Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Only the Naviance data for classes of 2025 and 2026 would apply to admission for class of 2027, I would think, because TAMU had a different metric for auto admit for class of 2024 and before. back then, if you were not top 10%, there were threshold SAT and ACT scores that would get you an auto admit, combined with certain sub-top 10% rank.

There are a ton of pathways to TAMU, other than straight fall admission. If TAMU is true 1st choice there are ways, it is something worth researching.

But I would not give up on the full admit, just I think folks are trying to set the expectation that news may come well into Spring semester. For comfort, you could come up with a plan A, B, and C, so when you get your decision you will be ready to pull the trigger.

5 Likes

Is the first review cycle mostly for Mays and Engineering? Have you seen decisions made for other colleges such as Arts/Sciences in the early review?

There was a first review cycle mid October. My daughter is in the 18th percentile at her school and that’s when she was accepted (Oct 11 - seven tabs. AIS showed accepted Oct 13). Major: Allied Health.

4 Likes

My DD is non-auto and was also accepted on Oct 13th. She was very excited!
Major: Public Health

2 Likes

I’m a little surprised that my daughter hasn’t been accepted to at least her back-up yet. No, she’s not auto-admit. She’s top quartile – probably very close to 23%-24%, but it’s a competitive school. She has a 1530 SAT (single sitting), 34 ACT (single sitting) and three (3) APs with scores of 5 and three (3) APs with scores of 4. Her first choice was Mays, and I get that she might not get that, but why hasn’t she gotten her back up yet? Is that pool that strong?

@SlimJim005 I’m shocked with such high ACT & SAT your daughter hasn’t been accepted to either major choice holistically yet. I’m guessing it’s her class rank? Yes, the pool really must be THAT strong & high. Hang on for the next wave…

@ChristiR93 & @FriscoDad can shed more intel…

Top quarter with those scores should have been receiving acceptance by Christmas, I would think, but what’s the rest of her app look like? ECs/leadership/work/etc.

2 Likes

If you are Class of 94, as I am, it WAS easy when you applied! Good luck and deep breaths…

2 Likes

@52AG82 @ChristiR93 She was “commended” for high PSAT score and chosen to be a newspaper writer by English Dept and sent to a US camp this summer for journalism. She’s a dancer, not drill team but pre-professional; so, all her outside time goes to that, which is about 20-25 hours per week.

2 Likes

My daughter had a 1290 SAT. Tompkins HS in Katy. She did accept Blinn Team, Kinesiology major and She absolutely loves it. She is taking her Bio and Calc at Rellis and Nutrition and Pols 207 at A&M. All A’s as of now so fingers crossed. She said AP Bio really helped her find Bio easy at Rellis.
Good luck to your daughter

3 Likes

Oh my son is at Tompkins HS! I’m glad your daughter is enjoying Blinn Team. I think Tompkins prepares kids very well.

I’m a bit surprised my son hasn’t been admitted yet. He has a 1410 SAT and AIS assigned him as top 15%. His first choice was Computing. He just took the SAT again last weekend. Lots of leadership, 4 years band, lots of APs, etc.

Maybe because Computing is a small major?

I called TAMU today to ask if my D should switch major preferences at this point to improve her chances of admission to the university. The representative explained that if a kid gets into TAMU, but both of their top two majors are full, then the kid will receive an email listing available majors and the kid can select from that list. Has anyone in real life experienced this?

I had heard that kids would get put into “University Studies” if they didn’t get their top two. But everything I’ve read on this board suggested that kids who don’t get their top two majors get offered Blinn Team or PSA or rejected outright. So looking for any real world examples of kids who were accepted but not to either of their preferred majors.

1 Like

My son has same SAT but lower class rank. He applied to biomedical science which is a very large major and we are still waiting too. I wonder if the size of major really matters?

2 Likes

University studies is not general studies which is what I think you are trying to say. University studies is a degree with 2 minors and several colleges had this, like Mays, but not sure it’s still a thing. Mays dropped it over the summer.

If your major is full,the person you spoke to is correct. You’ll pick a different available major.

5 Likes

Size of major only matters if it’s available at the time you’re accepted. Smaller majors obviously fill up faster. It’s not more competitive or selective, there are just fewer spots.

2 Likes

Thank you so much.

I thought someone said that smaller majors are reviewed later in the process than larger ones.

Not for initial admission decisions. You’re admitted to Tamu first. If your major is open, then you are put in it. They say they don’t accept based on major. Even engineering you’re admitted first then they’ll see if you are a good fit for Eng in general. If not, they’ll contact you for an alternative choice of major.

3 Likes

oh wow. my silly son also applied with no test score… we homeschool so no ranking. he does have 4.0 in high school and college courses he’s taken through West Texas A&M. but he doesn’t really have much extracurricular to speak of. his older brother got 36 on ACT so he wasn’t too worried and older sister didn’t test well but still got in so I was hoping #3 would get accepted too. still too early to tell … I figured he’d at least get PSA bc he’s automatically admitted to West Texas A&M bc of his grades there.

they don’t accept based on major just college.