Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Looking for info on the activities portion of the application. My son is in Boy Scouts and weeks per year is 52. What does he enter for senior year? How do we figure weeks per year if they haven’t happened?

@FriscoDad - do you know how many engineering students total by each engineering major after the general engineering freshman year?

Also by campus? I am interested in CS stats for engineering numbers by each major.

1 Like

They know it hasn’t happened so just average it out based on prior years.

The results of ETAM 2021 listed below

The table listed by destination not by origin, i.e. it won’t show which location the students came from. So the total can be from College Station, Galveston, McAllen, and the 6 Engineering Academies.

2 Likes

Is general engineering hard to get into if you’re a review admit? Every time I research, I get a different answer. Sometimes, websites say that it’s fairly easy to get into. Other times, I’m convinced that A&M engineering is an ivy league for people outside of the top 10 percent because all of the spots get filled up my auto admits. I’m top 13% and have a pretty good SAT score -above A&M 75 percentile -but I don’t want to get my hopes too high and not have some good backup options. Does the college release acceptance rate data outside the top 10 percent because I feel like the 63 percent acceptance rate on google is skewed?

Last two cycles excluding auto, (review applicants only) were 63%. It was not skewed.

But note that this number include College Station and TEAB.

In terms of SAT, do not use the SAT range for any Texas public colleges because of the auto-admit law, auto applicants have no incentive to prepare for SAT/ACT. A good SAT score is for review admit and for TAMU engineering will be at least 1400. 1350 to 1400 may get TEAB.

I think engineering is easy to get in. Some top 25% got in engineering last year.

Because Tamu is still building the numbers in engineering more so than any other major, there are many review students that get in directly to main campus or alternative pathways which all lead to ETAM.

Since engineering goes through an additional review, top 10% do not necessarily get in over review candidates.

My S23 is preparing to submit his engineering application. He’s interested in materials science and engineering (MSE). 1520 SAT (770 verbal, 750 math), 4.2 W / 3.7 UW GPA with all the pre-engineering AP courses you’d expect. Calculus BC and Physics C: E&M this year. Working to get those essays finished so he can submit by end of August. Other than essays, the other potential hang up is recommendation letters. His physics teacher should have one ready soon, but with all new counselors and teacher turnover, it might be weeks before he can get a counselor or 2nd teacher recommendation. His choir teacher might be able to write one and she would write a glowing letter. Should he go ahead and submit the application without the recommendation letters? He has strong ECs also (state qualifier in choir and debate) but not top 10%.

Wow. Please listen when I say LoRs do not carry much weight AT ALL.

Everyone… do not hold up your application for anything optional!!!

As for your son… he will have no trouble being accepted into engineering. Scores/rigor/ECs are enough!!!

Keep us posted and get that app in this month!

3 Likes

My D19 is in MSEN and loves it. It is a great program at TAMU. Good luck to S23. His stats are awesome.

1 Like

How long does it typically take A&M to receive a transcript? D23 got email confirming transcript was sent through parchment 8/12. Transcript still not showing under received documents in AIS, and she still has❌on AIS next to transcript.

If you have AIS access go ask a question, the match normally takes 2-3 business days.

Your son should have no issue gaining acceptance, save the LOR process for Engineering Honor application, which will need a separate LOR. Submit resume via AIS. There is no need to wait for LOR to submit application.

Calculus BC and Physics 1/2/C will help ETAM year and Material Science ETAM is not difficult.

1 Like

As an auto admit (trying for Mays Business Honors) if I upload my resume to AIS, should I use my 5 page expanded_resume (using for UT Austin) or make it 2 pages long for A&M ?

Can I ask what a good SAT would be for review admit and NOT engineering or Mays? Is any score below 1300-1350 a Hail Mary at best?

Long is better.

1 Like

Score and ranking both matters. Below 1300 in scores may have a chance for Blinn it will depends on the rest of the application material.

D23 twins selected “regular decision” through Apply Texas, because they will be holistic review. Was told by friend they should have selected “early decision” to show commitment to A&M being their first choice. Thoughts?