Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

NID takes a few days, check email frequently it can be any time.

UTD Galaxy portal should not need accepting admission to see financial aid or scholarship, Make sure you file FAFSA. UTD scholarship usually releases in mid December and continue throughout Spring next year.

2 Likes

My Aggie was accepted to UTD also last year and received a scholarship. She did not accept. She received it in December. Top 10% Scholarship. $1500 per semester for 8 semesters.

1 Like

Are there any students at TAMU who get merit scholarships that cover full COA? I know about the Brown scholarship. Any other options? The student is an NMSF.

NMS will get more than NMSF, there are many more besides Brown.

TAMU released the new handbook for this year.

https://aggie.tamu.edu/getattachment/d76225ad-1859-4cf7-9e5c-0b35b4f65134/2223-Scholarship-Handbook-updated.pdf

2 Likes

@Hike_and_bike NMSF & Finalist will automatically receive President’s Endowed Scholarship.
If student is from one of the underrepresented identified districts in Texas, Century Scholar could be available.
Brown Scholarship is incredible! But, TOUGH to get-they’re looking for true valedictorian/salutatorian (top ten, not %), class leader, NMSF/F, extensive community service, super well rounded/involved…and more. We know a current Brown scholar. Amazing kid! Incredible scholarship & opportunity.

Wow! Thanks for the link. I didn’t know there are so many of them! Can you please educate me on the application/selection process a little bit? Do we have to apply to each scholarship separately or do the admission officers review all applicants and see who qualifies for what?
For example, my daughter was admitted to UTD. There is a link on the student portal to a Terry Foundation scholarship application (also partners with TAMU) that requires a few essays and short answers that are very similar to the questions/essays on the Common App. If I remember correctly there is a scholarship section on the Common App, is it good for anything?
On the other hand, the Brown scholarship does not require a separate application.

1 Like

Each scholarship outlined in the handbook includes the procedures. It is important to file FAFSA as it will allow One-stop (FAID office) offer your student scholarship.
Once accepted, highly achieved students can also report scholarships from other universities, FAID will try to see (also based on FAFSA) who deserves the “counteroffer” from TAMU using Brockman Foundation scholarship for instance.

In general, students have to submit all essays of scholarships during application. Once submitted, it is hard for FAID to get additional information.
Brown doesn’t need application, all accepted with NMSF will be automatically forwarded to Brown for consideration, make sure your student check email as first interview may start as soon as November.

Another reason to file FAFSA is, TAMU has a lot of financial resources. Most families with $130K or less income will get some form of grant. (as little as $250 a semester can add up).

1 Like

@FriscoDad i found it very interesting the Brockman Scholarship is listed!? Do you think it’s there, for the last set of Brockman scholars, or is it coming back?

My freshman Aggie has received several scholarships from A&M. Incoming freshman are considered for scholarships if they complete the scholarship section of the application. National Scholars Scholarships (NMSF and CBNRP) are automatic. The others are competitive. My daughter is a national scholar at A&M via the CBNHRP. She also received 2 recruitment scholarships and one department scholarship. (Not typical.) It is pretty much one application. Some have additional essay questions or an interview. Returning students fill out one application in the winter to be considered for additional scholarships.

3 Likes

Yes. But not in the name of Brockman. Ironically there is balance left.

1 Like

@Hike_and_bike here’s a helpful link

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

@FriscoDad if you are financially well off and know for sure you are not going to get any Federal grant, does it still make sense to file FAFSA? I hear from some others that filing a FAFSA can go against your admission decisions in some cases? I want to file the FAFSA, because it seems the right thing to do, but I am not sure how it will help me, or more importantly will it hurt in anyway. Thoughts?

@Collegemichmatt you won’t be considered for pretty much all scholarships/awards, and that includes merit based only.
Next to positive that would be discrimination, not accepting someone based on their income. Whoever told you that is misinformed.
If you are good not being eligible for any scholarships, don’t file FAFSA.

1 Like

Engineering question - on a Aggie Parent group there are people commenting their students have heard about Engineering admission decisions. Has anyone heard any admissions decisions on engineering specifically?

@Freshman19 i have a friend whose child was admitted a week or two ago, ‘Engineering Review’. They’re Top Ten%/auto admit.
Is that what you’re asking?

Are they in TAMU but still in engineering review? Or are they officially in Engineering.
My friend said he son was admitted to TAMU previously but did not get in Engineering until later.

I just looked at their post. Student has been admitted to TAMU-paid Housing, received the banner-waiting for official word from Engineering.
I don’t think anyone has heard for sure about General Engineering yet.

(I’m a Mays mom-the whole Review/GenEng/ETAM etc is mud to me🤪)

I have a friend whose daughter applied to Engineering last Thursday and received 7 tabs today. She is top 10%.

Does it mean anything if howdy has major as general engineering but only 3 tabs. Review admit good scores and courses.