Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

it’s not too late now. He can contact TAMU admissions to update his application with 2nd major preference.

Great idea! I’ll have him do that this evening. Thanks!

Amityg your son and my daughter have the same stats - we are in Austin as well and her sister is TAMU 2025. She applied 8/3 and checks her Howdy 2x per day. She applied for Meterology anxiously waiting. Her sister D23 applied 8/3 2021 and heard 10/29/21. It’s been a nail biter.

1 Like

We can totally relate!!! Best wishes for your daughter! The waiting is hard!

@ChristiR93 Is it in my son’s best interest to choose another major within School of Architecture as is second choice for major? I think he’d try to change Construction Science after freshmen year if he is accepted to TAMU and doesn’t get that as his first choice.

Architecture fills up quick. I would choose outside of this in something that has some of the same degree requirements so he can change major to CS easily.

2 Likes

FWIW, you may want to look at the Construction Engg major at Iowa State as an option. From what I know, Iowa State engg programs are quite good. Admission is based on RAI (index that is a combination of GPA, SAT/ACT and core courses) and is known instantaneously after filling out the form, which takes 5 minutes (no essays etc). Based on your son’s stats, he should easily get admittance. The automatic scholarships for OOS students would put this also in the range of in-state tuition at TAMU. Just a thought you may want to consider.

3 Likes

Great idea. Thank you @nj04

We did the same for S23 as a back up option in Industrial Engg. We are in NJ and OOS scholarship at Iowa State is $11k a year resulting in COA of $25k (including $10k in Room and Board). This is actually cheaper than in-state at Rutgers at $29k.

Howdy friends! Another potential future “COSC Aggie parent” here! :slight_smile:

Thankful a good friend pointed me to this site. Like many on here we’re patiently waiting to hear about our son’s TAMU Construction Science (School of Architecture) application… still “In Review” :slight_smile:

We’re in similar boat as others on here…
super-competitive high school (CPHS) in NW Austin – smart kid in a sea of smart (and smarter) kids…but no one harder working!

QUESTION: Any tips, advice or encouragement to pass along to my hard-working son? We’re thinking this holistic review process could take awhile. :slight_smile:

NOTE: His goal is TAMU COSC degree and Corps of Cadets AFROTC. Then serve in Air Force for 4 or 8 years then jump into private sector construction career.

These are his stats:

• TAMU Major: Construction Science (School of Architecture)
  • Corp of Cadets (Squad 3) – Air Force ROTC
  • CPHS Rank 20% (94 of 467)
  • Weighted GPA: 4.98
  • Unweighted GPA: 3.84
  • SAT (not submitted since “lowish” – 1200)
  • rigorous coursework (AP and dual credit) all four years
  • four year multi-athlete (baseball, football and wrestling)
  • tons of leadership and student activities (NHS, FCA, FFA, Young Life counselor)
  • held part-time job year-round since age 15 (six mos at Chick-fil-A; 16 mos at Rudy’s BBQ)

Many thanks!! :+1:

I happy to hear that your son loves Maritime Academy. Dream of my son is Maritime Transportation major. He loves Galveston from first sight :grinning:

His SAT is 1440, transcript of straight “A”. GPA is 4.0 in community college courses. He is competitive swimmer; he speaks 6 languages and have have deep knowledge of Maritime History.
What do you think? What is his chances?

He should get in with no problem with those stats. Has he applied? He needs to apply directly to TAMU Galveston and not just TAMU main campus. He will love it!!!

2 Likes

Has your son applied for the AFROTC scholarship? My experience is that if he gets it, A&M will admit him.

1 Like

Great application. He’ll have no trouble being accepted to tamug. Has he applied and I’d so, when? They usually accept pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Yes, he applied to TAMUG in beginning of October.
He have “sailor’s soul” :slight_smile: He only applied to oceanfront colleges, but Galveston is his favorite place.
Thank you for your generous words. Waiting is so hard!!

2 Likes

Yes he has applied for the AFROTC scholarship. Thank you for your reply! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

@ChristiR93 - Good morning! Any initial impressions of my son’s body of work and his odds of acceptance to Construction Science (definitely in the holistic review category)?

From other comments above it sounded like announcement may not be coming until March or so.

Any advice on a related backup major that could be a close fit (with respect to degree plan) to facilitate possible future transfer to COSC (without losing hours)? Thank you!

My son’s stats looked almost exactly like your son’s (all but FFA). I bet he’ll get the scholarship and then get in right away. My son graduated from A&M in 2021 and is serving now. Good luck and please try to circle back to let me know how it goes! :pray:

2 Likes

@kaydeeloo Love hearing this encouragement! Thank you! Yes, will definitely keep you posted!

What outfit was your son in in the Corps? My son was going to join H2 but they disbanded last year so now hed like to join Squad 3 (he’s done four Spend-the-Night w/the Corps visits the last couple years).

What is your son doing today in the Air Force and what are his long term career goals?

1 Like

Mine is actually Army, not AF, but I still bet your son will get the scholarship. My daughter will be a freshman at A&M next year. :slight_smile: She was accepted mid October. Excited to have another Aggie kiddo!

3 Likes