Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

I applied to Mays today. 1510 SAT. Top 8% at a very competitive high school. Numerous extracurriculars including commended on PSAT and national level placements in club competitions. I will still have to get linked to SRAR and stuff, but what are my chances of mays?

As mentioned above, you have a chance. Make sure everything green-checked in AIS as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Just curious, TAMU Mays doesn’t rank very high why it is so competitive?

2 Likes

Well Texas consistently has over 420K+ 12th graders. So even top 5% is an abundant 21000 12th graders. Now even if just 25% of them want business, that’s almost 5000, top 5%.

Or you look at it this way, Texas has 3240 high schools, now even top 5 (not %) are 16200 students.

In Texas, top 3 business are undeniably UT, TAMU and Rice, and most may apply to all three. TAMU admits around 2000 Mays every year (after yield of 56% , 1125 will enroll). And Mays states clearly “First come first serve”…

And we are talking about top 5% Imagine top 10%. Many already mentioned year over year, apply early. Unless TAMU expands Mays they will have to shrink auto-admit.

3 Likes

Engineering Applicant Question - my application was submitted early October and no updates in Howdy or AIS. Holistic review due to OOS. I recently received email invitation to apply to Engineering Honors program. Does this invite automatically go out to all engineering applicants?

Yes, honors application goes out to all engineering applicants. In the email, it encourages those ranking top 10% of their high school to apply. It is a separate application and the link should be in the email.

SMU Cox is pretty solid too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for that clarification.

Yes, so as TT Rawls, and UTD Jindal. Just referring those top 1% or 5% high school students will apply in general for primary or safeties.

3 Likes

D23 received random email today saying her “in review” application will be decisioned between Jan 1 - March 31st. She got into every other school she has applied - hope she doesn’t loss faith in A&M taking so long - applied 8/3

Your DD applied mid August under Mays, correct? Then did she make the change to meteorology? I do believe they review mays earlier than most for non autos. I’m not sure why she would get that email but based on her stats, I believe that’s an accurate timeline on receiving a decision.

1 Like

@TamuDad15 what majors did she end up applying for? That’s a pretty accurate review timeframe, if not auto admit, no high test scores.
Were the other schools she’s heard back from as competitive? Same majors?

1 Like

Curious to know where did you see that May business school is not highly rated or why do you think so?
I think it is rated top 25 by US News.

2 Likes

I only see the Top 12 in the 2023 US News undergrad b-school rankings. Where does A&M rank?

I believe Mays is #22 in the 2022 rankings in the US for undergraduate business schools.
It is lower (#38) when graduate schools are included. Technically, Rice does not have an undergraduate business degree; however, it does allow for an undergraduate Business Minor, which is often accompanied by an B.S. in Economics. That combo and the caliber of Rice usually puts it into the top 3-programs in Texas. SMU Cox does “ok”, but it just hasn’t been in the same league as UT-McCombs, TAMU-Mays and Rice in terms of the way it is viewed.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever said a negative word about Mays. Not sure what you’re referring to.

Rice now has an undergrad business major (it did not previously)

2 Likes

I was refering to @LuviasTexas following message. Not sure how it referred back to you @LaFinalista

“Mays doesn’t rank very high why it is so competitive?”

1 Like

So patterns I am noticing thus far is that by Tuesday it will show to be either a “dead week” or an “active week” in AIS/7 tabs. At least by people that post activity here. I hope I am wrong on this hump day of a “dead week”. :slightly_smiling_face:. (Just waiting for word like the rest of ya’ll left on this thread - hang in there)

3 Likes

Patiently waiting :slight_smile: I was optimistic that my DS would have heard by now.

2 Likes