Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

@MMMAg & @dawn3 my $.02 is don’t apply hoping/banking on being offered Blinn TEAM or Gateway. If your student is holistic, make sure they apply to a solid, slam dunk school where they’ll be admitted.
Since 2018, when my Aggie applied (and Auto Admit then included test scores OR rank), the level of competition has steadily gotten higher & tougher every year.
We’re seeing students literally just shy of Top Ten% (like 11%) not get accepted, or possibly offered a pathway. Holistic students who went test optional last year heard back later (for the most part) then those who submitted scores.
Gateway, TEAM and PSA aren’t offered until spring, and it was pretty late this past year. Just make sure your students have other offers & opportunities, don’t let them put all their eggs in one basket.
Simply my opinion, based on trends and observations…

*I’d also make sure they have taken official TAMU tour, made contact with local A&M admissions rep.
Do as many ‘extras’ as possible…might or might not help, certainly won’t hurt!

3 Likes

Blinn Team is offered by TAMU. There is no direct application path.
Once offered, there is a path. Some majors have low barrier to change major to full time TAMU, some majors can be competitive.

2 Likes

Thanks to all above! Yes, we’ve done exactly what you have all mentioned. Had everything in and green check marked by 8/6 for TAMU. Hoping for full admittance (definite possibility), but covering all aspects and making sure we didn’t miss something. Now, prayers and patience.

Also, appreciate the experts on here that give their time generously to answer questions! This process can be daunting, so thank you!

3 Likes

Keep us posted on the process!

2 Likes

Agree with everything MMMAg said.

Thank you to all for the advice. I really do appreciate all the help offered here by everyone. It’s funny because once I think I understand everything, something else pops up. :slight_smile:

We have also applied elsewhere (with guaranteed acceptance per their matrix) but my student really wants A&M. It’s been his dream for years. We are hoping for full admit but knowing the tough road ahead, we are considering all opportunities. I think my child would live in a doghouse for a year if A&M told him they’d let him transfer to CS afterwards.

4 Likes

@dawn3 keep us posted :bangbang:

+1! This thread has been super helpful thanks to @ChristiR93 @FriscoDad and many others!
My daughter is a review admit, top 25%, most likely NMSF (anticipating the announcement very soon), perfect ACT, varsity athlete, varsity debater, little leadership. Applied through Common App on Aug 6, all green :white_check_mark: since Aug 11. First choice major: Comp Sci. Going to apply to engineering honors. Hoping for the Brown scholarship but keep the hopes low :slight_smile: I’ll post updates when we hear from TAMU.

4 Likes

Wow. Super impressive stats! I’m sure she will hear sooner than later and hopefully for that scholarship!! Best of luck. The work is done, now reap the rewards!!

@Hike_and_bike great stats! Perfect ACT…wow!
My only thoughts about Brown are, not being Top Ten% and little leadership will count against your student.
Good news is, if they can get NMSF, they’re automatically given Texas A&M Presidents Endowed Scholarship (PES), which is the highest TAMU academic scholarship. Not near Brown, in terms of $$, but still very impressive and $3k and year + study abroad stipend.
Keep us posted!

Huh. I was a PES and had lots of friends with scholarships (Hi Lechnerds!) but I don’t remember Brown scholarships. They must not have been funding as many of them back in the dark ages.

Fellow Lechnerd here. They didn’t. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@LaFinalista i think Brown started in 1992. It is a truly fantastic scholarship, HIGHLY competitive, applicants go thru a multi interview process.

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/The-Craig-and-Galen-Brown-Foundation

1 Like

@FriscoDad and @ChristiR93 - Will you all elaborate on applying for University Honors? Is that a link that comes in through AIS or a separate email?

I would, but not my realm of expertise. @52AG82 and @FriscoDad are best for this.

2 Likes

@Freshman19 University Honors (UH) blurb & link below.
I’ll say, not impressed by UH, as a whole. It’s kinda a hodge podge program (I think). College & Departmental specific Honors programs are FAR better! Unfortunately not every major offers an Honors program, and like everything at TAMU, they’re terribly competitive.
UH requires freshman to live in either McFadden or Lechner dorms, you can’t select your roommate, and UH really leaves students in a lurch because they don’t let UH applicants know if they’re been accepted, or not, until late April or early May.
I’d love to see some data on those that start out in UH, and how many stick with it and graduate UH. Many seem to drop the program after 1-2 years. At the end of my Aggie’s sophomore year, they sent out a blanket email to anyone with like a 3.5 gpa, to apply…cause so many had dropped.
Obviously I’m not a fan of UH :rofl:, but it clearly meets a need for some.
Also not sure how many non Auto Admit are accepted into UH or Engineering Honors, as incoming freshman? You’ve gotta have some top scores & stats to get into UH, Engineering & Business Honors (and I’m sure most other HNR programs, I’m just familiar with those 3 the most).
https://honorsprograms.tamu.edu/

1 Like

Do Business Honors freshmen also live in the above 2 dorms ?

Apply link is here

https://launch.tamu.edu/Applications/University-Honors

1 Like

@voda2013 no! Only UH requires living in specific dorms. Many Engineering majors & Engineering HNR students do choose to live in the same dorm, in the ‘Engineering Village’, but that isn’t required. Only UH requires living together.

2 Likes

Thank you!!
What is the best way to let TAMU know of a recent Girl Scouts Gold Award (received after applying). I was thinking via AIS upload.

2 Likes