Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Your transcript should have a GPA on it.

1 Like

@TexasTiger1984 has your student taken the ACT? Thought about taking SAT again?
@FriscoDad is the Engineering expert. He’ll want to know the highest levels of math & science taken? He can chance you best.

Assume most of these are STEM. How many high school science and math credits? (1 credit for 1 high school year). Higher science and math (high school) credits in SRAR will favor STEM admission.

As 52AG82 suggested, there is still an October 1st SAT if your student have higher scores during practice. This will be the easiest enhancement. If you look at the scoring sheet, between 1310 and 1400 may be just 5 to 6 more correct answers.

If TAMU is your student’s top choice, consider a separate TAMU Galveston as well. TAMUG start offering computer science (which will get popular fast) and Multidisciplinary (MXET). Transfer success rate had been 50% the past few years.

1 Like

What do you mean transfer? Wouldn’t it be a change of major or campus? Or do they have to apply as transfer for engineering if the same major is offered at Galveston campus.

2 Likes

My daughter applied on 8/7. She is top 12.4% and made to NMSF. The cutoff score is out today. How will TAMU know she is NMSF?

Apply as regular transfer. TAMUG students will submit transfer applications.

Transfer applications are reviewed by departments. TAMUG students get an edge in terms of course compatibility over transfer from other colleges.

1 Like

SAT/ACT - The 1310 was the higher of the two tests he’s taken so he’s done with testing.
4.5 years of Science (the 1/2 was a semester of AP CS) and 4 Math including BC Calculus this year.

FriscoDad - would you say 50/50 to get into College Station but very likely to get Blinn Engineering if doesn’t get main campus first year? He’s not interested in Galveston but that does look like a good path for CS students.

Science are usually referred as natural science Biology, Chemistry, Physics 1 , 2 and C, Microbiology, Environmental Science… Computer science for some reason doesn’t count as math or science (only Texas but that’s the reason Texas students know more).

TAMU won’t look at a particular course a student take, but student with 5+ science and/or 5+ math credit receive favor in admission in second holistic review. Still ranking and public scores are the two most heavy factors.

Blinn (TEAB) nowadays is more like spill over of general engineering in College Station, so together there is a chance but can’t say 50/50 as it depends on the real picture of the SRAR and other parts of the application.

3 Likes

Hi @ChristiR93 - I do have the GPA from the transcript, but as I read through the posts it says that we should make sure our SRAR calculates a GPA that is similar to the one that the SRAR automatically calculates. That’s the one I can’t find… on the SRAR.

1 Like

Actually they don’t transfer. It’s just a change of major. For instance if they are in Maritime business and want ag Econ, they fulfill the requirements to change major and submit that through howdy. If they meet the requirements, then the next semester they move to cstat.

It’s been like that forever. I think the only caveat is they must change to a major that is not offered at Galveston location. And then majors that are highly competitive like mays and viz, reviewed by dept just like it would be for a college station student. Absolutely no difference.

4 Likes

Transfer the gpa as shown on your transcript. It will also ask what the point scale is (4,5,6). There’s no reason to calculate your gpa. This is brought up every year. People over think it. I think it’s just worded poorly.

My sons school is on a 5.0 scale because 1 point is weighted for AP and honors ( not dual credit). Obviously no one can get an overall 5.0 since they take classes that aren’t weighted.

My friends school is on a 6.0 because AP is 2 points and dual is 1 point.

Some schools don’t weight at all so that’s a 4.0 scale.

Then some do different weights for A+. A and A-

So go off your high school transfer. Don’t deviate.

1 Like

Right. Thank you. We put her GPA down out of 5, exactly like it is on her transcript. I think it was @FriscoDad maybe? that mentioned somewhere in the thread that the GPA is also calculated somewhere on the SRAR (other than the self-reported) GPA. That’s what I didn’t see.

1 Like

Oh gotcha. Sorry. I have ptsd from last years thread of panic over this. Lol.

2 Likes

@TexasMom88 Were you able to figure out on how to enter NMSF updates?

I have the same question. Thanks

I totally understand! The last time I had to watch over the application process for A&M was in 2017 for my '21 grad. The only thing that has really changed is the SRAR, but wondering if the rest is the same… three tabs changing to five tabs, etc.

At what point do you update the resume submitted in AIS under docs? Some awards are flowing in on pending items - state contests, awards, internships results. One could be considered a top 10 achievement - but the rest are great but not top of the list.

I ask for scholarship review reasons…do they even look at their resume? I heard Admissions does not really look at resumes in AIS. At least not for first review. (We homeschool so holistic and already assigned 1st qtr).

1 Like

It’s 7 tabs but but yes!!!

At our TAMU session, the advisor said to contact the admissions office and let them know. According to them, College Board sends the NMSF names to schools in a printed book and the school has to look you up manually - which they admitted was awful and archaic. They would appreciate it when you call to verify your student as it absolutely helps moves the process along. You may want to ask when and where you’ll see the updated stat in AIS. They said they literally have to wait for the book to be mailed to them so if they don’t have it yet, it won’t be an immediate update.

3 Likes

In AIS upload document.

3 Likes