something more collaborative? What kind of support is given/provided vs what they need? What’s the social life and is it a fit? So you can’t go wrong at Purdue in terms of education… in our case, it’s just about FIT for our kiddo. Your DS will be GREAT!

2 Likes