Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

From my D23’s NSC presentation, I definitely understood that anyone who had a LOT of DC was going to have more complications at A&M because of the residency requirement (I think that was the name - it was basically a requirement that a student has to take a certain number of courses at A&M) and also this: “students with more than 40 hours of dual credit are not eligible to participate in alternative admission programs such as Blinn TEAM and Gateway.”

It’s not about the quality of AP vs DC, it’s about the flexibility a student has to spend 4 years at the university.

2 Likes

Found the rules I was thinking of:

14.21 Residence Requirement. A minimum of 25% of coursework applying to a degree must be completed in residence at Texas A&M University.

14.22 Upper-level Residence Requirement. A minimum of 36 hours of 300-and/or 400-level course work must be successfully completed in residence at Texas A&M University to obtain a baccalaureate degree. In all cases, a minimum of 12 of these 36 semester hours must be in the major.

2 Likes

My daughter applied on August 17 and is a top 10% auto admit. I can confirm that she sees the same thing in her Howdy portal. She very quickly had the seven tabs and shows her major, classification as freshman, and active status. Also, all of her transcripts and other stuff were validated and showed green marks in AIS very quickly. So maybe they are processing the auto admits faster than normal!

4 Likes

Thanks ! It does get confusing! That large number of hours does complicate things, especially at a school the size of TAMU. Totally agree ! If a student with 42 hours got direct admit to the campus , I do think she could very meticulously degree plan to meet the residency and upper level criteria of the majors she had talked about. If not admitted and with no Blinn team, transfer might be tricky with the 60 hour upper limit on some majors.
The AP vs Dual long post was responding to the blanket statement that A&M prefers AP over DC due to the inconsistent rigor comment up thread. Now if the advisors can talk students into not accepting their AP credit and taking the class at A&M that is probably true. I think the profs miss those days of high school kids taking high school classes and college classes were for college! I kind of miss that too!

1 Like

I found this too:

1.9.1 Initial submission: All degree-seeking undergraduate students must submit their initial degree plan the term following the term in which they complete 30 semester credit hours. Students admitted with 30 or more cumulative semester credit hours must submit their degree plan the semester they are admitted.

So any incoming freshman who has >30 credit hours has to file a degree plan immediately AND >36 hours can’t get into Blinn TEAM. IMO, our student with 42 hours needs to make a plan they’re okay with and have a backup school plan because they’re not going to have a lot of wiggle room at TAMU

2 Likes

Applied Math

1 Like

Don’t let the degree plan submission worry you. It’s required every semester for most students. It changes constantly as best laid plans aren’t always obtainable each semester.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your help!

You may hear earlier than most b/c your daughter’s rank is so high, but last year, the Aug 1 holistic applicants starting hearing in large numbers after Thanksgiving. Somewhat dependent on the major, but by way of example, my daughter was in-state holistic and heard on Dec. 15. So you shouldn’t have to wait until March and given her awesome stats, I’d suspect you hear in November or before. But don’t panic. She’s got an incredible shot. She and you should be super proud.

Oh it doesn’t worry me as I made all my kids choose AP over DC because of the possibility of them going OOS. After D23’s NSC, I see that it’s still the better choice for her, but everyone has different goals for how to get through college!

1 Like

Based on the calculator, fees + room and board and basic expenses comes to 60K

Is it common to pay sticker prices for out of state at TAMU?

1 Like

Thank you so much for this response. The wait is pure agony, I am a planner and I’m paying housing deposits for a few other colleges also just to make sure she has a decent shot at a dorm somewhere lol I am just ready to know and start planning :slight_smile: The thought of December or March is so hard to think about. I am truly praying she will find out sooner. I appreciate your kind words so much. We have every finger crossed she makes it in!

1 Like

@Amven it is definitely a lot more expensive to attend A&M as an incoming OOS student. The only way to get ‘in state’ rate is by NM or receiving $4,000 in TAMU scholarships (which is pretty difficult, especially if not NM S/F).

1 Like

Hello. My son applied 8/1 and will be holistic review. He goes to a very small private school that doesn’t rank. GPA is 3.9 UW. He has 18 hours of DC and loads of community service, activities, part time job, etc. His 1st choice major is Business and 2nd is AgBusiness. I have 2 questions…

1. He has dyslexia and is a terrible standardized test taker. He mentioned it in his essay. He has taken the SAT and ACT so many times and his current score is 1200. He just took the test again (8/26) and will continue to take it until he is accepted or rejected. Should we submit the 1200 now and hope to get it higher? If not, should he ever submit the 1200 if he never gets a higher score?
  2. He was just elected to be the NJHS president. Should we let A&M know? If so, how?
2 Likes

If not able to improve beyond 1350 try go test optional. If assigned rank is first quartile, focus on the essay.

Yes, any EC can mention in essay and student resume.

He already submitted his application and mentioned his difficulties with standardized tests in the essay. Now that he has submitted his application how does he add the information about NHS president?

Submit student resume via document upload in AIS. Student resume is not the same as job application resume. Student resume can be more detail and more than one page.

1 Like

my high school only gives rank to top 10%, and the rest of the kids are unranked, so A&M would assign me a rank right?

2 Likes

Correct. They use the info from your SRAR to do this

Gulp… 1350?

1 Like