Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

for those of you whose child is applying to the Mays business school what did you use as your second choice of major? My daughter was thinking of engineering but she didn’t want admissions to throw off her application.

Many but Econ or ag business

3 Likes

I know people who have done econ, applied math or construction science.

2 Likes

My son is putting Econ as his second

2 Likes

@TamuDad15 I’m confused. You mentioned earlier your daughter was applying to Engineering, didn’t you? So did she switch to Mays?
Is she Top Ten%?
My ‘23 Mays Aggie listed Bush Policy School, as her 2nd major choice, I think?! Many list Ag Business, Ag Econ, Ag Leadership or Econ.

Well the choices that relates both Engineering and Mays that I have seen are MIS under Mays and Computer Science or Technology Management under Engineering.
But if you say Chem E and MIS that will be quite difficult to tie the essays together.

Sorry for any confusion- she is submitting her Tamu app on Wednesday when her 3rd SAT score is supposed to be released

As far as her major it has literally been a daily coin flip I honestly don’t know if she’s leaning engineering or business at this point I guess I’ll learn once we submit the application she has a really good engineering essay but she is struggling with the two supplemental essays required for both majors.

She did apply for engineering at Arkansas Houston and Trinity.

Texas A&M is her 100%love. It’s the only school she wants to go to even if it’s Blinn Team. Plus our older daughter is there as well left yesterday with a car full of stuff to move into her apartment.

My senior is not top 10%
Large competitive school.
Current SAT - 1320
GPA - 98% weighted
3 on AP English and Chemistry

1 Like

I’ve been very unimpressed with the common app so far we applied to three schools and haven’t heard a word from any one of them.

I was curious if there is any advantage of using the apply Texas app over the common app.

My twins have applied to 4 other schools via Common App and have not heard a word from any of the schools either! No emails, no links to portals…nothing! It’s been a week now. They are both auto admits, and I’m seeing others say that they’re acceptances have already come in. I think I may have them switch to Apply Texas to submit they’re TAMU apps this week, just to conduct a little experiment of my own. They would have their TAMU apps in this weekend, but both came home from the first days of school Covid positive :pensive:

2 Likes

Same here, nothing from the other 3 schools applied via common app

I think this with most schools. My son received the emails from TAMU and TAMUG 4 days later which is normal. But Houston nothing after 2 weeks. ISF was quickest at 2 days and Ole miss same

Its not a common app thing its a school thing. You can see on common app when each university downloads your info. Some won’t even do that until September, even if you apply August 1. Others like TAMU and FSU will be within a couple days followed by portal info. Every shchool has their own schedule. We are still waiting on 4 portals of 12.

4 Likes

Thank you - I didn’t realize you can see if the college downloads the Common App.

Trinity did, The other 2 did not

This is a big help

I didn’t know that either! So far it looks like only UTSA has downloaded the application. UNT, UTA & Texas Tech have not.

My Thing 2 is submitting his apps to Trinity, Southwestern & Austin College in September.

@TamuDad15 thanks for stats, clarification.
I’m just a parent, certainly not an expert.
Here are my thoughts-
I would not suggest listing both Mays and Engineering as her 2 major choices, especially if she isn’t AutoAdmit. One or the other, then a different 2nd choice. Unless she scores 1440+ on this latest SAT, Mays could be out of reach (based on the last year).
Unless she’s got a lot of heavy math classes taken + AP credits ( 4 or 5s), plus a much higher SAT, it may be quite awhile before she hears back from Engineering, like the spring, and high chance she’ll get offered one of the various Engineering pathways (TEAB, Galveston, McAllen, BlinnBrenham).
I’d list a 2nd choice major not nearly as competitive, as Mays & Engineering.
She’s got a good SAT, but unfortunately there will be many others with higher, plus Auto Admit. And MANY that applied August 1, in hopes to be at the top of the stack (not sure how they review holistic?).
I’ll let @FriscoDad and @ChristiR93 chime in…they are much more ‘in the know’.

If Tamu is her goal, then I would do engineering first choice and assume she’ll get some sort of pathway like Teab or Galveston for worst case. Is she top quarter? What is her math rigor in high school?

Mays will be a reach unless this 3rd sat is 1400 plus and even then, it’s not guaranteed.

What are her career plans with each major? Maybe that’ll help her decide. Can always go eng with business minor or flip that with some engineering plans that offer a minor.

2 Likes

Not a Texas school - but Duke said you can apply Aug 1 but we will not download anything before September 1

A friend of mine runs a finance and accounting recruiting firm. He said he wouldn’t have his kid choose A&M if they know they want to do business and don’t get into Mays out of HS. His daughter is an A&M accounting grad. That said, his opinion may be skewed by the accounting focus. General business could be different and easily achievable with econ or ag business. Just check the career outcomes of each major. A&M does a great job of reporting outcomes by major.

I’m confused by this discussion of what is good enough to get into Mays. At the admissions counseling session, I asked whether Mays is competitive (like engineering is), and was told that it is very popular, but first-come-first served. I.e., if you are admitted to the university early enough and have Mays as your first choice, then that is where you go. This is what the website says:

Mays does not directly select new freshmen. All students must apply through the university’s Office of Admissions process. Select business (BUAD) as your first-choice major. Once you have been admitted to the university, you will be considered by University Admissions for entry into Mays on a first-come, first-served basis. The demand for Mays is much greater than the number actually admitted, so it is important to complete the application process early. If there is no space available in Mays when you are admitted to the university, you will be placed in your second-choice major. Please direct all inquiries to the Office of Admissions, not Mays.

Now my daughter said she wants to apply to meteorology but does want to be on TV - she likes the chemistry classes but all the other courses look hard. I would imagine that major is equally competitive as Mays or Engineering. I’ll need therapy soon. I’m sure there are many other parents in the same situation I’m in.

1 Like