Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

1 Like

Rice is a longshot for everyone but if your son doesn’t get into UT and A&M for Engineering I will be shocked.

1 Like

If my son’s Howdy page went from 7 tabs back to 3… what might that mean?
AIS still shows green check marks on all requirements…
Last we checked his status was “engineering review”… but now i can’t remember where we saw that.

1 Like

Did they update his class rank to be something other than top 10 percent?

In looking back, I see you have a homeschooler. I’m wondering if they pulled back a bunch of homeschooler apps since they have the September 1 deadline to start supporting auto-admits of homeschoolers and might not have been doing it during August. Just a random thought, as I can’t remember ever seeing someone get 6/7 tabs and then reverting back.

@emgarci the magical number of tabs is 6, not 7.
If your student is homeschooled, I’d be floored if he already got acceptance. What quartile did A&M give your son?

There are references to 6 and 7 tabs starting in the “class of 2026” thread. Is there a difference? We’re waiting on acceptance right now, too. :slight_smile:

We were definitely at 7 tabs (not 6).

The top ten designation still has green check mark but perhaps they took him off.

His major options used to say (I think) 1) engineering review and 2) petroleum engineering.

Right now it says 1) mechanical engineering and 2) petroleum engineering.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they took him out of top ten perhaps. Chucks… but will roll with the punches….

Definitely keep us posted. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Just confirmed AIS now shows top quarter… so he was reclass Ed from top ten to top quarter… rolling with the punches.

What’s the new Texas top ten % rule for homeschoolers?

1 Like

:pray::crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Someone mentioned upthread that a homeschooler with high scores could be assigned to be within the top 10% in AIS. The rule apparently goes into effect 9/1, and I think it’s unclear at this point whether AIS is currently doing it or not.

1 Like

What was his SAT/ACT score?

Here’s the new Texas law: HB 3993
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/html/HB03993F.htm

Note that HB3993 amendment is not using national SAT/ACT scores as base, but the admitted students’ major top 10% scores as base.

In general, it actually makes the automatic admission score requirement higher for home school applicants to competitive public colleges like TAMU and UT.

Texas automatic admission law may give people impression admission is easier (if one counts on google to research college application). Many top 10% public high school students have no incentive to work hard on scores or even going test optional. This draws down the average for university as a whole. However, competitive major like Visualization, its top 10% scores SAT/ACT are 1540/35.

For TAMU, on line high school may not be considered as home school, so as students withdrew from public high schools at 10th or 11th grades. Those likely require complete holistic reviews.

1 Like

My daughter applied Aug 1 last year. She was in-state holistic review (assigned top 25% in AiS coming out of a competitive public high school that doesn’t rank, decent SAT - 1320) and applied to College of Architecture/Con. Sci - so not a big/popular major. She had a very strong application (lots of APs, ECs,) but was not a lock. She was accepted on Dec. 15.

4 Likes

1390, 760 math

1 Like

Thank you for this. My D24 has very similar stats (and a nonranking HS) and she is also applying to CoSc so this is very helpful.

1 Like

I may be reading the HB3993 amendment incorrectly and apologize if so. It seems to me that the standardized scores are compared to all admitted students and ranked rather than major specific. Am I reading this wrong? Please let me know.

"If an institution of higher education in its undergraduate admission review process sorts applicants by high school graduating class rank, the institution shall place any applicant who presents evidence that the applicant has successfully completed a nontraditional secondary education that does not include a high school graduating class ranking at the average high school graduating class rank of undergraduate applicants to the institution who have equivalent standardized testing scores as the applicant."

1 Like

I read it as… standardized scores are compared to all applicants (vs admitted) and ranked accordingly. I agree with inherent assumption that it would be non-major specific.

1 Like

Now that I think about your comment… if a homeschooler must be compared against applicants, assigned rank may not be finalized until some critical mass of applications are submitted… and it would be based on applicants that submitted test scores only which may skew the hurdle scores high.

3 Likes