Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

She has approx. a 5.7/6 GPA

Yes your student will be admitted.

2 Likes

Curious on thoughts for my son’s acceptance into May’s school.

14% on rank out of a class of 853 students, very competitive 6A HS
HS GPA weighted 6.62, unweighted 3.9
30 college dual credit hours GPA 3.9
A ton of activities - 3 varsity letters in soccer, football and basketball
Select soccer club captain
South TX Olympic Development Soccer Team
Distinguished Honor Roll & Honor Roll
National Honor Society & Phi Beta Kappa - College Honor Society
Lots of various church activities and volunteer hours
Job as soccer referee

Not submitting SAT or ACT scores

Application submitted on 8/2 and now the wait begins.

2 Likes

My daughter’s best friend who went to a competitive 6A school has very similar ranking/credentials including lots of service hours, applied to Mays and only was offered PSA right before spring break. I’m only telling you this so he has a backup plan.

Is the college of business / Mays an option for PSA admission?

@AggieDad1996 no, Mays is not an option, thru PSA.
What was his 2nd choice major?
Any AP classes, or just Dual Credit?

1 Like

All DC classes. Economics was second choice, but really focused on accounting after two full years of HS classes.

Also, interested in joining Corp of Cadets.

2 Likes

@AggieDad1996 has he shown interest in the Corps? As in, attended a sleepover (that’s not the correct term, but they offer a Night With the Corps kinda thing)?
@ChristiR93 is admissions guru, especially when it comes to Mays…wait for her to weigh in.

1 Like

Yes, spent the night with Corp and attended several additional events.

Any idea on what % of Mays students are outside of the top ten? The math doesn’t look favorable on holistic review….freshman class of around ~ 12,500 and only 1,000 spots for Mays. That would probably only leave for a very small percentage. My guess would be less than 10% or even smaller.

Holistic for Mays was 13.7% last year. Econ may fair better at 64% for holistic.

If SAT (public high school has free SAT day) is 1350+ still submit it. Test optional mainly favors the auto-admit.

1 Like

@AggieDad1996 1,125 freshman are admitted to Mays (it increased from 1,000 a couple years ago).

@FriscoDad is the stats guru, he’ll be able to tell you how many admitted non Top Ten% this past year. Tho it can change every year, depending on how many apply and when it fills.

That’s good he’s shown interest with the Corps!

*Friscodad and I must’ve been typing at the same time. He’s the keeper of stats!

2 Likes

@FriscoDad thanks very helpful!

Any thoughts on the drivers for the large decrease in holistic acceptance for Mays YoY from 2021 vs 2022? Wouldn’t be surprised if the 2023 data was even lower due to the increase in applications from top ten students.

1 Like

Since total enrollment was constant (1125 last year), admission office will have to wait for auto-admit Mays applicants confirming enrollment through NSC registration before sending out admission letters to holistic applicants.

Last year, 794 auto-admit Mays students registered for NSC before mid January, so admission office had to reduce holistic applicants admission numbers. After end of January, the remaining holistic applicants were offered Blinn Team around Feb, then PSA (although no practical path to Mays) and so on.

We know someone with similar stats except a perfect math SAT and offers for D1 sport (though not at A&M) and they were denied Mays and given 2nd choice major. SInce no one knows how many top 10 kids are going to pick Mays (and therefore fill in the seats before they get to all the amazing holistic kids), it’s always good to start having the conversation: do you want to be an Aggie or do you want to be a business major?

So this is an interesting response from A&M to my son. He asked about the homeschoolers being included in the top 10% per the new law. Here’s their response:

If a student does not provide a test score then we assign a ranking based on the courses taken and grades earned. In your case, you attend a recognized virtual school that is approved by the state and federal government by virtue of having been issued a CEEB code and is not considered a ‘homeschool.’ That said, please know that you were assigned a ranking of 85% and that combined with your test score should make you very competitive for admission to the university.

My question for you admissions gurus: since my kids aren’t public school or technically homeschool, they can’t benefit from the new law even if they do make a test score high enough to be included with the top 10%. Do you think the virtual school classes hold more value with TAMU than homeschool classes on their transcript?

The key here is “a recognized virtual school approved by state/federal government”.

All schools (even non-ranking) are required by Texas law to provide GDR (grade distribution report) to universities. Most of the GDRs are in the format of quartile score/GPA range. TAMU assign your student based on that data.

Your student still stands very good chance with a very high SAT score.

I guess the school and course rigor alone got him top 15%? Is that a proper guess?

Also, since he’s holistic, even with that 1510 SAT, will he not hear back until Jan about acceptance into Mays?

If they place him in the top 10% because of his SAT, does that mean he has the same chance as the auto admit kids of getting into Mays?

If he got placed top 10%, acceptance already out. TAMU actually get the grade distribution data even if the school is on line basis.

Some Mays holistic with high scores got acceptance before winter break. Good Luck!

2 Likes

I would suggest sending in his SAT score. My son had similar rankings/Stats and he went in review and mays fills up fast. He finally was able to take the SAT in 2020 October and he sent in his 1360 and was admitted 6 days later.

2 Likes

After they look at top 10%, they will review what they’ll consider non bubble students (like your son with over 1500). He will most likely hear in late October or November. They seem to be moving much quicker this cycle than we’ve ever seen (even when they had an app date of July 1st). So hopefully that continues on into holistic students.

FYI even if he gets Econ (which he may love), he’s obviously a smart kiddo and can always apply to change major to Mays after 30 Tamu hours! It’s doable.

1 Like