Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

I’m not sure what you are replying to… Or are you just adding on to my post?

I think it is really important for engineering applicants to know what they are getting into - going into this process with eyes wide open. If an applicant decides in January they dont like the ETAM process, it is too late to apply to UT, which does not have any type of ETAM process.

But I also believe it is very easy to get a 4.0 as a freshman if one hits the ground running, does the recommended homework, and is prepared from HS. Dont want to make anyone think this is not possible.

5 Likes

Twin 1 now has 7 tabs and Major/Overview shows Admitted/Engineering Review.

4 Likes

I’ve discussed the ETAM process with my son at length, and he feels like he’s up to the mark. He’s already been directly admitted to Comp Sci at Texas Tech, UTSA, UTA and UNT, so he has solid safeties (both financially and stats wise) already in the bag. It’s been a relatively stress free process thankfully.

He was not interested in UT Austin even though he’s auto admit there, so no nail biting waiting to see if he gets into his desired major lol.

2 Likes

Just adding regarding to this year change of interface.

1 Like

This is very important especially high school preparation. I believe all students for instance choosing BMEN as first choice are academically good and they are not lazy. Almost all ETAM classes are heavily exam/final graded so high school readiness is very important.

ETAM requirement especially for CS doesn’t really gauge high school CS, we can take the discussion in messages but it is good for students recognizing what they need to prepare as a 12th grade student to be ahead of the curve.

1 Like

Oh I totally agree! His high school Comp Sci classes are a breeze, but he knows that’s not what it’s going to be like at TAMU (or any other college)!

He’ll graduate with 4 Science credits and 5 math credits (currently in AP Physics 2 and AP Calc AB…has a 94 in Calc right now!) and the Distinguished Level of Achievement. I feel like our high school, which is on an accelerated block schedule of only 4 classes a semester, does a good job of preparing our kids for college. My eldest, who is a sophomore at Texas Tech right now, often says that he realizes how lucky he is to graduate from our school because he adjusted to his college classes seamlessly.

When is the absolute earliest a review candidate can hope to hear back?

D23 is ranked 11% SAT 1510 with 11 APs, various EC’s including marching band and a part time job as swim instructor. She is hoping for Mays and submitted app Aug 1 and it went into review Aug 9.

I know our friend who had slightly lower stats (maybe a 1490? Nationally ranked athlete, etc.) than your daughter’s heard back in October last year and did not get Mays even though she got accepted to like 6 other business schools. I did not know how tough it was and I’m sure it depends on whether Mays is a popular choice with the auto-admits.

@lafinafiona any idea when your friend applied last year and their rank?
Mays is ALWAYS popular/sought after! They’re only accepting 1,125 applicants for the 2023-24 school year, so it will be full either October or early November.

I know a girl got into Engineering last year. She had 1450 SAT and top 25% rank. It seems it is easier to get into Engineering than Mays.

If she got in in October then Mays wasn’t full. Mays went into December last year. That wave some got mays and some didn’t. But anyone in October/November admits who put Mays as first choice, got it. If not, then they should have protested.

1 Like

She should hear right after they auto admits or with them. Her stats are too good not to hear back soon. And she’ll get Mays since it won’t be full til November or December (like prior cycles).

1 Like

@ChristiR93 Oof. I’m not going to tell them. Child is at A&M (happy to be!) w/ 2nd choice major and parents assumed Mays was full.

@52AG82 SAT was 1430, straight A’s or close to it, not top 10% at suburban Dallas school but a few APs. I know the parent told me that the kid didn’t take as many AP classes as they could because of their focus on athletics early in high school. I think they applied fairly early, definitely in August but not first week. Do you think rigor kept them out of Mays?

Is there a chance for a too 10% auto admit to be accepted into Mays if the original
2 major choices were both engineering but major is switched now to business in AIS/Howdy?

According to a college rep at a college fair yesterday, admissions decisions should come out today, or early next week. As of 8 am there’s nothing in AIS or Howdy Portal. Top 10% and submitted app on August 2nd.

If top 10%, should already admitted and in engineering review.

If your question is while under engineering review, the applicant changes the first choice to Mays, I will suggest calling AO and ask question in AIS to make sure the process switch to Mays, which right now may still have spots.

Top 10% should already admitted if everything green-checked in AIS with high school transcript submitted proving top 10%. Unless you meant the formal mailing of banners.

If applying engineering, even admitted there will be engineering review process.

Thank you. Your response confirmed our assumption that it would complicated now since he’s already in engineering review. He has 2 acceptable engineering major choices, then business is 3rd choice. Trying to balance the anxieties about ETAM vs pursuing business since Mays is phenomenal opportunity. Think he’ll stick with engineering and shoot for 3.75 (easier said than done I’m sure—but should be motivational)!