Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

Human Resources and Agribusiness. He knows there’s zero chance of Mays, so he’s going with those.

@Lavalocks19 only thing I know about Human Resources is it’s in School of Ed. AgriBus will be more competitive.
What does he want to do eventually?
What’s his rank-that determines a lot.
Let @ChristiR93 weigh in on including 1300 or going test optional.

He unfortunately is in the 2nd quarter. (horrible 10th grade year~ all A’s last year couldn’t change that! ) We know getting in will be a stretch, but hoping for a TEAM offer. Thanks for reply!

1 Like

Congratulations!

Not yet!

1 Like

@Lavalocks19 with a 2nd Q rank, I think I’d send in the 1300, and hopefully replace it with an even higher score from the Aug SAT.
You’ve got a current Blinn TEAM kid, so you know it’s a great program. Does seem like last year fewer were offered TEAM-but that’s just based on some posts I saw (nothing published).
At worst, he’ll be offered PSA. Snag a spot at TAMUCC, do a year there, then direct admit to A&M Main campus (assuming he fulfills the reqs).

My ds (homeschool applicant) completed his application on 8/1
AIS email 8/4
SRAR linked and class rank assigned 8/8
SAT: 1440 (so far. Taking in again on 8/28)
Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Class rank: Top 25% (just like big brother who had a 1390 SAT)
Major: Engineering
Desires Corps of Cadets and is applying for ROTC scholarships

Now to wait…

Big brother (got accepted into Engineering for class of 2026 but went elsewhere) got his acceptance in late October. We were thrilled with the timing of that and would be happy with that this year too.

3 Likes

Definitely submit that 1300. Also, if he showed improvement in grades, they’ll look at that too. So yay. If he has a strong essay with why he may have struggled etc, that too will be helpful.

Now submit, retake and get even higher.

2 Likes

My son’s application is now in review. He’s considered homeschooled. They put him in the first quartile ranking. (No mention of the new HS Law putting homeschoolers in the top 10% if their test scores are where the top 10% kids’ test scores are.) Mays is his first choice.

Submitted app 8/1
Downloaded 8/4
AIS access 8/8
SRAR linked and application in review 8/10

1510 SAT
Student body President, Lots of EC and DC
NMSF very possible (will know by the end of the month)
All A’s!

2 Likes

If there is no"C" grade in SRAR, chance of assigning top 10% is high.

2 Likes

Do you think they will change the ranks of homeschoolers after already assigning to top 25%?

My daughter had a 1460 and was assigned first quartile.

If a 1510 isn’t top 10%, they aren’t using the scores like the law states. Top 10% of nationwide SAT is around 1350. The only way I see a 1510 not being top 10%, is if the school is calling it not the top 10% of homeschool students who submitted scores, or even not top 10% of overall submitted scores, neither of which address the intent of the legislature.

1 Like

The technical bump here for the amendment made on 5/3/2023 in terms of SAT scores, was that it will not be effective until September 1st 2023. (Go figure why a law need to take a summer vacation?) That said, the admission office may need to wait to execute the law.

On the other hand, the goal of the law is to have 75% of TAMU and UT students as “first-time undergraduate Texas residents”. Given the explosion of Texas population, the definition of “top 10%” will not likely be the “national” average, which is 1350. It will likely be the departmental admission average recorded in TAMU DARS service. For example Mays top 10% is 1460, General Engineering top 10% is 1500. But note that those were last year’s data, this year can change. On top of that, TAMU admission may also look into SRAR course strength indexes to determine the final rank.

My suggestion is definitely challenge that rank assignment but be courteous via “ask question” in AIS because it is not human error, the initial assignment is likely computer generated.

2 Likes

He is planning to! Thanks!!

Okay, not laughing at y’all but the idea of a “homeschooled” student body president has me giggling. I’m picturing a lot of vigorous campaigning at the dinner table and bribing the younger siblings for their votes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

My guess is the DC school.

1 Like

That is a pretty funny thought! He actually attends Veritas Scholars Academy which is an online classical Christian international school. He campaigned and was voted in by the student body! :blush: Because of the nature of the school, the students are considered “homeschooled”.

2 Likes

I figured it was something like that. Sounds like a great experience!

3 Likes

Finally got D24 to log on and her application is complete and she was assigned first quarter! Now onto the interminable holistic wait… She’s already been accepted to two other colleges so at least we know she’s going somewhere. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Woohoo! But also sorry for the wait! :heart:

My daughter is top 10% (5 out of 755) and scored a 1300 on her first try. Since she’s told by counselors that she “should” be auto admitted, so she decided not to take again. She plans on majoring in Biology and hopes to transfer to Nursing. So was she given the correct advice?

1 Like