Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you! Definitely makes him reconsider - he’s visiting Penn State next week (aerospace engineering too) and the Dean of undergraduate aerospace literally made room in his schedule to meet with my son for an hour and arranged for a private tour. Our oldest is at Penn State and loves it, so even though it’s aerospace is a couple spots lower ranked, they have a new aero building opening next year and maybe it’s a better fit for jobs/alumni/support. THANK YOU - your direct experience is EXTREMELY helpful! :pray:

3 Likes

Maybe we can shift Penn State discussions to the Penn State board and Purdue discussions to Purdue board?

5 Likes

My junior aero daughter has always been able to get the classes she wants, but she knows every trick in the book (gets alerts from coursicle and changes her schedule frequently after registration to continue to optimize it). She has secured an aero internship for the summer after her junior year- but that was definitely due to her hustle (and her satellite experience was a huge help).

Best of luck to your student as they make their final decision in which program.

2 Likes

Has anybody heard of cases when TAMU matched a National Merit Scholarship offer from another college? My daughter has 4 full rides from other colleges (including Bama, UTD, Texas Tech) but only $10500/year from TAMU. She sent a Scholarship Counter Offer Inquiry to the admissions. Just curious how much if anything at all we should expect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are all much lower ranked schools. I’ve never known A&M to increase its NM offer any further unless need based financial aid was the reason.

PES is only $10,500 per year?

1 Like

PES is only $3000/year plus $1000 one time stipend.

Wow, that’s what they gave NMFs about 35 years ago. And UT guaranteed roughly $2k per year.

Sorry, didn’t know A&M broke out NM awards vs PES. Guess so. Probably did that back in my day as well but I know it was $3k per year but costs were only $5k total. Boy, have things changed.

@Hike_and_bike are they a NM Finalist? If so, this is what they get.
And no, A&M won’t match the schools you mentioned-not near as competitive as A&M.
If you want a full ride, you’ll have to go to one of the other schools.
*TAMU had the 2nd highest number of NMF this current school year, barely behind Alabama.

2 Likes

I’m curious how you know the numbers for the current year and where one could find them.
I’ve read a post (don’t remember where) of a parent who’s kid, a NMF, got into UTD and TAMU matched the offer. But that is the only example I was able to find.

@Hike_and_bike google & AggieOneStop have the scholarship info.

You can try to ask for matching…wouldn’t count on it. With the 2nd most NMF, they just don’t have to match.
*at the fall 2022 PES ceremony, they announced the exact number of NMF, NMSF, Brown Scholars, Eagle/Gold Scouts, etc.
215 NMF, 267 NMSF current freshman

https://aggieonestop.tamu.edu/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships

TEAB son attempted to register Blinn Math and Chem Fall courses this morning and received registration error “Student Attribute Restriction.” He IS able to register for other courses (i.e. those not required by first year TEAB students). He is unable to register for any courses not at Rellis, receiving an error message “Campus Restriction.” My son called the registration support which confirmed the CRNs visible in the registration portal are for non-TEAB program students. He directed us to to Lauren Buth for registering classes. Given this, it appears things are being handled differently than in the past whereby students could register ahead of NSC. This is consistent with the email we received from Lauren and what @Decision2023 shared from the Blinn virtual session. I’d be curious to learn if any other TEAB students have a different experience.

1 Like

Son’s future roommate was able to register after taking MPE, without taking MPE no one can register Math class.

2 Likes

Yes, thought of that as well. But, same error is received when attempting to register for the Chemistry class only. So, it does not appear to be an MPE-specific restriction.

Two questions. Is there an approximate date known for when phase 4 will begin to open? As well as an approximate time of a move in date for the beginning of 2023-2024.

Classes start Monday, August 21, 2023 (download the A&M app, look at the Academic Calendar). Dorm move-in will probably be 3-4 days prior. Students will sign up for move-in slots.
Dorm selection should start 1st-2nd week in May. All students will get their assigned dorm selection time in April. The students who signed up for Housing in September get the earliest selection time, and it goes from there.

Follow ResLife, Aggie One Stop, download A&M app

Has anyone received a timeslot email yet? I know they’re supposed to come out in April but its the 18th so I’m getting worried.

@sdouglass23 i haven’t seen anyone mention time slots going out yet…should be anyday. All students receive them at the same time.
You’re Blinn TEAM, correct? Unless you match with someone really high, you will have a late selection time.
If you’ve got a parent on FB, they can join/follow the main Aggie Moms/Dads page to follow the dorm chatter (once the dates are sent out).

I believe there are new rules this year, according to those who accepted the Opportunity program. Here’s a screenshot.

1 Like

I know this is a long shot but I am hoping to gain some insight from people who’ve gone through this process already. I am an engineering academy transfer applicant with Austin Community College. I was told, after emailing admissions, that engineering academy applicants will only be able to view their TARs “if and when you are admitted to” tamu. After checking my Howdy portal today, I was able to find and download

*I was able to find and download my TAR. Can anyone confirm/elaborate if this means anything?